• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

EJCC and Showbread's Cooking/Exercise Extravaganza!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I mostly just like not having to cook more than twice a week. Usually I cycle out two sets of lunches and dinners during the week (cooked in bulk on one or two different days), plus eating out (out of necessity) on Tuesday evenings and maybe 1-2 other times during the week, spontaneously.

After what Ivy and Showbread have been saying, and after reading the articles I read, I figure I'm pretty much fine and can keep doing what I'm doing -- as long as I make sure that each of my meals is nutritious in a way that balances out the rest of the day's/week's meals.

Oh yeah you should be fine. The snap article was eating the exact same things a week straight... That's just too much and not enough at once. A couple days in a row never hurt anyone though.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
In an attempt to get rid of some of the food lurking in my cabinets I will be making Quinoa Enchilada Casserole. I have some enchilada sauce and black beans in my cabinet, this seems like a good way to use it up! I might add a bit of shredded chicken, because I also have some chicken breasts in the freezer. I'll probably also use less cheese than is called for, both calories and the fact that I haven't been doing well with dairy lately (probably from stress). I'm not cutting it out completely, but being more selective. Ice cream is totally worth a little bloating. Cheese, not so much.

Last edited:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
SO psyched about my food plans. (Just decided on them now, scouring my Pinterest board for things to buy at the grocery during my lunch break today.)

1) Coconut Curried Lentils - Foodess.com (using brown jasmine rice)

2) Moroccan Shepherd's Pie With Sweet Potato (most likely with either turkey or lean beef)

Especially excited about the shepherd's pie! I've been admiring that recipe for at least a month, waiting for the right moment.

I'm assuming that both of these will be freezer-safe. The plan -- as I am learning from my mistakes! -- is to immediately freeze half of both recipes as soon as I'm done cooking them. This will allow for eating out tomorrow (friend's engagement party), potentially Sunday (if church in the evening goes well and I meet interesting people), and Tuesday (during that awkward period in between work and choir that's just long enough for a relaxed dinner out, and not long enough to go home and back out again).

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
In an attempt to get rid of some of the food lurking in my cabinets I will be making Quinoa Avocado Casserole. I have some enchilada sauce and black beans in my cabinet, this seems like a good way to use it up! I might add a bit of shredded chicken, because I also have some chicken breasts in the freezer. I'll probably also use less cheese than is called for, both calories and the fact that I haven't been doing well with dairy lately (probably from stress). I'm not cutting it out completely, but being more selective. Ice cream is totally worth a little bloating. Cheese, not so much.
Let me know if this ends up being good! I'm considering either buying some quinoa or some kind of lighter mixed rice/grain thing (like the one from Trader Joe's that [MENTION=9486]gromit[/MENTION] recommended to me a bit ago), and working that more into my diet. I'm starting to notice carb-induced drowsiness more often, and my dad, who has type 2 diabetes and is experimenting with healthier eating just like we are, strongly endorses the lighter and nuttier taste that quinoa can bring to otherwise heavy food.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Really lagging in the exercise department this week. I have just been perpetually exhausted, no matter how much I sleep. I think my semester long sleep debt is finally catching up to me. Stress is also contributing I'm sure, I've had a tension headache for like 3 days now.

I think I also just need more sleep than most people for some reason. Most people run pretty well on 7-9, I really need like 9-11 to feel truly rested. Over the summer if I go to bed when I'm tired and then just let myself wake up naturally I sleep from 10:30-11 to 9ish.

Planning to make the quinoa enchilada bake tomorrow, will post results.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think I also just need more sleep than most people for some reason. Most people run pretty well on 7-9, I really need like 9-11 to feel truly rested. Over the summer if I go to bed when I'm tired and then just let myself wake up naturally I sleep from 10:30-11 to 9ish.

I am the same way. :)

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In an attempt to get rid of some of the food lurking in my cabinets I will be making Quinoa Enchilada Casserole. I have some enchilada sauce and black beans in my cabinet, this seems like a good way to use it up! I might add a bit of shredded chicken, because I also have some chicken breasts in the freezer. I'll probably also use less cheese than is called for, both calories and the fact that I haven't been doing well with dairy lately (probably from stress). I'm not cutting it out completely, but being more selective. Ice cream is totally worth a little bloating. Cheese, not so much.

That post reminded me of the following classic line from Dave Barry:

Remember when you were in junior high school and sometimes the cafeteria workers would open up a large Army-surplus food can left over from the Spanish-American War and serve you a scary-looking dish with a name like

``Tuna Bean Prune Cabbage Omelet Casserole Surprise``?

Source: Chicago Tribune

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Food Update:

Note to self: Whenever you go to a Farmers Market, go with a budget and a shopping list. I impulse bought so freaking much stuff -- that plus going to Whole Foods to supplement what wasn't available at the farmers market meant that I spent significantly more on groceries than I'd intended to.

(Whatever. It was worth it.)

Anyway, my food plan for next week involves
1) a variety of noodle soups, since I also impulse bought a bunch of stuff on Tuesday from a Japanese grocery near my office(!!);
2) leftovers in the freezer
3) overnight oats (since I'm almost out of pancakes)
4) This salad: Balsamic Chicken Salad with Lemon Quinoa (I decided I'd try out the quinoa thing in a context where I wouldn't want noodles or rice -- we'll see if I like it as much as my dad does)

Exercise Update:

Went for a really good 2.5 mile run with my INTP roommate yesterday. We talked the entire time, and kept a steady pace, except for stopping at stop lights. It was fun enough that we have a vague pseudo-plan to do it more often. (When she's in town, anyway. She has several trips planned for this month.)

Planning on canceling my gym membership in the next few days. I haven't gone to the gym in months, but have been paying the monthly fees anyway. Would make more sense to try something new. For example:

1) there's a discount store conveniently near me that sells super cheap weights up to 5 lbs (along with Claire's-type tchotchkes)
2) there's a yoga studio maybe 20 minutes walk from my work, that my aforementioned INTP roommate really likes, where each drop-in class costs about $12, and a beginner's 1-week starter membership costs $11 -- so if that works, I could go once a week and supplement with
3) workout/yoga videos on youtube, and bodyweight/light-weight exercises in various corners of the internet (e.g. Greatist)

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I have the original bodyweight workout that came in a bundle of fitness PDFs from some of the folks that run the Eating the Food Facebook group. (I think she used to be a moderator there, if not, she's friends with many of them and they "approve" of her stuff e.g. it's not disordered and it's scientifically sound.) I've never done the bodyweight stuff, though. I use her Beautiful Badass weight program in the gym sometimes.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

DreamBeliever

Thanks for the link! I'll check 'em out.

Ooh that looks really good. Nice recipe to set aside for fall -- would be great as a side dish to go with a meat something-or-another. Pork chops maybe?

Right? Definitely! That sounds like a good combo.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's been a great weekend for exercise. Saturday I went for a 3.5-ish mile run, and today I got my bike out for the first time since I got it tuned up and bought a new seat for it in November! Rode about 4 miles round trip. Would have gone a lot longer except for how incredibly freaking hilly the trails in my neighborhood are. They're not so bad to run on, but I got really tired really quickly when I tried to bike on them.

Also, my butt is SO SORE lol. Hopefully that won't be as much of a problem as I ride my bike more and more this spring/summer and I get used to the seat.

Planning on going for another run tomorrow. Still not sure when yoga will be happening. Would go on Tuesday but I don't know whether beginner yoga is the sort of thing that makes you sweaty enough to need a shower, and I'd be heading straight from work to yoga to choir. :/

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
It's been a great weekend for exercise. Saturday I went for a 3.5-ish mile run, and today I got my bike out for the first time since I got it tuned up and bought a new seat for it in November!

My best friend is a Selle Anatomica fan, although he's usually more low-key about it due to being an ISTJ. :D I don't really know how many bikes he has, and I don't think he does either. :laugh: At any rate, he just bought another Cervelo and is getting rid of the Roubaix.

Rode about 4 miles round trip. Would have gone a lot longer except for how incredibly freaking hilly the trails in my neighborhood are. They're not so bad to run on, but I got really tired really quickly when I tried to bike on them.
I did 17.5 yesterday. The wind really sucked.

Also, my butt is SO SORE lol. Hopefully that won't be as much of a problem as I ride my bike more and more this spring/summer and I get used to the seat.
I know what that's like. Right now my main problem is saddle sores. :dry:

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Planning on going for another run tomorrow. Still not sure when yoga will be happening. Would go on Tuesday but I don't know whether beginner yoga is the sort of thing that makes you sweaty enough to need a shower, and I'd be heading straight from work to yoga to choir. :/

You should be fine. I go places after yoga all the time. :)

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You should be fine. I go places after yoga all the time. :)
Excellent!

With that advice in mind, I have just booked my two yoga classes -- one today after work, one Sunday late afternoon -- and made plans to go to a $5 walk-in class Thursday morning. Didn't get a chance to go running yesterday, but hoping to go tomorrow after happy hour.

As for food updates:
This salad: Balsamic Chicken Salad with Lemon Quinoa (I decided I'd try out the quinoa thing in a context where I wouldn't want noodles or rice -- we'll see if I like it as much as my dad does)
^ I really, really like this salad. The chicken turned out amazing -- used a balsamic glaze instead of balsamic vinegar, but that made the chicken so juicy and wonderful. Would make again, with less expensive toppings.

Also I really like this soup and will make ALL THE TIME from now on: The Cold Cure - Ginger Curry Egg Drop Soup