123 Last

Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    γ Ni

Default Fitbits, Gear Fit, heart rate monitor watches, health apps..

Anyone use a wearable device like the Fitbit? Maybe even plain old phone apps used to track health? Do you like them?

I'm especially curious about the Samsung Gear Fit. No idea whether it's worth it. Seems much like the Fitbit but also with the ability to tell time. No idea.
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

I looked at Activity Trackers and pretty much discarded any that DIDN'T measure heart rate all day long. To me, that would be one of the most accurate data fields for analyzing your health throughout the day. Especially during sleep, I'd be interested to know.

The only ones I found were the Basis Carbon Steel Edition and, like you mentioned the Samsung Gear Fit.

At 200.00 bucks each, I opted to not get one. Maybe some day.

I do have the Forerunner 15 which has been awesome.

It's basically Garmin's new, affordable GPS wrist watch mostly for running and whatnot, but it has an optional chest heartrate monitor and footpod (for indoor).

But ALSO an Activity Tracker built in. It basically measures steps you take even without a footpod pedometer or GPS and calibrates based on past runs.

But I'm not wearing the damn chest strap while I sleep, haha. The rechargeable battery might run out over 8 hours anyway.

The activity tracker is pretty cool, because all you need to wear is the watch (which is shockingly small considering it has GPS) but again, I'm more interested in vital stats, not just activity. Great for when I'm up and moving around.

And it has a pretty good online activity viewer, where you can a lot more details (max HR, if you wore the monitor, and pace, speed, etc.)

Not really sure how the FitBit measure how well you sleep (I think there's one that DOES have a HR monitor but it's only active during sleep, can't remember).

I'd be interested as well to hear if anyone else has used these or any others.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.
    Likes Bush Did 9/11, kyuuei liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ

the garmin vivofit has the option of hrm with buying an additional strap which provides data over bluetooth as does the h7 when paired with the polar loop activity tracker. those were the two I was most interested in, although I have read through as many reviews as possible and it looks as though there is a fair amount of complaints about the bluetooth not syncing between the polar devices. there is also complaints about the vivofit and its calorie calculations which according to some customers seem to be too far off.
    the rest of them including fitbit are inaccurate and wouldn't be worth the money imo.

what I did was get a pedometer app for my mobile phone called "footsteps" just over £1 it's supposedly pretty accurate although it only uses the phones accelerometer so it may have issues with accuracy, but considering how much cheaper it is i'm willing to compromise atleast until a very accurate more flawless option comes to market. it will help to, at the very least get you a ballpark figure, and for that price seems like the more favourable option. you can also get sleep monitoring apps for smartphones/iphones.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Reviving this thread rather than begin a new one because i really want to talk about how amazing FitBit is. A special friend recommended it to me and I received the wrist device yesterday... super excited. I bought the Fitbit HR charge after reading lots and lots of reviews about various hr and fitness devices as decided this would best suit my needs. Having gone through a horrible horrible period where i first lost weight then gained a ridiculous amount due to thyroid function jumping up and down i thought it would be really good to have an all round s̶t̶a̶l̶k̶e̶r̶ monitor.

The app for fitbit is also really simple and easy to use and you can input your food data too, This allows (obs not foolproof) the pairing to come up with some very interesting results and data to sift through and will enable you to set goals based on exercise, weight, food consumption, steps taken etc. It also monitors sleep which is brilliant because it's something I have always had huge difficulty monitoring myself... especially sleep quality. A passive version of micro parenting, which you can just take off (more literally than when a teenager) when you want a beak from the expectations.

For example ... it was able to tell me i awoke 13 times last night... I know this is fairly accurate as i do remember being very restless and sitting up several times. It also monitors how many hours you sleep for. You can set gps tracking to follow you on your runs/walks too and it will also log this along with your calories burnt and heart rate during and distance travelled. Theres an easy display on your phone app or on a laptop it's more detailed...

I love it! I really don't mind the invasiveness of it either... I can always take it off.... plus I like the idea of being androidised... it's where things are heading anyway... just imagine in ten more years.... implants that will tell us everything about how to maintain optimal health internally too.... and in 20 years or 30 years? we may be able to change our mental and physical selves using personal devices ...awesome.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"
    Likes Codex, senza tema liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by HelenOfTroy View Post
    Reviving this thread rather than begin a new one because i really want to talk about how amazing FitBit is. A special friend recommended it to me and I received the wrist device yesterday... super excited. I bought the Fitbit HR charge after reading lots and lots of reviews about various hr and fitness devices as decided this would best suit my needs. Having gone through a horrible horrible period where i first lost weight then gained a ridiculous amount due to thyroid function jumping up and down i thought it would be really good to have an all round s̶t̶a̶l̶k̶e̶r̶ monitor.

The app for fitbit is also really simple and easy to use and you can input your food data too, This allows (obs not foolproof) the pairing to come up with some very interesting results and data to sift through and will enable you to set goals based on exercise, weight, food consumption, steps taken etc. It also monitors sleep which is brilliant because it's something I have always had huge difficulty monitoring myself... especially sleep quality. A passive version of micro parenting, which you can just take off (more literally than when a teenager) when you want a beak from the expectations.

For example ... it was able to tell me i awoke 13 times last night... I know this is fairly accurate as i do remember being very restless and sitting up several times. It also monitors how many hours you sleep for. You can set gps tracking to follow you on your runs/walks too and it will also log this along with your calories burnt and heart rate during and distance travelled. Theres an easy display on your phone app or on a laptop it's more detailed...

I love it! I really don't mind the invasiveness of it either... I can always take it off.... plus I like the idea of being androidised... it's where things are heading anyway... just imagine in ten more years.... implants that will tell us everything about how to maintain optimal health internally too.... and in 20 years or 30 years? we may be able to change our mental and physical selves using personal devices ...awesome.
    Great review. I got my husband one for his birthday and he wears it to run but, he started wearing it to bed in the last week or so. He loves that alarm that only wakes him but now he sees how often he is waking too (I knew it was at least couple times a night). He's still getting use to all the other things it does but it was definitely a good gift for him.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Great review. I got my husband one for his birthday and he wears it to run but, he started wearing it to bed in the last week or so. He loves that alarm that only wakes him but now he sees how often he is waking too (I knew it was at least couple times a night). He's still getting use to all the other things it does but it was definitely a good gift for him.
    It's awesome for tracking sleep. It does note 'restlessness' and separate it from waking up but i definitely remember waking up so i'm not sure how accurate it's differentiating between the two is... I imagine temporary wake ups are subtle enough to creep under the restlessness blanket.

Another thing which is super amazing (and also possibly a little creepy) is that it can track your runs/walks etc gps wise and store the data... so when I went for a good mile or so fast walk to meet friends for breakfast, if he wanted to, my husband could have tracked me all the way there...quite specifically too.

It reminds me of the whole possible danger with finding pokemon & pokey battles with gps...my son is so excited about those (he's 15 haha)
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I have a fitbit charge (no HR function) that I wear as a watch to work all of the time. I mostly wear it out of morbid curiosity as to how much I walk at work every day (sometimes upwards of 20 miles and over 25 flights of stairs!) and because I need to know what time it is as well. I have worn it at night a good bit just to compare how I sleep to how the man sleeps (he wakes up all of the time, but sleeps something like 8 or 9 hours a night, while I sleep like a dead thing, but only sleep around 5 hours at most).

It's convenient and keeps me amused, which is more than I can say for most gadgets other than my cell phone or computer that I own
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by HelenOfTroy View Post

want.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

So far the restlessness/waking episodes are fairly regular but no actual pattern. The one thing I can say is that out of the 4/5? nights there seems to be an unbroken period of around 4 hours each night... which I suppose is a good sleep cycle... also note how low my heart rate drops when I am asleep... around 50bpm... the healthier lifestyle does have perks. I'm frustrated because I had a tooth extraction and not allowed to do any vigorous exercise for a week.. but am going to slightly bend the rules and do a semi work out tomorrow (4 days after)... been trying to keep up with exercise with lots of extra walking. Tbh i have set a weight goal according to calorie input and output...(awesome device!) and most days I am under the amount in imput target... so the 'diet forward slash exercise' routine is def achievable. Have lost a stone (not in the last four days lol-approx a kilo a week for a couple of months)... my mini robot friend really helps me keep an eye on my goals and i find it's presence reassuring...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sp

I'm most fond of the multiple alarms. Keeps me from losing time.

The pedometer and calorie tracking is useful but if that's the only thing you want to use it for, there are cheaper alternatives.

Oh! And the sleep tracking! That was a bonus. Helped prove some suspicions I had about my restlessness.

Considering how cheap I got it (almost half price on eBay), having something provide concrete evidence of my dubious health habits was worth it. It autosyncs and packages everything up very nicely for you.