User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default Share Your Dentist Office Horror Stories Here!

A few years ago I went to see a government dentist because I had a shard of a molar stabbing my tongue. This dentist was undoubtedly an ESTP. When he proceeded to give me a painkiller shot next to the affected area he went too fast and stabbed me in the injection site with his needle. When he saw my whole body jump he backed off and said 'sorry.' Yeah, me too, for ever going to that guy. :P
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

When I got my wisdom teeth out in 1985 or so, I was awake and shot up with about 16 novacaine needles. Since the teeth were all impacted, they had to cut open my gums and break each of them up to get them out; I both felt and heard this, since I was awake... it was like ice / pretzels being crushed up in my head.

Afterwards I walked out of the office in a daze with blood and drool all over my shirt. I sat in the parking garage in the car while my mom went into her hospital and got me some drugs and I just felt like I had gotten run over by a bus.

I spent the night taking codeine that didn't do anything, rocking because the pain was so bad.

Dentists = Evil.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    When I got my wisdom teeth out in 1985 or so, I was awake and shot up with about 16 novacaine needles. Since the teeth were all impacted, they had to cut open my gums and break each of them up to get them out; I both felt and heard this, since I was awake... it was like ice / pretzels being crushed up in my head.

Afterwards I walked out of the office in a daze with blood and drool all over my shirt. I sat in the parking garage in the car while my mom went into her hospital and got me some drugs and just felt like I had gotten run over by a bus.

I spent the night taking codeine that didn't do anything, rocking because the pain was so bad.

Dentists = Evil.
    Wtf? I had one wisdom tooth pulled and I was knocked out for that. It wasn't even impacted.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    Wtf? I had one wisdom tooth pulled and I was knocked out for that.
    SAVAGES. THEY ARE ALL SAVAGES.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Wtf? I had one wisdom tooth pulled and I was knocked out for that. It wasn't even impacted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    SAVAGES. THEY ARE ALL SAVAGES.

I got all 4 of my wisdom teeth pulled at once, bottom two in the process of impacting, while in Iraq. The dentist was a super cute guy, but they didn't have the stuff to put me out there, so they just numbed me. I could feel the pressure and movements and everything, can't say it didn't hurt but overall it wasn't so painful during it thanks to local anesthesia. I did have my whole upper body come up off the bed when they pulled on one tooth though, it ended up breaking and they had to fish out the other piece. That part sort of hurt. He said I handled it like a champ. I couldn't really reply.

I had to eat to take the percocet tabs, so I fed myself ramen noodles with my fingers while watching myself chew open mouthed in the mirror so I could ensure I wasn't chewing my tongue. Rinsed my mouth out with water real good, took the tabs, and they didn't do too much as far as I could tell--the pain seemed eh-er, so that was cool, and I was sort of sleepy and slow to respond.

But I had to go back on mission the day after the recovery day. So I got pretty emaciated for a short while because I had trouble eating solid foods and needed tons of calories for desert work. Also my jaw was really sore and I had a heavy helmet and all these radio headphone sets strapped to it. It wasn't the funnest week of my life.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Geez @kyuuei you're such a beast, in the best complimentary way.

My best horror story was from when I was fairly young, maybe around 9 or 10. My dentist was some stuck up prick named Norman who was a jerk to the hygienists and who would talk to my mom like he was the prince of some minor kingdom. In retrospect, I probably would have been in a shitty mood if I were a hygienist working with him, too, but at the time all I could think about was how much this evil woman in white was digging into my damned gums with that cutting piece of floss. I could see the blood on the floss and I could taste its metallicness in my mouth, but this bitch just kept on digging away. I squirmed, I grunted, I made ouchey faces. I'd even told her beforehand that my gums were sore because I always came away after appointments with a bloody mess of a mouth. Well, at one point I decided that she'd just taken it too far, after ramming it down between two particularly close teeth. I was pissed. I took a good deep breath, opened wide, and chomped right down on her hand. She screamed; I giggled. Then I lied to everyone all about how it was just a reflex to the pain while attempting to hold back an absolute flood of laughter.

The happy ending is that I got kicked out of the dentist's office, got a much nicer new dentist with much gentler hygienists, and the whole family agreed that Norman needed to get a life and the hygienist got what was coming to her. I think my parents even got me ice cream afterwards.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I had only been taken to the dentist once in my childhood, so when I got dental insurance at 19 I had some major plaque problems and encroaching gum disease , I needed what's called planing and root scaling, which is a deep cleaning/scraping of your teeth down to below your gumline.

It really isn't a horror story, just strange experience. I have a high pain tolerance, I was pretty shy back then especially around women and my dental hygienist was extremely attractive and the procedure itself required some real physical effort on her part. I just remember this very crush-worthy woman leveraging her chest against my forehead, performing rather violent movements for 3 1 hour sessions under somewhat ineffective local anesthesia. It was intimate, painful and embarrassing and I liked it.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Geez @kyuuei you're such a beast, in the best complimentary way.

My best horror story was from when I was fairly young, maybe around 9 or 10. My dentist was some stuck up prick named Norman who was a jerk to the hygienists and who would talk to my mom like he was the prince of some minor kingdom. In retrospect, I probably would have been in a shitty mood if I were a hygienist working with him, too, but at the time all I could think about was how much this evil woman in white was digging into my damned gums with that cutting piece of floss. I could see the blood on the floss and I could taste its metallicness in my mouth, but this bitch just kept on digging away. I squirmed, I grunted, I made ouchey faces. I'd even told her beforehand that my gums were sore because I always came away after appointments with a bloody mess of a mouth. Well, at one point I decided that she'd just taken it too far, after ramming it down between two particularly close teeth. I was pissed. I took a good deep breath, opened wide, and chomped right down on her hand. She screamed; I giggled. Then I lied to everyone all about how it was just a reflex to the pain while attempting to hold back an absolute flood of laughter.

The happy ending is that I got kicked out of the dentist's office, got a much nicer new dentist with much gentler hygienists, and the whole family agreed that Norman needed to get a life and the hygienist got what was coming to her. I think my parents even got me ice cream afterwards.
    Did you learn how to floss later on in life? I had to teach myself how to floss. There was no gum bleeding during my last teeth cleaning because my daily flossing keeps my gums toughened up. But more importantly, the gums are a transmission vector for bacteria, and toughening them up through flossing keeps the bacteria out of your blood stream where it then travels to your heart. It also helps prevent the bone in which the teeth roots are anchored from receding, leading to bone loss and tooth loss. Bacteria getting in through soft gums causes an immune system reaction that leads to bone recession. So brushing and flossing not only helps keep plaque levels down, it also toughens up your gums and keeps them healthy.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Did you learn how to floss later on in life? I had to teach myself how to floss. There was no gum bleeding during my last teeth cleaning because my daily flossing keeps my gums toughened up. But more importantly, the gums are a transmission vector for bacteria, and toughening them up through flossing keeps the bacteria out of your blood stream where it then travels to your heart. It also helps prevent the bone in which the teeth roots are anchored from receding, leading to bone loss and tooth loss. Bacteria getting in through soft gums causes an immune system reaction that leads to bone recession. So brushing and flossing not only helps keep plaque levels down, it also toughens up your gums and keeps them healthy.
    That's really interesting; I didn't know that. I knew how to floss back then but avoided it because it killed my fingers and my teeth until those little plastic flosser helper things came into popularity. The first ones I used were little neon dinosaur ones that I stole from my brother. Now I don't mind flossing at all and just keep the little bag on my bathroom counter. They have probably saved my dental hygiene.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

My two front lower teeth wouldn't come out as a kid, but the permanent teeth were there so my mouth kind of hurt. I needed to get them extracted at the same time when I was 6. One tooth was completely numb and the dentist was super nice, I felt nothing. Then she had to leave suddenly and some crazy lady took over and ripped the second one out of my head and let me go home gushing blood and crying.

I went in that office an innocent young girl and left a scarred, terrified beast