User Tag List

First 6141516171826 Last

Thread: The tea thread

Phantonym

I love tea. I have a cupboard full of all sorts of different blends and such. But my two favourites would be peppermint and linden flower tea. Handpicked from my garden. Childhood nostalgia

MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    She also said that microwaved hot water cools down quicker than boiled water.
    The heated molecules rise to the top and since heating is uniform in the microwave oven i.e. the way microwaves agitate molecules which results in a rise in temperature, as opposed to convection currents when heating on a flame, the top layer boils before the rest of the water reaches that temperature. hence stirring and reheating when you zap a liquid makes for better heating up.
    She then said that I shouldn't microwave water to get it hot because microwaving it changes the chemical composition of the water and then the tea doesn't taste as good.
    If you add a lil bit of sugar, or as much you normally have with tea, when you boil water, the temperature at which it boils goes up and hence when you add the leaves/bag, the brewing starts at a higher temperature. If/when you use leaves, there's also that tricky balance as to when to stop brewing because more than one's preferred amounts of pectin and tannin start to get released, which would make the tea bitter or more bitter than you want it to be.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

i am not much of tea drinker normally, but i got hooked on masala chai when i was in India. it is pretty much the only tea i drink.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I'm just going to boil the kettle...

It melted.
    <3

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Belh. I hate microwaving my tea. I do it every class day, because I don't have time to wait for the kettle to boil.

It's the strangest thing, but the tea actually looks, tastes, and feels different when I microwave it. It becomes filmy and the flavor is weak.

It occurs to me though, that up to this point, I've always microwaved it with the bag in the water in cup. Maybe I should try microwaving the water without the bag, and the put the bag in it.
    You know what? you're right. I've never noticed before but there is a film on it after you microwave it. Eww. Gross! No more microwaving for me now.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Default This is my tea log now.

I'm really into rooibos these days. The first time I tried it a long time ago, I didn't like it but now I LOVE it. I'm going to start making my own rooibos tea bag blends. I like that I can drink it all day long and not feel guilty for having too much caffeine or worry about getting stained teeth. It's very mild in flavor and not for those who insist on strong tea. I can appreciate it.

I bought myself this for Christmas but I haven't used it yet. I just want to brew my tea on the go! You just dump the hot water and the loose tea leaves (or bag) in there and go. No need to wait around for it to brew. When you drink it, the tea leaves stay behind the strainer in the glass, and you get to see the tea brewing through the glass container.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

mmm... tea...

I used to have an ammunition chest full of tea, but lost it when moving, which was tragic

My default tea is jasmine green tea from the chinese grociery store down the street, though I tend to collect several different types at any given time- there's nothing better than a cup of tea after dinner, or before...
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII None

I bought myself this for Christmas but I haven't used it yet. I just want to brew my tea on the go! You just dump the hot water and the loose tea leaves (or bag) in there and go. No need to wait around for it to brew. When you drink it, the tea leaves stay behind the strainer in the glass, and you get to see the tea brewing through the glass container.
    ever tried a french press?
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    My default tea is jasmine green tea from the chinese grociery store down the street, though I tend to collect several different types at any given time
    ever try blending.. basically two kinds of tea leaves, a technique that is based in black tea blending
    there's nothing better than a cup of tea after dinner, or before...
    but... with tea... there's no before or after
    The answer must be in the attempt
    avy url : natgeocreative Photo

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

mmm... tea...

I used to have an ammunition chest full of tea, but lost it when moving, which was tragic

My default tea is jasmine green tea from the chinese grociery store down the street, though I tend to collect several different types at any given time- there's nothing better than a cup of tea after dinner, or before...
    I agree. I love tea at any time.

I don't think I've ever had jasmine green tea. I'll have to try that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chi'xer View Post
    ever tried a french press?
    No, what's that?

ever try blending.. basically two kinds of tea leaves, a technique that is based in black tea blending
    I have done this inadvertently but only with black tea. I've never tried blending different colored teas together.

MBTI
    iNtJ

Rooibos chai. It's excellent. Buy it at Trader Joe's.