User Tag List

First 14222324252634 Last

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Codex View Post
    That is really good to hear. I have been getting into meal planning my self, and just think it is really wonderful.
    What sources are you using to plan and prep? recipes? etc
    Meal planning is the best. Glad you've been having good luck with it too.

I tend to plan around what's already in my fridge and freezer. I make heavy use of my freezer -- helps with saving money, which is probably as important to me right now as eating healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Showbread View Post
    We're both subscribed to BuzzFeed Food. We're also both Pinterest addicts.
    Yep. "Addict" is the right word. I feel like I'm on there constantly.

It is a GREAT source of healthy recipes though.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!
    Likes Showbread liked this post

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

Very frustrated with myself right now. I'm about 5 pounds heavier than I want to be. I started the school year at 138-140. I lost about 10 pounds junior year, half was intentional and half was from extreme anxiety and not being able to eat. The goal was to keep it off regardless, which apparently isn't working.

I'm at 145 right now, but I would really like to be 135-140. I'm still doing great with exercise, but it's the food that's killing me. Part of the problem is that I've had a lot of things going on in the last month or so that have been food related. Lots of celebrating, traveling, people visiting, etc. But, I think the real root of the problem is stress/compulsive eating. I'm convinced some of this is ADHD related. When I get bored or am lacking stimulation I'll eat a handful of something crunchy. Usually it's something pretty healthy like granola, cereal, etc. But, it's still calories my body doesn't actually need. This has been a habit for literally as long as I can remember, all the way back to childhood.

So, I guess the plan is to try to do that less? Be mindful of when it's happening? Sometimes it's almost so compulsive that I don't actually realize I've decided to eat something until it's in my mouth. Which reminds me SO much of when I was a kid and I would hit someone, or blurt something out and I didn't remember deciding to do it.

On the bright side, running is still going fairly well. Need to get back on the yoga bandwagon though. I've been forgetting to bring a change of clothes in the morning so I haven't been going.
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

@Showbread I'm not usually one to suggest calorie-counting, but it might be helpful in this case -- figuring out what you'd be eating on any given day junior year, and calculating how many calories per day that would have been. And then contrasting that with your calories per day now. With that in mind -- and considering that snacks (especially granola!) are much more caloric than you'd expect -- I'm sure snacking has a lot to do with it. (Though in fairness, you can gain five pounds from just about anything, and lose it super quickly. Could be your trips, could be water weight?)

There are a lot of resources out there for compulsive eating. The Internet Will Provide, as they say. (Or maybe we just say that at my house, lol.) I haven't really been through that, to that extent, but I HAVE struggled with compulsive thinking for a while, and I can suggest from that experience that the top priority should be finding a fun and highly stimulating alternative to eating, whenever you crave a snack. Cute dog videos, maybe?

Also -- and you're probably doing this already -- but cut yourself some slack! Until recently, I had a hard time getting myself to do things I wasn't doing, without being really harsh and critical of myself. Avoiding negative self-judgment actually makes you more likely to achieve your goals!

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Finished Day 10 of that exercise challenge and I am noticing improvements!! Gave up on the squat challenge in favor of running 3x per week. (I forget if I blogged about this already.) Ran 3 miles yesterday and am barely feeling it in my muscles today. Thinking I'll try for 3.5 on Wednesday.

My eating has not been super healthy, relatively speaking. But I've definitely been enjoying my food.

- Snack today and breakfast for the next few days: Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins - Pinch of Yum
    - Lunches: German pumpernickel gifted to me by @Red Herring, with cream cheese and smoked salmon
    - Dinners: Eating out -- Easter dinner yesterday, bibimbap the day before (to celebrate the new job!) -- or stuffed chicken breasts w/sides

I'm about 5lbs heavier than usual*, but some of that could be due to it almost being that time of the month and some of it could just be how I've eaten this week. I guess it's possible that I'm gaining muscle and not losing fat?

*The usual is 140, and I'm 5' 6.5"

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    I'm about 5lbs heavier than usual*, but some of that could be due to it almost being that time of the month and some of it could just be how I've eaten this week. I guess it's possible that I'm gaining muscle and not losing fat?

*The usual is 140, and I'm 5' 6.5"
    OMG, even our cycles are synced.

Running had been going extremely well last week. In fact, Wednesday was probably my best 3 mile time yet. But, then I gave blood on Thursday and everything was ruined. I've been struggling since then. Hopefully tomorrow goes better!

I've been eating the crockpot sesame honey chicken I've posted before. So yummy. I just put the rest in the freezer and took my leftover butternut squash mac and cheese out. Nom. I have some pre-made turkey patties from TJ's that I would like to use before I move, so I'll probably make one of those and some leftover asparagus to go with the mac and cheese for dinner tomorrow.

Wednesday night I will be making Falafel burgers Wednesday night. I'll probably serve them with a light Mediterranean style salad with a sour dressing and lots of tomatoes and cucumbers. Maybe some toasted pita.
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

@Showbread I'm not usually one to suggest calorie-counting, but it might be helpful in this case -- figuring out what you'd be eating on any given day junior year, and calculating how many calories per day that would have been. And then contrasting that with your calories per day now. With that in mind -- and considering that snacks (especially granola!) are much more caloric than you'd expect -- I'm sure snacking has a lot to do with it. (Though in fairness, you can gain five pounds from just about anything, and lose it super quickly. Could be your trips, could be water weight?)
    The time during which I lost the weight my diet wasn't great. I was eating a lot of white rice, cookies veggies, cereal, toast, etc. I had really bad IBS because of anxiety, so I was mostly eating easy to digest food. Over the summer I ate a lot of froyo. But, I wasn't snaking because I working so much.

I'm trying calorie counting today and remembering why I hate it. I always feel like I can't eat when I'm hungry because I don't want to use my calories. It feels like writing down the food is sort of a punishment for eating it. As a result, I'll eat super healthy the first two days I'm counting so as not to exceed limit. Then I'll get sick of being hungry and start eating more again and quit counting.
    Friends, waffles, work

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Showbread View Post
    The time during which I lost the weight my diet wasn't great. I was eating a lot of white rice, cookies veggies, cereal, toast, etc. I had really bad IBS because of anxiety, so I was mostly eating easy to digest food. Over the summer I ate a lot of froyo. But, I wasn't snaking because I working so much.

I'm trying calorie counting today and remembering why I hate it. I always feel like I can't eat when I'm hungry because I don't want to use my calories. It feels like writing down the food is sort of a punishment for eating it. As a result, I'll eat super healthy the first two days I'm counting so as not to exceed limit. Then I'll get sick of being hungry and start eating more again and quit counting.
    Two thoughts:

1) What calorie limit are you using? Also, what do you typically snack on? Considering what you've written here about how you eat, I'm surprised that you'd be so close to hitting the upper calorie limit all the time.

2) If calorie counting is that much of an anxiety trigger, then maybe food journaling?
    Paging @Ivy, who knows a lot of good tips and tricks regarding these things.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I got a bat signal!
    @Showbread- sister, I have been there. It sounds like maybe you're setting your calories too low. If you want to gnaw your own arm off you're going to have trouble making lasting changes. But a pretty small calorie deficit won't make you feel that way. Most people just aim way too low. 1200 calories wouldn't be enough for a child but plenty of adult women try to adhere to it, then their bodies take over and make them eat and they feel like failures.

Here's a good detailed calorie calculator that you can put your data into and get an idea of what a good target is. Health-calc - Energy expenditure adv.

BMR- basal metabolic rate, the number you don't want to ever go under- this is what you would burn if you were in a coma.
    TDEE- total daily energy expenditure, the number you burn including all your activity.

(Of course, a calculator is going to give you a rough idea of your BMR/TDEE, but it's not perfect- it's a good starting place but you'll need to experiment to find your own sweet spot.)

I'd suggest eating at TDEE for a while and seeing what happens to your weight, and getting used to tracking without depriving. Then once you've found your stable level and you're in that groove, set a small deficit that is about 300-500 calories below the TDEE. Personally, I stick to about 300 under- if I go much lower than that I start getting preoccupied with food and "saving" my calories like you describe. I might experience some minor hunger here and there but for the most part I eat when I am hungry, even if I don't have the "allowance" for it in the day- it's not about any one day, it's about averages over time. My weight loss has been slow (about 40lbs in a year and a half), but pretty painless.

Good luck!!
    Likes Showbread, EJCC liked this post

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I got a bat signal!
    @Showbread- sister, I have been there. It sounds like maybe you're setting your calories too low. If you want to gnaw your own arm off you're going to have trouble making lasting changes. But a pretty small calorie deficit won't make you feel that way. Most people just aim way too low. 1200 calories wouldn't be enough for a child but plenty of adult women try to adhere to it, then their bodies take over and make them eat and they feel like failures.

Here's a good detailed calorie calculator that you can put your data into and get an idea of what a good target is. Health-calc - Energy expenditure adv.

BMR- basal metabolic rate, the number you don't want to ever go under- this is what you would burn if you were in a coma.
    TDEE- total daily energy expenditure, the number you burn including all your activity.

(Of course, a calculator is going to give you a rough idea of your BMR/TDEE, but it's not perfect- it's a good starting place but you'll need to experiment to find your own sweet spot.)

I'd suggest eating at TDEE for a while and seeing what happens to your weight, and getting used to tracking without depriving. Then once you've found your stable level and you're in that groove, set a small deficit that is about 300-500 calories below the TDEE. Personally, I stick to about 300 under- if I go much lower than that I start getting preoccupied with food and "saving" my calories like you describe. I might experience some minor hunger here and there but for the most part I eat when I am hungry, even if I don't have the "allowance" for it in the day- it's not about any one day, it's about averages over time. My weight loss has been slow (about 40lbs in a year and a half), but pretty painless.

Good luck!!
    I had been using My Fitness Pal, which was telling me to aim around 1300, which is NOT enough food, especially on days that I exercise. The thing, I'm only 5'3, and I don't have a large amount of weight to lose. I'd like to lost 5ish, but I don't think I would even want to go more than 10. I'm built pretty sturdily. I will definitely look at that TDEE calculator! That sounds awesome. We had to do a eating project for my nutrition class and if I remember right it said my daily calorie usage was somewhere around 1800-1900, but I'm definitely more active now.

1) What calorie limit are you using? Also, what do you typically snack on? Considering what you've written here about how you eat, I'm surprised that you'd be so close to hitting the upper calorie limit all the time.
    A lot of the snacks I like are really healthy, but not low calorie. Granola, nuts, cheese, etc. I've been better about snacking on fruit lately, I should probably try to add more raw veggies. The problem with those is that I can never eat all that I buy before they go bad. And I don't generally feel satisfied afterwards. But, the satisfaction is probably just a matter of adjusting my eating habits.
    Friends, waffles, work

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

Food report time!

Last night I made Baked Falafel Burgers. Not terribly successful. The flavors were good, but the texture was not great. They don't really have any fat in them, and they are supposed to be baked not fried. They just kind of got dried out and crumbly, wouldn't make again.

I didn't want to eat the sad leftovers so I made fajitas tonight instead. I used this marinade and it was really easy and yummy. The only thing I changed was leaving out the liquid smoke. I added white onion, red and green bell peppers to stir fry. I also made Mexican rice to go with it. I added half a can of drained Rotel for some heat, I also stirred in some black beans after cooking. Both were really, really, really yummy, and easy. Definitely satisfied my Mexican food craving, and it was healthy! Would have been a little healthier with brown rice, but I didn't want to wait for it to cook.
    Friends, waffles, work

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

Likes EJCC liked this post