User Tag List

First 233132333435 Last

Results 321 to 330 of 379

  1. #321
    this is my winter song EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,427

    Default

    Quick food update: Finished off the noodle salad, the sausage, and the smoothie. Tried the salad, but didn't like it. (The greens are too thick and tough to work as salad greens. Must be some kind of chard?) Next step is the quinoa tabbouleh, and blending the cherries into another smoothie. I think I'll use the chard to make ramen tomorrow, with shallots and dried shiitake mushrooms and eggs. Mmm.

    Quote Originally Posted by Showbread View Post
    Send it to meeee. I <3 summer fruits. This is one of the reasons i decided not to do a CSA though, I hate throwing away food. And I just don't have the fridge space for that much produce.
    It helps to have a "personal share", if that's possible. My produce always fits into a bag that's somewhere between grocery paper bag sized and canvas bag sized. Could fit into a bag half that size if it weren't for the leafy greens.

    This reminds me that I need to brainstorm what we're going to cook when I visit. (Less than two weeks away!!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Showbread View Post
    Dangit, I keep forgetting to download that yoga app! I should also look for Groupons at studios near by.
    Good idea. That yoga app really is great though.

    I may do some research into Portland yoga classes too -- good way to force myself to exercise while I'm there. I'm sure there's something at least semi-affordable downtown.

    Quote Originally Posted by Showbread View Post
    I might try that sesame ginger noodle recipe. I only have red miso though. Maybe just use less?
    Yep! I usually use a heaping teaspoon, instead of a tablespoon.
    Last edited by EJCC; 07-09-2015 at 12:09 PM.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~


    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"



    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

  2. #322
    this is my winter song EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,427

    Default

    The workout struggle continues... It tends to be easier for me to get up in the morning if I've exercised the day before (or two days before), so I'm less likely to oversleep. But I haven't had time to exercise in the evenings this week, so I've fallen into a cycle of bad sleep / no exercise / rinse, repeat. That will end tonight, as I plan on doing some yoga after getting my hair cut/dyed.

    Also going to try to get into enough of an exercise routine that I feel like I can continue it when I go to Portland at the end of next week.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~


    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"



    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

  3. #323
    this is my winter song EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,427

    Default

    Exercise update:

    Planning health-related things for next week's vacation. Seeing if I can be one of those people who exercises when they're out of town... Thinking I might bring my running shoes. @Showbread did you say there was a trail by your house? Also, on a scale of 1 to "wtf are you thinking", how would you feel about us going to a beginner/intermediate yoga class on some morning while we're there?


    Food update:

    Roommate's getting back this week, so thankfully she'll be able to help me out with this week's CSA share. (I think I'm going to have to throw out half a cabbage and 3-ish collard leaves from last week's share, but that's not so bad on a relative scale.)

    Stay tuned as I try to figure out how to turn at least some of that produce into airplane snacks for Sunday morning...
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~


    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"



    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

  4. #324
    climb on Showbread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp
    Posts
    2,332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Exercise update:

    Planning health-related things for next week's vacation. Seeing if I can be one of those people who exercises when they're out of town... Thinking I might bring my running shoes. @Showbread did you say there was a trail by your house? Also, on a scale of 1 to "wtf are you thinking", how would you feel about us going to a beginner/intermediate yoga class on some morning while we're there?
    It's not a trail, but there's a flat, not super busy, road with well-maintained side walks and lots of trees right outside my apartment complex.

    I am definitely in favor of the yoga class/morning walks idea!
    Friends, waffles, work

    "The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

    3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*


  5. #325
    this is my winter song EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,427

    Default

    I'm tempted to turn my food section of this blog into a "help me with my CSA" thing, where I post everything I got, and then how I plan on using some of it/what things I need help with.

    For example, when I got back from vacation, my roommate had used everything up in the CSA except for some leeks and potatoes and onions and tomatoes. So I took the leeks and a potato and made half of this: Leek Potato Soup Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network
    (substituted 1/4 cup sour cream for 1/2 cup creme fraiche or buttermilk, because I had sour cream around)
    And it was really good for what it was, but I didn't love what it was. Not making it again. On the bright side, now I know I don't love vichyssoise.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~


    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"



    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

  6. #326
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Does your treadmill have a fan on it? I flippin' love the treadmill fan. It makes life worth living for the duration of my exercise.
    i was sort of hoping this was some sort of pick up line. but it's not it's ok

    i have a lame but funny i heard recently: "are you a fish running into a wall? because damn!"
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so
    Likes EJCC liked this post

  7. #327
    / nonsequitur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so
    Posts
    1,818

    Default

    I didn't have time to read the whole thread but damn, good job guys.

    Just some quick thoughts from the last few pages:

    Some people are morning workout people and some are night workout people. Personally, I tend to workout at night because my blood pressure is so low in the morning that I can barely get out of bed (it's genetic, compounded by slight anaemia). One rule though, is that you will definitely need to eat before your workout, unless it's about 2-3 hrs after a major meal. There are some people who argue against that (mainly those who do intermittent fasting) to maintain a state of ketosis while they work out, which they argue burns more fat, but that tends to work better for guys than women. And it doesn't work well for some guys either - that's highly dependent on individual hormone levels.

    I usually eat a small meal (protein bar + a piece of fruit, some milk + fruit, greek yogurt + fruit, protein smoothie) about 1 hr before working out. It's important to get in some protein and a bit of natural sugar, that maximises your performance and you don't feel like you're gonna drop halfway through. Working out while fasted also means that you're in a catabolic state through the work out and will tend to cannibalise muscle, which means that recovery is gonna be affected as well - that will add a drag on your next work out.

    Also: LOVE peanut butter + banana + oat smoothies. I add protein to that as either breakfast or a post-workout recovery drink. The fiber in that tends to move things along in my gut so I can't drink it before a workout or I'd be in agony. I also don't drink it too often either because peanut butter + bananas can be danger foods, easy to overconsume if you are trying to make a calorie deficit.
    "How badly did you have to break it to make it care about people so much?"
    "That didn't break it. It's what made it work."

    5w6 1w9 2w1, sp/so
    Likes EJCC liked this post

  8. #328
    this is my winter song EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,427

    Default

    A couple of updates:

    1) My gym won't let me cancel my membership until like November. On the bright side, that means free treadmill use if I don't force myself to get used to outdoor running in the winter. And free exercise bike use if I ever decide to do that again. On the downside, I'm out kind of a lot of money between now and then.

    2) My dad suggested to me, a bit ago, that I should sign up for a race, so I have something to train for. Motivation to keep running, and to practice running when it's hotter outside. So after doing a little research, and reading this article, I've decided to sign up for a 5K at some point this fall. Maybe moving to a 10k early-ish next year. I think my exercise schedule will be:
    Workweek:
    - two runs (fartlek + something else?)
    - one yoga class (using my app or getting up super early on a Wednesday)
    Weekend:
    - one long run
    - maybe also one yoga class (4pm Sunday or using my app)


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


    Quote Originally Posted by nonsequitur View Post
    I didn't have time to read the whole thread but damn, good job guys.
    Thanks !!

    Quote Originally Posted by nonsequitur View Post
    Just some quick thoughts from the last few pages:

    Some people are morning workout people and some are night workout people. Personally, I tend to workout at night because my blood pressure is so low in the morning that I can barely get out of bed (it's genetic, compounded by slight anaemia). One rule though, is that you will definitely need to eat before your workout, unless it's about 2-3 hrs after a major meal. There are some people who argue against that (mainly those who do intermittent fasting) to maintain a state of ketosis while they work out, which they argue burns more fat, but that tends to work better for guys than women. And it doesn't work well for some guys either - that's highly dependent on individual hormone levels.

    I usually eat a small meal (protein bar + a piece of fruit, some milk + fruit, greek yogurt + fruit, protein smoothie) about 1 hr before working out. It's important to get in some protein and a bit of natural sugar, that maximises your performance and you don't feel like you're gonna drop halfway through. Working out while fasted also means that you're in a catabolic state through the work out and will tend to cannibalise muscle, which means that recovery is gonna be affected as well - that will add a drag on your next work out.
    Interesting stuff...

    I should probably start being an evening workout person, then. I can understand rolling out of bed and going for a run, but I can't understand rolling out of bed, eating, waiting an hour, and THEN going for a run. (Exception being the one morning yoga class that I have gone to; I've started my morning with coffee and a banana, then took the train for an hour, then took the class, then had trail mix or something after, before using the shower at my work. But I have to get up SO early for that, that I don't like to do it very often.)

    Quote Originally Posted by nonsequitur View Post
    Also: LOVE peanut butter + banana + oat smoothies. I add protein to that as either breakfast or a post-workout recovery drink. The fiber in that tends to move things along in my gut so I can't drink it before a workout or I'd be in agony. I also don't drink it too often either because peanut butter + bananas can be danger foods, easy to overconsume if you are trying to make a calorie deficit.
    I love them too!! That new recipe I posted (with ground flaxseed) is my favorite go-to smoothie recipe, in part because it's light enough on each ingredient (except banana) that it's a banana-centric smoothie, without being too sweet. Other similar recipes have seemed too heavy on the peanut butter/oats combo.

    I'm not aiming to lower the number of calories I'm eating in each meal. I think my problem may be eating too much after dinner. Thinking I should resolve to not eat anything after 9pm, and drink water instead.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~


    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"



    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

  9. #329
    / nonsequitur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so
    Posts
    1,818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    2) My dad suggested to me, a bit ago, that I should sign up for a race, so I have something to train for. Motivation to keep running, and to practice running when it's hotter outside. So after doing a little research, and reading this article, I've decided to sign up for a 5K at some point this fall. Maybe moving to a 10k early-ish next year. I think my exercise schedule will be:
    Workweek:
    - two runs (fartlek + something else?)
    - one yoga class (using my app or getting up super early on a Wednesday)
    Weekend:
    - one long run
    - maybe also one yoga class (4pm Sunday or using my app)
    Sounds awesome, good luck! Is there a goal time that you want to hit? Or a particular placing?

    You might want to alternate fartleks with more structured high intensity intervals to increase your aerobic capacity. HIIT takes less time as well, which would be great for a work day workout. I'm assuming that you'll be doing the long run as a tempo run? Yoga would be great for recovery!

    Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    I should probably start being an evening workout person, then. I can understand rolling out of bed and going for a run, but I can't understand rolling out of bed, eating, waiting an hour, and THEN going for a run. (Exception being the one morning yoga class that I have gone to; I've started my morning with coffee and a banana, then took the train for an hour, then took the class, then had trail mix or something after, before using the shower at my work. But I have to get up SO early for that, that I don't like to do it very often.)
    Yep I completely agree. Mornings are for the birds. Or people with a lot more self-discipline than me.

    Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    I love them too!! That new recipe I posted (with ground flaxseed) is my favorite go-to smoothie recipe, in part because it's light enough on each ingredient (except banana) that it's a banana-centric smoothie, without being too sweet. Other similar recipes have seemed too heavy on the peanut butter/oats combo.
    I've played around a bit with the recipes too, and I agree, flaxseeds are a great addition! Generally banana+peanut butter is a heavenly combo, I do it in the overnight-oats form with almond milk for weekends instead of smoothies because I love the crunch of the chunky peanut butter too. *salivates*

    Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    I'm not aiming to lower the number of calories I'm eating in each meal. I think my problem may be eating too much after dinner. Thinking I should resolve to not eat anything after 9pm, and drink water instead.
    Do you eat after 9pm because you get hungry? Or is it a craving/boredom thing?
    "How badly did you have to break it to make it care about people so much?"
    "That didn't break it. It's what made it work."

    5w6 1w9 2w1, sp/so

  10. #330
    this is my winter song EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,427

    Default

    GUYS

    THIS CHIPOTLE CORN CHOWDER IS AMAZING

    MAKE SOME IMMEDIATELY
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~


    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"



    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Similar Threads

  1. [JCF] M and Ms cogntive function exercises
    By Cat Brainz in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-24-2016, 06:05 PM
  2. Theory on EJCC and Showbread
    By INTP in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-23-2015, 09:42 AM
  3. [E8] Type 8's and unhealthy conditioning tests/exercises
    By The Great One in forum Enneatypes
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 03-14-2013, 04:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO