• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

EJCC and Showbread's Cooking/Exercise Extravaganza!

gromit

likes this
I imagine that they're as necessary as physical therapy would be for someone who's been injured.

Definitely. In PT school we have actually talked a lot about treating patients post partum, for pelvic, abdominal, low back, and other musculoskeletal conditions which aren't resolving following their pregnancy (or sometimes even during pregnancy) Women feel like they just have to put up with pain or urinary leaking or so many other things, but it doesn't have to be that way.

I hope you get into those classes too [MENTION=10251]Red Herring[/MENTION]!

If you are craving sugars, definitely whole fruit is better than processed foods, which I'm sure you know. Sugars and starches are the most easily-accessible types of calories. But I think balancing the carbs out with protein and good fats is important for your overall health. Unfortunately I'm not too qualified to give nutrition advice, but that is my most basic knowledge.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Well, I have royally failed on the food front the last week. However, I regret nothing. I was traveling and celebrating things so it's all totally justified. As dedicated as I am to eating healthier, being healthy, etc., I refuse to be that person who orders a salad with dressing on the side at fancy restaurants. It's just not worth it.

I've been doing well with exercise though! I walked a ton while traveling and I've been running and rock climbing since I got home. Slowly but surely I'm getting back on track with food. I made these Spinach and Artichoke Stuffed Chicken Breasts on Wednesday night and they were delicious! I have a few in the freezer that I'm planning to take home when I leave my parent's house on Monday. They'll still be a bit frosty when I get back to my apartment, that way I don't have to worry about dinner for a few nights this week.

I need something to make for my family tomorrow night though... Suggestions? Have you made anything especially amazing/healthy lately [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION]??

Chickennugget

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, I have royally failed on the food front the last week. However, I regret nothing. I was traveling and celebrating things so it's all totally justified. As dedicated as I am to eating healthier, being healthy, etc., I refuse to be that person who orders a salad with dressing on the side at fancy restaurants. It's just not worth it.

I've been doing well with exercise though! I walked a ton while traveling and I've been running and rock climbing since I got home. Slowly but surely I'm getting back on track with food. I made these Spinach and Artichoke Stuffed Chicken Breasts on Wednesday night and they were delicious! I have a few in the freezer that I'm planning to take home when I leave my parent's house on Monday. They'll still be a bit frosty when I get back to my apartment, that way I don't have to worry about dinner for a few nights this week.

I need something to make for my family tomorrow night though... Suggestions? Have you made anything especially amazing/healthy lately [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION]??

I know right! Yeah, I'm having a hard time with the food as well, thanks to that double bacon onion ring burger! Although I workout for 45 minutes every day except for weekends, and I run three miles on Monday and Wednesday (I run an extra mile on Wednesday so that makes four I guess). I know this is for ESXJ but I honestly don't care. No one can stop me.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=22014]violett[/MENTION] [MENTION=24153]Chickennugget[/MENTION]

Just a reminder that this is my and Showbread's blog. That being said, if you want to post in this blog to interact with me and Showbread and talk to us about healthy food and exercise, you are totally welcome to. Otherwise, I will direct you to these two threads:

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...s-snacks-meals.html?highlight=Healthy+recipes

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...recipes-please.html?highlight=Healthy+recipes

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Exercise news:

I started on this thing today! My cousin's girlfriend recommended it to me a few days ago and said she was noticing a huge difference, 20 days into it.

(Substituting real push-ups with modified push-ups)

Had to take a couple breaks in order to do the 50 squats, but I think I should still be fine tomorrow.

--------------------------------

Way to go! Those people make me sad, so I would be sad if you became one of those people.

YOLO :solidarity:

I made these Spinach and Artichoke Stuffed Chicken Breasts on Wednesday night and they were delicious! I have a few in the freezer that I'm planning to take home when I leave my parent's house on Monday. They'll still be a bit frosty when I get back to my apartment, that way I don't have to worry about dinner for a few nights this week.
Mine are in the oven as I type this! Turns out I accidentally bought chicken breast tenderloins instead of full chicken breasts, so I used eight tenderloins and stacked them instead of stuffing them. Whatever -- should still be good!

I might put them in the freezer right away because I now have leftover artichokes that I need to use, and that's a higher priority. Might Google a pasta recipe that uses artichokes and feta, and make that tonight. Hmmmmmm.

Damn I wish I could say I have! Discounting all the leftover St. Patrick's Day potluck food I've been eating, I've been trying to find creative ways to use up this can of refried beans that my roommate accidentally bought, without buying anything to supplement it. So for two nights in a row I did this:

1) Put some refried beans in a bowl
2) Sprinkle a good amount of frozen spinach on top
3) Microwave until warm/thawed; meanwhile, start frying an egg
4) Add medium sized handful of cheese to the bowl and let it melt on top
5) Top with salsa, the fried egg, and loads of Tabasco

It ended up fine? Nothing special and DEFINITELY nothing I'd recommend for your family. But a perfectly respectable zero-money-required breakfast-for-dinner thing.

Chickennugget

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Uh I did talk about food and exercise....? Oh and I know how to burn cereal and microwave blocks of food. Does that count?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Uh I did talk about food and exercise....?
There's talking TO US about food and exercise, and then there's talking to the entire forum about it, as if this is your blog.

Think of it like the difference between attending a party, and declaring yourself the co-host of a party after it's already started.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Exercise news:

I started on this thing today! My cousin's girlfriend recommended it to me a few days ago and said she was noticing a huge difference, 20 days into it..

The thing I don't like about those things (even though I'm a HUGE fan of 30 day challenges) is that it works the same muscles over and over again. While the abs can certainly handle that brutality, the repetitive motions of the same kinds of squats isn't really as fantastic as changing it up (lunges, curtsy squats, sumos, etc.. doing 10 of each vs 50 of one is a better work out for the legs and butt) and opens the muscles and joints for injury instead of giving them time to recover.

The cool part about them is you can combine all of them. It might take 60 days, but having a squat/plank day alternated with a push up/crunch day would give your body something repetitive, but alternating as well. I definitely am a fan of the tv-show work out challenges, where stereotypes from different popular shows translate into 5-10 reps of some work out move, with stretching or walking in place in between.

Right now I'm working my way back up to the intensity I used to have through P90X and P90X2 with a 15 minute 30 day work out challenge.. and I'm combining it with 30 days of yoga challenge (on youtube, free) because it has a long period of slow, methodical stretching before a short burst of energy. And each day is different on both of those things.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION] Good points. I like the idea of having alternating days -- and of trading out exercises as they get easier. (e.g. moving up to regular push ups from modified, doing something more challenging instead of a million squats). The problem is that I don't know how I'd chart that out. The general idea of those challenges appeals to me because it's a highly specific and number-focused plan that someone already made for me -- and I'm new enough to the fitness game that I don't think I could make a similar plan for myself without help.

p.s. The heck is a curtsy squat? Lol

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
@<a href="http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/members/4939.html" target="_blank">kyuuei</a> Good points. I like the idea of having alternating days -- and of trading out exercises as they get easier. (e.g. moving up to regular push ups from modified, doing something more challenging instead of a million squats). The problem is that I don't know how I'd chart that out. The general idea of those challenges appeals to me because it's a highly specific and number-focused plan that someone already made for me -- and I'm new enough to the fitness game that I don't think I could make a similar plan for myself without help.

p.s. The heck is a curtsy squat? Lol

Yeah, so I just sort of play with it when I do stuff like that. Just like I don't always do everything on work out DVDs 100%, I just play around with something new. I don't have a hard-and-fast rule, it's just what my body feels like. Maybe my legs are super sore, so I do pulse squats for 10 of them (which are intense, but are easier on the joints since you're isolating the contraction.) or something. Or maybe I do wall-chair-thingies until I can't take it anymore and just count it as 10. the thing is, if you're doing 70-100 reps of anything every day you are going to work up your legs pretty well. So if you just youtube a new move everyday, you'll enjoy it more and your whole leg gets the work out. So you could even do 2 days of squats, 2 days of a different kind of squats, etc. until you've exhausted all the ones you can possibly google.

Case in point: The Curtsy Squat. Forgive the first 15 seconds.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Case in point: The Curtsy Squat. Forgive the first 15 seconds.

I used to be able to do a TON of squats. We did these things called squat pyramids where we had to do 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 40, 30, 20, 10. It was brutal.

The curtsy squat looks interesting. I might give it a try next time I'm doing body weight exercises.

On the food front I made this Greek Salad to go with some kebabs last night and I was a huge hit! The changes I made: added an extra clove of garlic, added salt and pepper to dressing. When I make again I will probably all some lemon juice to the dressing as well. I tend to like my vinaigrettes bitter.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, so I just sort of play with it when I do stuff like that. Just like I don't always do everything on work out DVDs 100%, I just play around with something new. I don't have a hard-and-fast rule, it's just what my body feels like. Maybe my legs are super sore, so I do pulse squats for 10 of them (which are intense, but are easier on the joints since you're isolating the contraction.) or something. Or maybe I do wall-chair-thingies until I can't take it anymore and just count it as 10. the thing is, if you're doing 70-100 reps of anything every day you are going to work up your legs pretty well. So if you just youtube a new move everyday, you'll enjoy it more and your whole leg gets the work out. So you could even do 2 days of squats, 2 days of a different kind of squats, etc. until you've exhausted all the ones you can possibly google.
That's a really good idea. I'm going to have to start doing that -- finding workouts and replacing the moves with different things. I've already got some ideas for this one!

Plank alternatives: 47 Crazy-Fun Plank Variations for a Killer Core | Greatist
(especially side planks -- I SUCK at those)

Crunch alternatives: 45 Must-Try Abs Exercises for a Strong Core | Greatist

I used to be able to do a TON of squats. We did these things called squat pyramids where we had to do 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 40, 30, 20, 10. It was brutal.
:shocking: Jesus. Who's "we"? Who made you do that??

On the food front I made this Greek Salad to go with some kebabs last night and I was a huge hit! The changes I made: added an extra clove of garlic, added salt and pepper to dressing. When I make again I will probably all some lemon juice to the dressing as well. I tend to like my vinaigrettes bitter.
Ooh that looks like it would go really well with kebabs. Or even better, stuffed into a pita pocket with falafel. :wub: Mmmm.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
:shocking: Jesus. Who's "we"? Who made you do that??

Ooh that looks like it would go really well with kebabs. Or even better, stuffed into a pita pocket with falafel. :wub: Mmmm.

We had to take 4 years of Physical Education at my high school and I chose Strength and Conditioning over regular PE for 3 years. I hated the sports in regular PE, so I opted for sprints and weight lifting instead. I did all kind of horrible things like that. We sprinted ladders that were 20, 40, 60, 80, 100, 80, 60, 40, 20 yards. I have no idea what I was thinking. It was awful. :laugh:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
We had to take 4 years of Physical Education at my high school and I chose Strength and Conditioning over regular PE for 3 years. I hated the sports in regular PE, so I opted for sprints and weight lifting instead. I did all kind of horrible things like that. We sprinted ladders that were 20, 40, 60, 80, 100, 80, 60, 40, 20 yards. I have no idea what I was thinking. It was awful. :laugh:
That sounds horrendous, and yet somehow less horrendous than sports would have been. Balanced out by the fact that you had to do 4 years(!!)-- thank God I only had to do 2!

To this day, I think I would have liked PE if I hadn't been surrounded by athletes and jerks the entire time. I was very interested in taking weight training, but never took it because I was worried that I would be surrounded by macho jerks who
1) would judge me for my lack of upper body strength, and/or
2) would troll me constantly like the redneck guys in my freshman art class :dry:

Makes sense that I've only started enjoying physical activity when I had the opportunity to engage in it in a totally non-group-oriented way!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
May I recommend a recipe to y'all to try?! I am going to make another one for Easter, and I used the brand recommended for tofu so I have no idea if other tofu works with it, but it is kid friendly and suuuuuper easy to make and it tasted so rich that I only needed one slice a day.... And I love pie. And I want to know if I'm crazy for thinking this is good, or if others agree.

The Ultimate Chocolate Fudge Pie I didn't use any sweeteners, I just used the chocolate.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
May I recommend a recipe to y'all to try?!
YES PLZ!

I am going to make another one for Easter, and I used the brand recommended for tofu so I have no idea if other tofu works with it, but it is kid friendly and suuuuuper easy to make and it tasted so rich that I only needed one slice a day.... And I love pie. And I want to know if I'm crazy for thinking this is good, or if others agree.

The Ultimate Chocolate Fudge Pie I didn't use any sweeteners, I just used the chocolate.
Dude [MENTION=19948]Showbread[/MENTION] we should definitely try this. I am so intrigued by the idea of putting tofu in a pie.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
YES PLZ!

Dude [MENTION=19948]Showbread[/MENTION] we should definitely try this. I am so intrigued by the idea of putting tofu in a pie.

I've actually made this before! It's been probably 4 years though. It was really yummy! I've been thinking about making it again!

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Day two of the challenge -- went for a run instead of doing squats, because it's so nice out today. And it was a GREAT run. 2.5 miles, mostly jogging, but with two 20-second sprints in there, followed by 20-30-second walks. Definitely going to be too sore for leg exercises tomorrow.

I don't know if I love running, but I ADORE how I feel after an intense run. My chest and lungs feel open, my entire body is relaxed, and I feel completely rejuvenated.

Side note: Those artichoke-spinach chicken breasts are really, really good. And really healthy too! Will definitely make again. Though next time I need to figure out a better way to use the leftover artichokes.

Chickennugget

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There's talking TO US about food and exercise, and then there's talking to the entire forum about it, as if this is your blog.

Think of it like the difference between attending a party, and declaring yourself the co-host of a party after it's already started.

Ohhhhh. Yeah. I was a bit confused. Sorry about that :)