• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The tea thread

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
All of which are fantastic choices :D

If you're looking for something rather... hearty, try Assam black tea and brew it strong (double the bags, don't brew it longer). Nice malty flavor & aroma :D Add milk & honey and it tastes like a warm malt milkshake!

Hey, thanks! :hug:

I will definitley try that Assam tea out. I double bag my Earl Grey and Constant Comment so that sounds pretty good! :D

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
I am at present drinking green tea with a hint of peppermint, from Mr Tetley's plantation in Yorkshire.

It ain't half hot, mum.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Someone told me red tea was the shiznit. Someone was wrong.

Isn't that what the Germans make "Gluhwein" out of???

Red Tea + Red Wine + Spices = VOMIT!!!

:doh:

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So I have a question for the tea drinkers here or anyone who knows about this. I went to this store that just sells tea the other day and I was talking with the salesperson there and she told me something that didn't quite sound right to me. I told her that I sometimes microwave water in a cup to get it hot first and then steep the tea in that. She then said that I shouldn't microwave water to get it hot because microwaving it changes the chemical composition of the water and then the tea doesn't taste as good. :thinking: She said it's better to heat the water up on the stove. She also said that microwaved hot water cools down quicker than boiled water. Do these two things sound true to you guys?

Someone told me red tea was the shiznit. Someone was wrong.

I've been drinking some Rooibos lately because I wasn't feeling well and it's decaffeinated. It's not bad. Not great either.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Orange Chocolate Green Tea

Sweet Ginger Peach Tea

Still considerably the most delicious teas I've ever tried, these two flavors. I've been to Teavana a few times, and while I liked a couple of their stuff, none of it compared to the convenience of these which come individually wrapped and they're cheaper.

Very easy recipe: Pot/Kettle of water to boil, 4 tea bags to steep until darkened and leaves are opened and expanded, and add 1/4th cup sugar and another pot/kettle's worth of cold water and chill.

When I can drink again I'm definitely trying the peach tea with some nice top shelf rum (sweet tea and rum is my favorite mixed drink so far) and the chocolate orange green tea has been the only other thing I've come to enjoy eating sweets with when milk isn't available.

Ingrid in grids

I like any herbaceous-tasting tea.
For sweet teas, I enjoy licorice... and berry teas...
Has anyone ever had a blooming flower tea? I had one for the first time a few days ago and it was :wub:

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
She also said that microwaved hot water cools down quicker than boiled water.

This is true. The other one, I'm not really sure, even though I should know. Doesn't make much sense...I mean it's still H2O. I forget right now, what the definition of heat is, in physics. But I think it's when the molecules are all over the place hitting against one another in a sort of a chain reaction. They settle down eventually....I also forget how exactly a microwaves generates heat...Damn...my knowledge of physics is waning with each passing year...

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is true. The other one, I'm not really sure, even though I should know. Doesn't make much sense...I mean it's still H2O. I forget right now, what the definition of heat is, in physics. But I think it's when the molecules are all over the place hitting against one another in a sort of a chain reaction. They settle down eventually....I also forget how exactly a microwaves generates heat...Damn...my knowledge of physics is waning with each passing year...

I have noticed that microwaved heated things do cool down very quickly
but I so don't want this to be true! I like being lazy like this. Wah!

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Belh. I hate microwaving my tea. I do it every class day, because I don't have time to wait for the kettle to boil.

It's the strangest thing, but the tea actually looks, tastes, and feels different when I microwave it. It becomes filmy and the flavor is weak.

It occurs to me though, that up to this point, I've always microwaved it with the bag in the water in cup. Maybe I should try microwaving the water without the bag, and the put the bag in it. :unsure:

P

Phantonym

I love tea. I have a cupboard full of all sorts of different blends and such. But my two favourites would be peppermint and linden flower tea. Handpicked from my garden. Childhood nostalgia :)

Kaizer

sophiloist
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
She also said that microwaved hot water cools down quicker than boiled water.
The heated molecules rise to the top and since heating is uniform in the microwave oven i.e. the way microwaves agitate molecules which results in a rise in temperature, as opposed to convection currents when heating on a flame, the top layer boils before the rest of the water reaches that temperature. hence stirring and reheating when you zap a liquid makes for better heating up.
She then said that I shouldn't microwave water to get it hot because microwaving it changes the chemical composition of the water and then the tea doesn't taste as good.
If you add a lil bit of sugar, or as much you normally have with tea, when you boil water, the temperature at which it boils goes up and hence when you add the leaves/bag, the brewing starts at a higher temperature. If/when you use leaves, there's also that tricky balance as to when to stop brewing because more than one's preferred amounts of pectin and tannin start to get released, which would make the tea bitter or more bitter than you want it to be.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
i am not much of tea drinker normally, but i got hooked on masala chai when i was in India. it is pretty much the only tea i drink.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Belh. I hate microwaving my tea. I do it every class day, because I don't have time to wait for the kettle to boil.

It's the strangest thing, but the tea actually looks, tastes, and feels different when I microwave it. It becomes filmy and the flavor is weak.

It occurs to me though, that up to this point, I've always microwaved it with the bag in the water in cup. Maybe I should try microwaving the water without the bag, and the put the bag in it. :unsure:

You know what? you're right. I've never noticed before but there is a film on it after you microwave it. Eww. Gross! No more microwaving for me now.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is my tea log now.

I'm really into rooibos these days. The first time I tried it a long time ago, I didn't like it but now I LOVE it. I'm going to start making my own rooibos tea bag blends. I like that I can drink it all day long and not feel guilty for having too much caffeine or worry about getting stained teeth. It's very mild in flavor and not for those who insist on strong tea. I can appreciate it. :)

I bought myself this for Christmas but I haven't used it yet. I just want to brew my tea on the go! You just dump the hot water and the loose tea leaves (or bag) in there and go. No need to wait around for it to brew. When you drink it, the tea leaves stay behind the strainer in the glass, and you get to see the tea brewing through the glass container. :holy:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:wubbie: mmm... tea...

I used to have an ammunition chest full of tea, but lost it when moving, which was tragic :cry:

My default tea is jasmine green tea from the chinese grociery store down the street, though I tend to collect several different types at any given time- there's nothing better than a cup of tea after dinner, or before...

Kaizer

sophiloist
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I bought myself this for Christmas but I haven't used it yet. I just want to brew my tea on the go! You just dump the hot water and the loose tea leaves (or bag) in there and go. No need to wait around for it to brew. When you drink it, the tea leaves stay behind the strainer in the glass, and you get to see the tea brewing through the glass container. :holy:
ever tried a french press?
My default tea is jasmine green tea from the chinese grociery store down the street, though I tend to collect several different types at any given time
ever try blending.. basically two kinds of tea leaves, a technique that is based in black tea blending
there's nothing better than a cup of tea after dinner, or before...
but... with tea... there's no before or after

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:wubbie: mmm... tea...

I used to have an ammunition chest full of tea, but lost it when moving, which was tragic :cry:

My default tea is jasmine green tea from the chinese grociery store down the street, though I tend to collect several different types at any given time- there's nothing better than a cup of tea after dinner, or before...

I agree. I love tea at any time.

I don't think I've ever had jasmine green tea. I'll have to try that. :)

ever tried a french press?

No, what's that?

ever try blending.. basically two kinds of tea leaves, a technique that is based in black tea blending

I have done this inadvertently but only with black tea. I've never tried blending different colored teas together.