User Tag List

First 2735363738 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

I'm considering altering my diet quite a bit. I've been considering embracing a plant based whole foods diet for awhile now but haven't because it sounds like SO much work. If I went hardcore this would involve cutting out:

- Wheat
    - All animal products
    - Any refined grain
    - Any refined sugar
    - Fish

I may try to do it in baby steps, cutting out each of those groups one at a time. Maybe even taking an 80/20 approach as well. This would be a HUGE undertaking. But, it's been something I've been considering since I watched Forks Over Knives 2 years ago.
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Showbread View Post
    I'm considering altering my diet quite a bit. I've been considering embracing a plant based whole foods diet for awhile now but haven't because it sounds like SO much work. If I went hardcore this would involve cutting out:

- Wheat
    - All animal products
    - Any refined grain
    - Any refined sugar
    - Fish

I may try to do it in baby steps, cutting out each of those groups one at a time. Maybe even taking an 80/20 approach as well. This would be a HUGE undertaking. But, it's been something I've been considering since I watched Forks Over Knives 2 years ago.
    no you might as well just not eat and die if you're gonna do that.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    no you might as well just not eat and die if you're gonna do that.
    TBH that was my first thought.

Seriously though: Why get rid of so much? As I understand it, the diet with the most science to back it up is a balanced diet: mostly plants, with some grains and some protein sources. Minimal bad fats, minimal dessert-based sugars. No full-on elimination. No deprivation.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!
    Likes Forever, prplchknz, Red Herring liked this post

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I'm just feeling kind of like my mom right now. I don't feel like cooking much. I think I'm just going to make some soup. I just want to drink a beer every day after I get home, so there's that similarity also. Do you folks have any tips for getting me interested in cooking again?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Showbread View Post

- Wheat
    - All animal products
    - Any refined grain
    - Any refined sugar
    - Fish

Been there done that (or something similar). If you're the sort of person who enjoys researching your food, planning meals in advance, spending hours upon hours at the market, enjoy exactly zero junk/fast food and have the exceptional focus, cooking aid, or excess time to manage it all, go for it.

It didn't work for me because it was moderately expensive (you're basically only eating produce and certain legumes), was inconvenient in a college environment, and severely limited the flexibility of being able to walk into the kitchen and whip up a meal on the spot.

Perhaps your in a better position for it though.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Well, now that I FINALLY don't have a cold/flu/fever/aches and pains, and FINALLY don't have a million and one things to do, I've started cooking things and exercising again! After over a week of sitting around and eating canned soup and Lean Cuisine.

Once I made two easy recipes (curry egg drop soup, and my favorite egg bake), I decided to celebrate my return to the cooking world by making one of my favorite cold weather comfort foods: Moroccan spiced sweet potato shepherd's pie -- without chickpeas and with 80% lean ground beef. Amazing as always.

The rest of my menu for the week:
    - More of those egg bakes
    - My favorite baked oats recipe, with apples, raisins, and walnuts
    - Breakfast for dinner: baked acorn squash with Greek yogurt, honey, and any remaining walnuts
    - Something with black beans and salsa, because I have leftover salsa and black beans from making chilaquiles for my roommate and her fiancee over the weekend. Maybe I'll make single serving chilaquiles just for me?

I also went for a run for the first time in several weeks, with my new running shoes... and my legs started hurting again. My new theory on this is that since I've started listening to Spotify running playlists and have started running in time to music, I've been hitting the concrete too hard with each step. So I'm going to do some yoga, use the ol' foam roller on my thighs for a bit, and try again without running exactly in time to music. Hopefully that will help. If not, then I'll start worrying about IT band syndrome.

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Next food mission: finding some durian. I've never had it before and it's on my bucket list so I'm gonna carpe the hell out of this diem.

Where To Buy Fresh Durian | The Kitchn

Good excuse for me to schlep over to the Asian market. I'd wanted to make my (bi)monthly curry paste run, anyway. Plus I could buy Thai eggplants for said curries. And maybe pork belly for Vietnamese vermicelli noodle bowls. Oh my god, so many options.

Likes Xann, nonsequitur, Red Herring liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Next food mission: finding some durian. I've never had it before and it's on my bucket list so I'm gonna carpe the hell out of this diem.

Good excuse for me to schlep over to the Asian market. I'd wanted to make my (bi)monthly curry paste run, anyway. Plus I could buy Thai eggplants for said curries. And maybe pork belly for Vietnamese vermicelli noodle bowls. Oh my god, so many options.
    I'll be... umm... interested to hear what you think of Durian. Even in candy or ice cream form... too much for me!
    Likes EJCC liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post

Durian is a common local food here and a sort of initiation/hazing process for expats. I'd advise:
    - eat it on newspaper sheets to throw out.. as far away from your house/apartment as possible, or outside the door of a neighbour you dislike
    - if you buy it in the shell, keep the shell and run water over the inside, using that to wash your hands afterwards. That apparently reduces the smell.
    - drink lots of water after, eat blueberries or other anti-inflammatory foods because the glycaemic index is really high so it causes inflammation

Lots of locals (including my family) love it, but I've stopped eating it because of the sugar/inflammation.. and the lingering smell. It's so bad that they've banned carrying it on public transport here. Do update, I am curious to see what you think of it.
    "How badly did you have to break it to make it care about people so much?"
    "That didn't break it. It's what made it work."

5w6 1w9 2w1, sp/so
    Likes EJCC liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

@nonsequitur @Seymour I think there's a 75% chance I'll like it, because my dad loves it (he lived in Thailand and the Philippines for a while) and there's a 75% chance I'll like any weird food he likes. (Seymour, it was actually my dad's favorite ice cream flavor when he was abroad!)