User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Default How do you balance the cost of fitness?

What things have you learned, places you've gone, and things you've done to keep the cost of being healthy down?

I'm really inspired all the time watching raw food shows on youtube, even though honestly I cannot maintain that 80/10/10 lifestyle for more than a day. Regardless of how my body reacted to it, I could never afford it. Even the non-profit things here are $90 every week for enough fruits and vegetables to get me through a week, and that's not including everything I need--nuts, seeds, favorite foods, things like coconuts, blenders, food processors, juicers, etc. It's an expensive endeavor to go raw..

One of my favorite videos to watch literally said "For less than $10 a serving..." .. Which is pretty incredible because that was my budget per person for a week for a long time.

I have found a fresh farmer's market that sells discount produce that's perfect for cooking into soups or cooking and freezing that day. I can get 4-5 shallots (usually $3-4 a piece at Krogers) for $0.50. I cook and freeze more of my foods, and I've learned how important portion control is for a budget. We also grow much of our own food, and if I need things like herbs I tend to go buy the plant vs a few stalks so that I can plant it when I'm done and maybe have more to spare when I need it again. I discovered making refrigerator pickles out of lots of things instead of buying pickles, which has helped a lot since pickles are expensive for good ones.

I've stopped buying work out DVDs, which was my work out obsession for a long while at half price books, in exchange for getting them at thrift stores, garage sales, and using youtube which has a fantastic BeFit section of their website now with tons of popular, but older, work out DVD sessions. I used to use a gym in the past.. and truth be told, I loved it. I loved going there, popping onto some weight racks, running around the track upstairs, attending a class, swimming.. whatever I wanted, it was all there for me. But it isn't worth the price when a pool is free down the street, my weights cost 1 month's worth of membership to buy, gas is saved, equipment is spared (I don't need gym bags, small travel accessories, etc.), and time is saved. Sometimes I bring my nephews to keep me energetic while I am running/walking too.

But I want to hear from y'all. What tricks are you doing health wise (anything really) to save time and money?
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

This is a very small thing and I don't know if it applies to you, but I've started bringing a whole workweek's worth of food to my work fridge every Monday. Before, I'd been racing out the door and forgetting food, meaning I'd have to buy food at my workplace for like 5x the amount as grocery store food. Been doing this with coffee as well, by cold-brewing with cheap grounds, like Folger's -- cold-brewing improves its taste tremendously -- which saves a TON of money.

Other miscellaneous things:
    - Always buying the store brand (cheaper and tastes the same)
    - Bulk, as often as possible
    - Making stuff in bulk and freezing it (which it looks like you do already)
    - Do you have a Trader Joe's? That place is a miracle
    - Regrowing things in water -- I've done it with green onions, but you can do it with other stuff too
    - Snacking on snacks that stick to your ribs -- leads to smaller meals, which saves money
    - Small candies for dessert -- once I realized that all I needed was a HINT of something sweet after meals, I realized that one or two Dove dark chocolates would do the trick. Much cheaper than ice cream, and healthier as well.

May add more later
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

I need to try cold brewing.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I need to try cold brewing.
    So. Good. You should definitely try it!

I usually use this recipe, though for a while I used another good one that involved brown sugar and cinnamon.

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"

This is an interesting thread but I can't think of anything beyond, I order supps from America and am careful in what I get and use. I need to be a bit more careful. I spend a lot of cash on fluids and protein foods. When I am working.

Thanks! I first saw it on thug kitchen...

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

^ I LOVE THAT.

Those guys have it right \m/

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Plant a veggie garden, fruit bushes, purchase dried fruits & nuts in bulk to make your own trail-mix.
    Lesser quality fruit (drops) are good for a juicer.
    I buy extra turkeys during the holiday season & store them in a freezer chest.
    Some people are against hunting but venison is much leaner than beef & free of growth hormones.
    Ween yourself from caffeine & other vices that cost too much money. Scour classifieds & fleamarkets for deals on weight lifting or training equipment.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    This is a very small thing and I don't know if it applies to you, but I've started bringing a whole workweek's worth of food to my work fridge every Monday. Before, I'd been racing out the door and forgetting food, meaning I'd have to buy food at my workplace for like 5x the amount as grocery store food. Been doing this with coffee as well, by cold-brewing with cheap grounds, like Folger's -- cold-brewing improves its taste tremendously -- which saves a TON of money.
    I'm not a coffee drinker, but when I do drink it, I always cold brew it because I only want a single cup and the taste is milder. If I want it hot I just stick it in the microwave after because, lets face it, I doctor it up so badly anyways the taste doesn't really matter to me.

Also, I just discovered how useful our kitchen is at the school.. So I have a set-up now where I'm taking sandwich fixings and a box of soup over there and a lemon, and I'm prepping/eating food out of the fridge and microwave and washing the dishes afterwards and everything. I didn't know it existed, I thought it was just a microwave back there! I also have a couple freezer sandwiches in there in case I forget to bring food so I won't buy it at the school.

- Small candies for dessert -- once I realized that all I needed was a HINT of something sweet after meals, I realized that one or two Dove dark chocolates would do the trick. Much cheaper than ice cream, and healthier as well.
    I've recently discovered this trick myself. My favorite lately has been blueberries + thin small chocolate drops or chocolate chips.

Quote Originally Posted by OrderOfTheCaelifera View Post
    I buy extra turkeys during the holiday season & store them in a freezer chest.
    We do this as well! Particularly when they give the hams away for free too... We can eat for nearly 2 weeks on a ham and a turkey with enough protein for each lunch and dinner.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

WhoCares

Eating mostly vegetables is a lot cheaper than eating a lot of fruit. You can grow a surprising amount of edibles in a pot. A free broccoli box from your local grocer can grow enough lettuce for daily salad all year round. And green leafy vegetables are usually expensive to buy and go off in the fridge fast. Other pot culture edibles include kale, spinach, nightshades and mushrooms (easy to culture and grow).

I love coffee so I purchased a home lever machine and roast my own beans.
    The setup paid for itself in 1yr and I expect it to last another 30yrs. The machine I bought is a classic and extant models from the first year of production (1960's) are still going strong. Mine was 30yrs old when I got it. The only maintainence is a few seals every couple of years. My cappucino's cost me about 50 cents each and I buy the best premium beans available. I was buying 1 cup a day @$3.40 = $1241, now it costs me $183 p.a. i roast my beans in a saucepan. Sounds primitive but you can get a surprisingly good roast that way. Every now and again I buy a coffee and to be honest, miss my home roast every time.

I saved on yoga classes by buying a $3 iPhone app. Its very good for video instruction and also has detailed notes on every pose. If you are entirey new to yoga classes will be worthwhile, but once you've had some instruction you can safely practice at home and attend classes less regularly.