Thread: The tea thread

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Default The tea thread

For all those who love a perfect cuppa.

What's your favorite kind(s)?

I haven't met a tea that I don't like; black, white, green, red, herbal, I like them all. I have sooooo many different kinds. I love to try new ones, and I even buy books on tea. Not sure why I have this obsession but I do.

I was inspired to write this thread because I am sitting here drinking black chai tea and I haven't had that in so long, I forgot how delightfully spicy it is.

PS - For all you Brits, yes, I put the milk in first, then water.
    Last edited by Vasilisa; 03-26-2014 at 09:50 PM. Reason: merged
    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

oo! oo! great thread

Currently drinking Keemun black tea - looseleaf from the Baltimore Coffee & Tea Co.
    Big fan of their loosleaf teas. It's a local establishment but they do mail-order too.

Also like their-
    Apple Cinnamon & Vanilla (flavored black tea)
    Red Bush Blood Orange (blood orange-flavored rooibos)
    Egyptian Chamomile (haven't had it in a while, funny seeing a tin full of small dried flowers)
    Black Currant (flavored black tea)
    Earl Grey Green (haven't tried earl grey black yet, but I dig earl grey twinings)
    Orange Mango (flavored black tea)
    Pai Mu Tan (chinese white tea)
    Chai Bengali (black chai tea)

For the US Twinings teabags I dig earl grey and lapsang souchong once in a while (lapsang souchong is great from the Balt. Coffee & Tea Co. but 4oz is way too much--that's something you can stand to drink *once in a while*)

I have some black chai tea in teabag form at home, think it's from "nature's promise." It's alright.

I've tried Jiaogulan tea before, that stuff actually has medicinal properties from what I've read (vaguely similar to ginseng in chemical makeup but different). I felt really fucking good after drinking it, I know that much. Very calm and "centered" for lack of a better word. I got it from here
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

<3 spirilis

I am drinking some homemade chai tea. It has small chunks of ginger and whole spices floating at the bottom of the tea and that is what's making it taste spicy.

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
    <3 spirilis

I am drinking some homemade chai tea. It has small chunks of ginger and whole spices floating at the bottom of the tea and that is what's making it taste spicy.
    ooo, that sounds splendid. Never tried concocting my own tea before. Sounds like fun
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Ah yeah, there's always the infamous "chai latte" you find at most coffeehouses; my favorite has been Pacific Chai. I've bought the powder for home-use before but it's just not the same without the steamed milk and I don't have a machine to make that.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Green tea with burnt rice.

Mmmm.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Green tea with burnt rice.

Mmmm.
    I like that too, I think it's called gen ma chai. Good hearty green tea. It takes a few cups to get used to the rice, if you've never had it before.

Amongst the bad and mediocre teas I have right now, I have some good teas (coincidentally, all loose, but I'm not against a good bag):
    - Some jasmine green tea mom gave me -- Very nice tea, but unfortunately I don't know the brand
    - Oolong Black Dragon -- good flavor
    - Earl Grey -- not the best Earl Grey I've had, but it's good
    - Jasmine Pearls -- very fun and good flavor
    - Yerba Mate -- bought from a local vendor
    - Rooibos with dried flowers in it -- Good stuff but a little too flowery to drink every day

And although I'm out right now, it's hard to beat a good cup of Stash English Breakfast Tea.
    Yogi is also a fine brand. I enjoy their Kombucha green tea.

I don't usually drink them with milk, cream, sugar, honey, etc. Just black (or green ).

Hmm, I think I'll make a cup now.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Yerba - oy, that's some pretty bitter, intense stuff. That'll wake you up really fast!! (I'm thinking it must grow on you. I love strong bitter black tea, but the first time I tried yerba, it was akin to eating a lemon -- my taste buds were protesting)

I like some green tea blends

I mostly drink black tea though. For grocery store brands, favorites are Tazo 'Awake', and a brand called Taylors of /(and?) Harrowgate. Assam is usually what I get, although I enjoy Darjeeling as well. They also had a 'Scottish Breakfast Tea' that I loved, although it's not stocked at the grocery store anymore.

Earl Grey is nice on occasion.

There are also a couple of small tea companies (one called 'Teavana', another called 'Teasource') that I've gotten loose tea from.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    Yerba - oy, that's some pretty bitter, intense stuff. That'll wake you up really fast!! (I'm thinking it must grow on you. I love strong bitter black tea, but the first time I tried yerba, it was akin to eating a lemon -- my taste buds were protesting)
    Hmm, I might need to try that...

I mostly drink black tea though. For grocery store brands, favorites are Tazo 'Awake', and a brand called Taylors of /(and?) Harrowgate. Assam is usually what I get, although I enjoy Darjeeling as well. They also had a 'Scottish Breakfast Tea' that I loved, although it's not stocked at the grocery store anymore.
    Ahh yes Assam -- that's one I forgot to put in my list above. The looseleaf Assam from the balt. coffee & tea co. is fantastic.

Darjeeling is tasty if you're into floral/aromatic teas. It was a bit much for me but I see why they call it the "champagne" of teas.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

One of my favorites is a loose leaf black tea I have with rose petals. When you drink it, it has a common black tea taste, except it smells like roses. With every sip, it's like smelling a bouquet of fragrant roses. Mmmmmm so nice.