User Tag List

First 28363738

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    @nonsequitur @Seymour I think there's a 75% chance I'll like it, because my dad loves it (he lived in Thailand and the Philippines for a while) and there's a 75% chance I'll like any weird food he likes. (Seymour, it was actually my dad's favorite ice cream flavor when he was abroad!)
    You are brave. I saw it on an episode of Chopped once and all the chefs complained about having to cook with it.
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

@nonsequitur @Seymour I think there's a 75% chance I'll like it, because my dad loves it (he lived in Thailand and the Philippines for a while) and there's a 75% chance I'll like any weird food he likes. (Seymour, it was actually my dad's favorite ice cream flavor when he was abroad!)
    I was born in Thailand (although not genetically Thai). I still understand why hotels in Thailand often have a "no durian" sign.

Update: @Hard I think it smells a little like rotting meat, but different enough that that's not really an accurate description. Definitely not like poo.
    Likes Hard, EJCC liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Showbread View Post
    You are brave. I saw it on an episode of Chopped once and all the chefs complained about having to cook with it.
    Every time I hear of it I hear someone saying it smells like rot or poo. I... don't get the appeal.

Never seen or smelled it in person though so it's difficult to say as if people like it, there *has* to be some kind of goodness about it?
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!
    Likes nonsequitur liked this post

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

Those sound like they would be AMAZING if you did something to make the potato spicy... But, that's just me. We all know that I like just about everything to be spicy.

I have been faithfully rock climbing twice a week for the last few months and have actually gotten moderately good at it! Next order of business on that agenda is learning to lead climb which I want to do SO BAD! I'm skilled enough for class at the rock where I climb, but climbing partner/boyfriend is not quite there yet. You need to be very solidly a 10c/d climber, he sometimes still struggles on 10a/b. Oh, and if you are interested in what that means: Guide to rock climbing grades.

Unfortunately, my back is not thrilled about the climbing. I really need to do more physical therapy, but I won't have insurance that covers it until January. So, I have to keep waiting. I stopped going in July because it was too expensive.

For food, I've been trying to do less meat. I was pretty successful last week, this week has been a different story. However, I did make Copycat Olive Garden Minestrone Soup. I loosely followed this recipe, which is vegan. I doubled the all the vegetables, including canned tomatoes, and left out one of the cans of white beans. Next time I will add some extra broth to make it soupier, all the extra veggies made it pretty chunky.

Tonight I am making a vegan stir fry, but not really using a recipe. It will include:

- Frozen green beans
    - Carrots
    - Zucchini
    - Mushrooms
    - Ginger
    - Rice noodles
    - Scallions
    - Soy sauce
    - Sesame oil
    - Chili powder
    - Rice vinegar
    - Almonds (forgot to buy cashews)
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

Likes EJCC liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I tried durian popsicles!

It's important to note that because they are popsicles, they don't smell like anything. Because the smell is a non-issue, when I tried it, I didn't see what the fuss was about. Yes it tastes a bit rotten, but not significantly more than mango IMO. It was like if you crossed mango with pineapple, and made it more... musty? It didn't gross me out at all. I liked it fine. Probably won't actively seek it out again, unless it's to try the actual fruit.

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Verdicts:

I bought durian popsicles, and they were actually... pretty good. Like if you combined mango and pineapple and made it more aftertaste-y and kind of funky. I'm definitely not throwing the popsicles away, but will eat the rest of them when it's more seasonally appropriate.

The kimchi ramen was good! I accidentally doubled the amount of kimchi, so it was VERY potent, but I'm excited to remedy that when I eat the leftovers tomorrow. (Side note: I loved making the homemade broth. It made me want to start saving veggie scraps to make my own broth more often.)

The tortellini soup was pretty underwhelming, for the amount of work involved. But then again, I've found that most pasta+cheese+red sauce recipes tend to underwhelm me unless I add something bitter to counteract the sweet and savory. So I added some frozen spinach, and it was a LOT better. (Would not make again, though. Too much work.)

@Showbread you were right that the sweet potatoes were amazing with extra spice. I added a lot of sriracha tabasco, and they were SO GOOD.

Likes nonsequitur liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so
    Likes EJCC, Showbread, Captain_Invincible liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Belated New Year's Resolution: Eat more in keeping with the "plate" (i.e. the replacement for the food pyramid): more veggies and fruit and protein relative to pasta/wheat/grain. And hopefully wean myself off desserts, for the most part. I know that when you eat them less, you crave them less. And I only really eat them when they're around anyway. So best not to keep them around.

Related: This Is What 200 Calories Worth Of Different Foods Looks Like