• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The tea thread

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think I have the need bad for some green tea with honey and ginseng...

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Nice. :)

Really? Why is that?

I have not.

Perhaps, Hmm, because I grew up on the prairie we didn't have much of a selection then so tasting various teas would have been an exotic treat. Growing up around lotsa corn and beans growing, the idea of taking a fresh plant and drying it (or not) then drinking it would have been fairly strange.

So I went out into the wide world thinking that all tea was dark brown crinkly stuff in little packages. And you saved the little bags to wring the last possible use out of them. I know, I know. Raised by parents who had gone through the depression. . .

And everyone where I grew up drank coffee. Even small children. Tea was for when you were sick. Hee. A very homogenous set-in-their-way society.

Glad you asked - gave me a chance for reflection.

And 'scuse me for letting my fly-overness show! :wubbie:

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
After enjoying some Assam black tea (the malty, broken orange pekoe looseleaf kind) I've had a renewed obsession with reading about tea.

So I decided to geek out a bit and post some wiki links-

Health benefits - Potential effects of tea on health - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I found this interesting:
Boosts mental alertness

The amino acid L-theanine, found almost exclusively in the tea plant, actively alters the attention networks of the brain, according to results of human trials announced in September 2007. John Foxe, Ph.D., professor of neuroscience, biology and psychology at City College of the City University of New York, found that theanine is absorbed by the small intestine and crosses the blood-brain barrier, where it affects the brain's neurotransmitters and increases alpha brain-wave activity. The result is a calmer, yet more alert, state of mind.[21][22]

That sounds about right to me. A coworker has this weird synthetic "antioxidant drink" stuff he drinks twice a day which contains caffeine along with some other junk. One day I tried a cup of it, and I was impressed by the surge of energy I got from it, but not impressed at all with how jittery I felt. It was more like overdosing on Jolt. Drinking a pot of black tea, on the other hand, wakes me up but keeps me in a slightly subdued state of mind, exactly as that quoted section suggests. It's an active but slightly more-introverted state of mind. This does NOT work well with sleep deprivation, however--I just get more dazed/sleepy instead.

One of the drawbacks, however, includes the effects of tannin on the diet. I read (here) that the tannins can reduce your ability to absorb iron and other minerals from plant food, and as a result it's recommended to drink tea *between* meals rather than with. Or use a tea low in tannin, such as white tea or some herbals.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Perhaps, Hmm, because I grew up on the prairie we didn't have much of a selection then so tasting various teas would have been an exotic treat. Growing up around lotsa corn and beans growing, the idea of taking a fresh plant and drying it (or not) then drinking it would have been fairly strange.

So I went out into the wide world thinking that all tea was dark brown crinkly stuff in little packages. And you saved the little bags to wring the last possible use out of them. I know, I know. Raised by parents who had gone through the depression. . .

And everyone where I grew up drank coffee. Even small children. Tea was for when you were sick. Hee. A very homogenous set-in-their-way society.

Glad you asked - gave me a chance for reflection.

And 'scuse me for letting my fly-overness show! :wubbie:

That was a lovely story. Thank you for sharing. :hug:

After enjoying some Assam black tea (the malty, broken orange pekoe looseleaf kind) I've had a renewed obsession with reading about tea.

:D

One of the drawbacks, however, includes the effects of tannin on the diet.

And, like coffee, don't forget teeth staining. :coffee:

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
Please tell me about it?

Well, it has a different flavor than tea, kind of earthy... very "warm" flavor, I guess, almost like you're drinking leaves from an oak tree.

A lot of people drink it because it gives you energy, but it's not like a caffeine buzz from drinking too much coffee, it's more clear-headed.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
"Teeth staining?" Puleeze. Don't even get me started.

It was getting to the point that between cleanings I didn't even want to present an open-mouthed smile anymore. Looked like a refugee from the soup kitchens!

(No offense meant to any soup kitchen frequenters.)

All our obsessions have a price. . .

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Sounds intriguing, rhinosaur.

And you can buy it in NC? Will have to look about.

Um. Isn't that a bunny?

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
And you can buy it in NC? Will have to look about.

Yes, I know a local dealer who stocks it. You could also probably get it at any Teavana or similar store. I've also bought it in bags from those fancy heath-and-eco-friendly grocery stores. You could also buy it online and have it shipped to you.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, it has a different flavor than tea, kind of earthy... very "warm" flavor, I guess, almost like you're drinking leaves from an oak tree.

A lot of people drink it because it gives you energy, but it's not like a caffeine buzz from drinking too much coffee, it's more clear-headed.

Huh, no kidding. (just read about it Yerba mate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) ... I might have to try this sometime. That sounds interesting.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I haven't really tried much oolong tea before, but recently I bought some looseleaf "Wuyi" Oolong tea and I must say it's heavenly. Very pleasant, "sweet smoky" aroma. Add honey + milk and it's a delicious combination of sweet+ smoky + slightly buttery (like having a well-cooked pastry).

Ellpell

MBTI Type
INFP
I really like this tread :) It makes me happy for some reason.

At the moment I'm drinking loose leaf vanilla flavoured black tea, absolutely wonderful.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This thread makes me happy too. :laugh:

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
This thread would make me infinitely happier if I had someone to make me teas as I read it. :rofl1:

I'm not capable of making my own. I can only make toast but God dammit, is it tasty toast.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Okay I'll make you tea and you can make me toast. :woot:

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Alrighty. I'm gonna call our toast "crumpets" though, so we can feel like classy British BA's while we sip our tea and eat our toast. Cool?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think that would be lovely Good Sir. :)

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Oooh I want in on this :yes: I'll bring the fine china and an aloof attitude.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
*Invites Trinity into the tea party* :wubbie: