User Tag List

First 16242526272836 Last

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Forgot to update on this:
    Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Due in part to @Showbread's experience with the falafel burgers, I am finding a new use for the can of chickpeas I bought: Kale Salad with Tandoori Roasted Chickpeas
    Super excited about it! Will eat it for most dinners this week.
    The dressing for this salad was freaking awesome -- didn't realize how easy (and amazing!) it is to roast garlic and add it to sauces -- but the tandoori seasoning was meh. If/when I make it again, I'll use a MUCH more potent seasoning mix.

Two other miscellaneous updates:

1) I've decided, in part due to @kyuuei, to start alternating my lunches/dinners a bit more. Which I guess means making a big batch of something freezer-safe once every couple of weeks, and noshing on it every once and a while. Also means making smaller batches of things, when they aren't freezer-safe. And means that my meals and groceries will be harder to plan. But if eating the same 3-4 meals all week is really THAT bad for you, then I guess it's worth it to put in the extra effort.

2) I cannot describe how difficult it's been to find an upper-body workout routine that's worked for me. Every single workout suggestion I've been finding is either a million times too difficult, or I don't feel any impact at all. I gave up on the push-up and plank sections of the exercise challenge I was working on, when I improved too slowly for the pace of the plank section (stalled out at 1 minute 15 seconds), and realized I was doing modified push-ups wrong and got 100000x worse when I corrected my technique. The whole thing is demoralizing, especially since I've always been insecure about my lack of upper body strength. (I'm naturally weak from the chest up -- even when I was a little kid, I couldn't use the monkey bars at the playground.)
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

1) I've decided, in part due to @kyuuei, to start alternating my lunches/dinners a bit more. Which I guess means making a big batch of something freezer-safe once every couple of weeks, and noshing on it every once and a while. Also means making smaller batches of things, when they aren't freezer-safe. And means that my meals and groceries will be harder to plan. But if eating the same 3-4 meals all week is really THAT bad for you, then I guess it's worth it to put in the extra effort.

Wait, what? Was this an article you read? Can you send it to me?
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Showbread View Post
    Food has been okay. I need to 100% commit to calorie counting, rather than quitting for the day if I eat something "bad" or run out of calories. I ate a burrito at like 11 pm last night as a right of passage. There's this semi-crappy 24/7 Mexican food place walking distance from campus that students go to at all hours. I've never been (intentionally) but some of my friends found out an insisted that I had to go before graduation. So, I ate a rather large burrito late last night. It was really fun though, and surprisingly not gross!
    Meh, my attitude towards that sort of thing is to just go for it. It's a sign of a depressing diet, IMO, if you can't go out and splurge every once and a while.

I did a little photo shoot about two weeks ago and I got the pictures back today. Not because I'm unhappy with the photography, but because I just really don't like the way I look. My face gets a lot chubbier when I gain weight, even if it's only 5-7 pounds. I almost didn't take pictures because I knew I would feel this way.
    Ugh I'm sorry you ended up feeling that way about it. That sucks.

Oh, well. What's done is done I suppose. I've seen people put pictures of themselves they don't like on their fridge before to deter them against snacking. I've considered doing that, but I'm not sure how healthy it is...
    Sounds really unhealthy TBH. Don't motivate yourself with shame! Stay body-positive!

I have no idea what to make for food tonight. I have lots of lettuce, thinking some kind of salad. But I don't have a protein.
    Do it! Make some of that garlicky dressing, if you have hummus or tahini around!
    Wait, what? Was this an article you read? Can you send it to me?
    No, it was just kyuuei talking about it on her blog. Haven't looked into it besides that.

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

No, it was just kyuuei talking about it on her blog. Haven't looked into it besides that.
    Ooh, I do! I have some roasted red pepper hummus from Trader Joe's. Hmmm, protein... I have some chicken breasts, but they are all frozen. Maybe I'll go buy some fresh ones after work. I will definitely be too hungry/impatient to defrost after work.
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

I think as long as you're switching it up on a weekly basis it's probably fine. This seems to be more directed at people who eat the same food for breakfast/lunch every single day. I don't get the impression it's bad to eat the same dinner 3x in one week, as long as you switch it up the next.
    Friends, waffles, work

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I agree with @Showbread here. I'm not really understanding why it's bad to eat the same meal several times in a given week. At least for me, things naturally ebb and flow over time as I tire of dishes, so I'm getting variety from one week or month to the next, but in the span of a week I might have the same lunch/dinner several times. If it's working for you I don't think you need to chase variety for its own sake, in the short-term.

Something that has become a sort of mantra for me lately is "don't let the perfect become the enemy of the good." And its soul sister, "keep it simple, stupid."
    Likes five sounds liked this post

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I agree with @Showbread here. I'm not really understanding why it's bad to eat the same meal several times in a given week. At least for me, things naturally ebb and flow over time as I tire of dishes, so I'm getting variety from one week or month to the next, but in the span of a week I might have the same lunch/dinner several times. If it's working for you I don't think you need to chase variety for its own sake, in the short-term.
    Same. I generally just can't eat food more than 3-4 times in one week. I get sick of it and it starts to not sound good anymore, no matter how much I usually enjoy it.
    Friends, waffles, work

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

1) I've decided, in part due to kyuuei, to start alternating my lunches/dinners a bit more. Which I guess means making a big batch of something freezer-safe once every couple of weeks, and noshing on it every once and a while. Also means making smaller batches of things, when they aren't freezer-safe. And means that my meals and groceries will be harder to plan. But if eating the same 3-4 meals all week is really THAT bad for you, then I guess it's worth it to put in the extra effort.
    Sorry? and/or you're welcome?

Frozen veggies are totally my friend here and frozen stuff. I have frozen breakfast sandwiches I alternate with cereal and oatmeal (when I have that rare gem of time in the mornings to cook I'll make a big breakfast of poached eggs, toast, bacon, and pancakes.. omg <3) .. Lunches typically are the dinner the night before + a new veggie, fruit, or carb, so I don't really ever have to think about those.. Dinner is typically what I rotate out the most. So if you look at it from that aspect it might not be so bad?
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Sorry? and/or you're welcome?

Frozen veggies are totally my friend here and frozen stuff. I have frozen breakfast sandwiches I alternate with cereal and oatmeal (when I have that rare gem of time in the mornings to cook I'll make a big breakfast of poached eggs, toast, bacon, and pancakes.. omg <3) .. Lunches typically are the dinner the night before + a new veggie, fruit, or carb, so I don't really ever have to think about those.. Dinner is typically what I rotate out the most. So if you look at it from that aspect it might not be so bad?
    I mostly just like not having to cook more than twice a week. Usually I cycle out two sets of lunches and dinners during the week (cooked in bulk on one or two different days), plus eating out (out of necessity) on Tuesday evenings and maybe 1-2 other times during the week, spontaneously.

After what Ivy and Showbread have been saying, and after reading the articles I read, I figure I'm pretty much fine and can keep doing what I'm doing -- as long as I make sure that each of my meals is nutritious in a way that balances out the rest of the day's/week's meals.