• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do you balance the cost of fitness?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
What things have you learned, places you've gone, and things you've done to keep the cost of being healthy down?

I'm really inspired all the time watching raw food shows on youtube, even though honestly I cannot maintain that 80/10/10 lifestyle for more than a day. Regardless of how my body reacted to it, I could never afford it. Even the non-profit things here are $90 every week for enough fruits and vegetables to get me through a week, and that's not including everything I need--nuts, seeds, favorite foods, things like coconuts, blenders, food processors, juicers, etc. It's an expensive endeavor to go raw..

One of my favorite videos to watch literally said "For less than $10 a serving..." .. Which is pretty incredible because that was my budget per person for a week for a long time.

I have found a fresh farmer's market that sells discount produce that's perfect for cooking into soups or cooking and freezing that day. I can get 4-5 shallots (usually $3-4 a piece at Krogers) for $0.50. I cook and freeze more of my foods, and I've learned how important portion control is for a budget. We also grow much of our own food, and if I need things like herbs I tend to go buy the plant vs a few stalks so that I can plant it when I'm done and maybe have more to spare when I need it again. I discovered making refrigerator pickles out of lots of things instead of buying pickles, which has helped a lot since pickles are expensive for good ones.

I've stopped buying work out DVDs, which was my work out obsession for a long while at half price books, in exchange for getting them at thrift stores, garage sales, and using youtube which has a fantastic BeFit section of their website now with tons of popular, but older, work out DVD sessions. I used to use a gym in the past.. and truth be told, I loved it. I loved going there, popping onto some weight racks, running around the track upstairs, attending a class, swimming.. whatever I wanted, it was all there for me. But it isn't worth the price when a pool is free down the street, my weights cost 1 month's worth of membership to buy, gas is saved, equipment is spared (I don't need gym bags, small travel accessories, etc.), and time is saved. Sometimes I bring my nephews to keep me energetic while I am running/walking too.

But I want to hear from y'all. What tricks are you doing health wise (anything really) to save time and money?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This is a very small thing and I don't know if it applies to you, but I've started bringing a whole workweek's worth of food to my work fridge every Monday. Before, I'd been racing out the door and forgetting food, meaning I'd have to buy food at my workplace for like 5x the amount as grocery store food. Been doing this with coffee as well, by cold-brewing with cheap grounds, like Folger's -- cold-brewing improves its taste tremendously -- which saves a TON of money.

Other miscellaneous things:
- Always buying the store brand (cheaper and tastes the same)
- Bulk, as often as possible
- Making stuff in bulk and freezing it (which it looks like you do already)
- Do you have a Trader Joe's? That place is a miracle
- Regrowing things in water -- I've done it with green onions, but you can do it with other stuff too
- Snacking on snacks that stick to your ribs -- leads to smaller meals, which saves money
- Small candies for dessert -- once I realized that all I needed was a HINT of something sweet after meals, I realized that one or two Dove dark chocolates would do the trick. Much cheaper than ice cream, and healthier as well.

May add more later

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I need to try cold brewing.
So. Good. You should definitely try it!

I usually use this recipe, though for a while I used another good one that involved brown sugar and cinnamon.

wolfy

awsm
This is an interesting thread but I can't think of anything beyond, I order supps from America and am careful in what I get and use. I need to be a bit more careful. I spend a lot of cash on fluids and protein foods. When I am working.

wolfy

awsm
Thanks! I first saw it on thug kitchen...

tumblr_mqg1vk52xB1rfwyd0o1_1280.jpg

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ I LOVE THAT.

Those guys have it right \m/

OrderOfTheCaelifera

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Plant a veggie garden, fruit bushes, purchase dried fruits & nuts in bulk to make your own trail-mix.
Lesser quality fruit (drops) are good for a juicer.
I buy extra turkeys during the holiday season & store them in a freezer chest.
Some people are against hunting but venison is much leaner than beef & free of growth hormones.
Ween yourself from caffeine & other vices that cost too much money. Scour classifieds & fleamarkets for deals on weight lifting or training equipment.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
This is a very small thing and I don't know if it applies to you, but I've started bringing a whole workweek's worth of food to my work fridge every Monday. Before, I'd been racing out the door and forgetting food, meaning I'd have to buy food at my workplace for like 5x the amount as grocery store food. Been doing this with coffee as well, by cold-brewing with cheap grounds, like Folger's -- cold-brewing improves its taste tremendously -- which saves a TON of money.

I'm not a coffee drinker, but when I do drink it, I always cold brew it because I only want a single cup and the taste is milder. If I want it hot I just stick it in the microwave after because, lets face it, I doctor it up so badly anyways the taste doesn't really matter to me.

Also, I just discovered how useful our kitchen is at the school.. So I have a set-up now where I'm taking sandwich fixings and a box of soup over there and a lemon, and I'm prepping/eating food out of the fridge and microwave and washing the dishes afterwards and everything. I didn't know it existed, I thought it was just a microwave back there! I also have a couple freezer sandwiches in there in case I forget to bring food so I won't buy it at the school.

- Small candies for dessert -- once I realized that all I needed was a HINT of something sweet after meals, I realized that one or two Dove dark chocolates would do the trick. Much cheaper than ice cream, and healthier as well.

I've recently discovered this trick myself. My favorite lately has been blueberries + thin small chocolate drops or chocolate chips.

I buy extra turkeys during the holiday season & store them in a freezer chest.

We do this as well! Particularly when they give the hams away for free too... We can eat for nearly 2 weeks on a ham and a turkey with enough protein for each lunch and dinner.

W

WhoCares

Eating mostly vegetables is a lot cheaper than eating a lot of fruit. You can grow a surprising amount of edibles in a pot. A free broccoli box from your local grocer can grow enough lettuce for daily salad all year round. And green leafy vegetables are usually expensive to buy and go off in the fridge fast. Other pot culture edibles include kale, spinach, nightshades and mushrooms (easy to culture and grow).

I love coffee so I purchased a home lever machine and roast my own beans.
The setup paid for itself in 1yr and I expect it to last another 30yrs. The machine I bought is a classic and extant models from the first year of production (1960's) are still going strong. Mine was 30yrs old when I got it. The only maintainence is a few seals every couple of years. My cappucino's cost me about 50 cents each and I buy the best premium beans available. I was buying 1 cup a day @$3.40 = $1241, now it costs me $183 p.a. i roast my beans in a saucepan. Sounds primitive but you can get a surprisingly good roast that way. Every now and again I buy a coffee and to be honest, miss my home roast every time.

I saved on yoga classes by buying a $3 iPhone app. Its very good for video instruction and also has detailed notes on every pose. If you are entirey new to yoga classes will be worthwhile, but once you've had some instruction you can safely practice at home and attend classes less regularly.

Attachments

• i6-photobucket-com-albums-y230-home-barista-olympia-cremina.jpg
    i6-photobucket-com-albums-y230-home-barista-olympia-cremina.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 126

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
^ The coffee machine sounds like a great investment. :) I'm glad it works for you!

I need to start doing yoga, much as I hate it.. -_-..

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Bulk frozen chicken breasts/Hamburgers

I used to use my juicer more, but SO much waste.
Bought a NutriBullet (saving up for a BlendTec) and now I just put anything and everything in there. No waste.

Subway, haha, seriously.

Bulk Rice.
Just keep some marinara or soy sauce, good butter, seracha,

"Buying DVDs" this never ceases to blow my mind for people on a budget, or just cheap like me. BITTORRENT.
Learn to use it (I use Vuze, and find torrents on piratebay/kickass torrents/torrentz). All the free videos you could ever want. That's where I got Insanity AND P90X, among others.

I have 2 35lb dumbells that i can utilize in 100 ways if I don't feel like going to the gym.
Plus curl bar that can be used for lots of stuff. You can buy used weights on craigslist for damn cheap, and the quality lasts forever.

I did invest in a cheapish (also on craigslist, or Wal-Mart with cheap 3 year warranty), but very functional treadmill a few years ago, one of the best investments ever. I may be too lazy to go to the gym, to do a DVD, go to a martial arts class, even jog outside, but I am NEVER too lazy to crawl over to the treadmill and do a 5 minute walk, which usually turns into a 40 minute run.

Peanut butter, bulk eggs, vitamin D milk. All pack huge calories. And good ones if you can tolerate it AND are working out.

Also, I tend to never eat leftovers, and they spoil and get thrown out, so now what I do is, if I'm grilling steak/hamburgers/chicken, I'll do like 4 servings, eat one, then wait to cool, and tin foil wrap the rest and freeze. then, just bake in the oven for like 30-35 minutes at 330 degrees.

I like that because I can eat it when I want it. And there really isn't much flavor loss, IMO. I'll do the same with cooked rice in tupperware, freeze it, ooooohhh, sweet potato soup. That's a good one. Cut and boil like 8 and then add water and blend. I like to add lots of good grassfed butter. Pretty cheap, high quality carbs. And I'll freeze that too.

gromit

likes this
Exercise:
I have free gym membership at school but hardly ever use it.

I ride my bicycle everywhere (no gas, cheaper maintenance, bonus of exercise!) and play pickup FH on the weekends and - starting this week - on Tuesdays. Try to do one longer run and one interval workout over the rest of the week and do some simple body weight exercises for resistance/impact training. Push ups, hopping onto things, burpees, tricep dips, etc.

I have fallen out of the habit of doing free weights, but after this FH tournament I'm thinking of starting up again with that, will just use the school gym. One option I was considering a couple years ago (when I was taking my prereqs and had quit my old gym) was purchasing an adjustable dumbell set to lift at home. You can put different amounts of weight onto the bars to customize, but not great for heavier things like squats. Pricey upfront but cheaper than gym membership over time.

Food:
I don't buy organic food, eat a lot of the cheapest fruits and veggies. Slowly over time have developed this "system" that seems to work for me and my budget and time constraints. Here's what I typically buy for the week:

-Large head of lettuce - usually red leaf (88-99c)
-1-2lb carrots (~50-75c/lb)
-7 granny smith apples (99c/lb)
-1 lb strawberries (usually $2-$2.50/lb) or grapes (99c/lb)
-Block of tofu (1.49)
-Bunch of scallions (50c)
-Store brand milk, cheese, yogurt, eggs
-Any fruits, veggies, or other products that are on sale that week (Annies will often go on sale for $1/box... not pure health food, but super convenient)

I have a huge tupperware for the lettuce. I tear it into bite size pieces, wash it, spin it, and put it in the tupperware with layers of paper towels, it usually lasts like that for a few days to a week. I usually have a large salad almost every day, grab a few handfuls of lettuce, chop up scallions and carrots and sprinkle in some nuts/seeds, or go fancy and put in some fruit. And I usually prep half the head at the beginning of the week and then refill with the remaining half once I've eaten the first half.

I tend to make a giant batch of a food I love (lentil veggie pot pie, or something), then I can eat it throughout the week for meals. And sometimes I freeze some for later as well.

When there is a sale, I buy more
-tea
-beans and lentils
-store brand frozen bean and cheese burritos (they are usually 6/$2.50)
-garlic, onions, potatoes
-butter, olive oil, peanut butter
-frozen veggies like spinach
-rolled oats
-nuts, seeds
-etc

to replenish my stash. And I have a huuuge bag of quinoa from costco (classmate has a membership)

Simple and free, but easy to slack on:
Drink lots of water, get enough sleep

Sunny Ghost

Kroger is usually pretty good about veggies on sale. I always buy the ones that are marked down.

I'm a bit anti-gym. Though, lately I've been considering it. The local Gold's Gym has been running a 9.99 special. Thinking of checking that out.

I'm mostly a runner and aerobics at home, kind of gal. I like to trail run. Though I do miss my parent's tread mill time to time. So the only thing I'm ever really concerned about are shoes! And maybe a good sports bra. But the out door's is free.

I have a few weights and a stability ball and a resistance band at home. I try to use them while watching television. Also, doing things like squats while brushing my teeth. Or waking up and doing jumping jacks and however many sit ups, crunches, or planks I can fit in before I have to hop in the shower.

I fill up my water bottle the night before, so I drink it as soon as I wake up. I also go ahead and boil in advance several eggs to munch on for my breakfast, and pre-package granola to add to my yogurts. Pack my lunchbox the night before for work. And I usually pack snacks like string cheese, an apple with some peanut butter, dark chocolate. My work days start at 4:30 am already, so I don't have a lot of time to try and get much accomplished before hand, so I do have a tendency to rely on things I can grab and throw into my lunch box. I work 12.5 hour shifts, so all my meals are eaten while at work, so I have a tendency to buy Cafe steamers and lean cuisines to cover one of my meals for work days and usually try to have a really big salad for my lunch, or whatever is left over from a meal at home.

I tried to do the whole organic everything route and signed up for a local farmer's package type thing for a while. But for me it got too costly. Learn what foods really need to be bought organic, and just buy regular everything else.

Also: there are a lot of veggies you can regrow. [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION] mentioned the green onions already. I actually have a jar on my counter I've regrown. Pineapple is another. Cilantro. Potatoes, I believe.

Coffee at home is a must. Can't afford to buy a coffee out at the local cafe every day. Though it used to be an addiction of mine.

Pinterest is a great resource, imo. I keep a folder on dif. types of work outs and challenges. And there are a lot of health resources available there, as well. DIY tips. Etc.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I'm a bit anti-gym. Though, lately I've been considering it. The local Gold's Gym has been running a 9.99 special. Thinking of checking that out.

(I use Kroger's manager specials all the time!) Don't do it!! It's a trap!! .. Really. I mean, I like gyms don't get me wrong. But $10 a month times 1 year = $120. For $120, you could buy a new pair of running shoes, some used gym equipment on craigslist, a fancy gadget to get shit done, and still have money left over to say "fuck it" if you decide not to go.

Studies have shown (read: I've noticed) that paying for a gym does NOT really motivate people to go. In fact, it seems to do the opposite. Like subconsciously they already feel healthier by going to the gym. You want to eliminate as many excuses as possible.. and gyms add to them instead of subtracting them. If you have a work out buddy, it's great. If not? Whenever it rains, or someone borrows the car, or there's traffic, or you're busy.. instead of it taking 30 minutes to do a work out.. it now takes over an hour to get in the car, drive there, get ready, work out, shower, and drive home. Then you have to load and unload your stuff you took with you too.

Plus, those specials sometimes turn out to have hidden charges. $9.99 + the $3 service fees, or + $30 to sign up, and you have to give them 60 days notice to cancel your membership even though it takes them 60 seconds to do it in actuality. There's always something.

I fill up my water bottle the night before, so I drink it as soon as I wake up.

I recently got into the habit of keeping a large disposable jug on my night stand and I have been grateful of it ever since.

14127436_201307191112.jpg
I just keep a wash cloth under the spout just in case I drip a bit.

I tried to do the whole organic everything route and signed up for a local farmer's package type thing for a while. But for me it got too costly. Learn what foods really need to be bought organic, and just buy regular everything else.

I'm sort of the same way--but I went in the other direction and decided to garden. It doesn't cover everything, but it makes me eat vegetables more regularly because I took the time to make them AND they'll go bad if I don't. They're pretty affordable.. and I don't garden like some people with perfect rows and stuff. Weeds EVERYWHERE, overgrown stuff.. I love it.

I could never get pineapple to regrow, try as I might. It always dies.

Pinterest is a great resource, imo. I keep a folder on dif. types of work outs and challenges. And there are a lot of health resources available there, as well. DIY tips. Etc.

I'm not on pinterest, but I definitely keep up with some stuff. My Fit Station, and Betty Rocker are two sites that I particularly like the free work outs from. :)

-Large head of lettuce - usually red leaf (88-99c)
-1-2lb carrots (~50-75c/lb)
-7 granny smith apples (99c/lb)
-1 lb strawberries (usually $2-$2.50/lb) or grapes (99c/lb)
-Block of tofu (1.49)
-Bunch of scallions (50c)
-Store brand milk, cheese, yogurt, eggs
-Any fruits, veggies, or other products that are on sale that week (Annies will often go on sale for $1/box... not pure health food, but super convenient)

I tend to make a giant batch of a food I love (lentil veggie pot pie, or something), then I can eat it throughout the week for meals. And sometimes I freeze some for later as well.

Really cool list :)

I've been meaning to find some healthier low-sodium miso paste and start enjoying miso soup in the mornings again.. your tofu reminded me of it. :laugh: I like annie's as well for the kids! A couple applegate hot dogs + annie's mac and cheese isn't god awful for them, and they eat it like crazy.

I thought those salad mason jar things were really cool and they DID work.. but I found it easier to just put the salad together in a big bowl and dress it as I pulled handfuls of it out.

gromit

likes this
Yeah the mason jars are a cute idea, but I tend to prep up a big head of lettuce: wash + spin + tear/cut into pieces, and then layer it with paper towels in a huge tupperware. Then I ca just grab handfuls, sprinkle in some sunflower seeds or shredded cheese, chop up some scallions, maybe carrots or grapes or something like that. Pretty decent, easy salad with little work except up front.

For dressing I just do oil and vinegar and a little S&P. I have a little container for the dressing and just mix that in when I'm ready to eat it.

If I wanna get fancy or mix things up, maybe do soy sauce and sriracha and a little sesame oil.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
What things have you learned, places you've gone, and things you've done to keep the cost of being healthy down?

I'm really inspired all the time watching raw food shows on youtube, even though honestly I cannot maintain that 80/10/10 lifestyle for more than a day. Regardless of how my body reacted to it, I could never afford it. Even the non-profit things here are $90 every week for enough fruits and vegetables to get me through a week, and that's not including everything I need--nuts, seeds, favorite foods, things like coconuts, blenders, food processors, juicers, etc. It's an expensive endeavor to go raw..

One of my favorite videos to watch literally said "For less than $10 a serving..." .. Which is pretty incredible because that was my budget per person for a week for a long time.

I have found a fresh farmer's market that sells discount produce that's perfect for cooking into soups or cooking and freezing that day. I can get 4-5 shallots (usually $3-4 a piece at Krogers) for $0.50. I cook and freeze more of my foods, and I've learned how important portion control is for a budget. We also grow much of our own food, and if I need things like herbs I tend to go buy the plant vs a few stalks so that I can plant it when I'm done and maybe have more to spare when I need it again. I discovered making refrigerator pickles out of lots of things instead of buying pickles, which has helped a lot since pickles are expensive for good ones.

I've stopped buying work out DVDs, which was my work out obsession for a long while at half price books, in exchange for getting them at thrift stores, garage sales, and using youtube which has a fantastic BeFit section of their website now with tons of popular, but older, work out DVD sessions. I used to use a gym in the past.. and truth be told, I loved it. I loved going there, popping onto some weight racks, running around the track upstairs, attending a class, swimming.. whatever I wanted, it was all there for me. But it isn't worth the price when a pool is free down the street, my weights cost 1 month's worth of membership to buy, gas is saved, equipment is spared (I don't need gym bags, small travel accessories, etc.), and time is saved. Sometimes I bring my nephews to keep me energetic while I am running/walking too.

But I want to hear from y'all. What tricks are you doing health wise (anything really) to save time and money?
I mostly foot the bill upfront. Meaning, if you want a gym membership (nice one), pay full all upfront 3-5 years worth, and you get a major discount the subsequent years.

Mine is about $7/month, and my pass is great for gyms with pools and saunas, steam room, dance room, nice machines, basketball, the whole works! Totally worth the money.

Days when you're not into driving to the gym? Blast up music and do your own rendition of Richard Simmons.

Try also coconut oil and add to your tea or coffee. Eat fat to burn fat. Cut carbs (or reduce), and you'll also find you'll maintain or lose the necessary weight (your body has a good way of configuring). Also, lecithin.

I like to combo- physical, non-physical (diet), and enjoying what I eat and do. Life's about balance. And, sometimes, if you want to take a walk in a scenic area or sunrise/sunset, be a little spontaneous! :)

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Running trails. Usually at least one can be found, and their free.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
BUMP b/c I need advice from thrifty healthy people.

I wear glasses. I don't own contacts. I have one pair of glasses (Warby Parker hornrims, which I love) and one pair of prescription sunglasses (fuckin Ray-Ban aviators, which were a huge financial mistake). The more I exercise outdoors, the more I realize that it would be ideal for me to own a pair of sunglasses that are well-suited to exercise. Maybe also regular glasses that are well-suited to exercise. Or something.

What do you all do? You folks who exercise outdoors and have bad eyesight? Is there a version of Warby Parker for outdoor stuff? Do you work out in your regular (sun)glasses? Do you wear contacts and cheap shades? I've never done the contact lens and it makes me wary.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
BUMP b/c I need advice from thrifty healthy people.

I wear glasses. I don't own contacts. I have one pair of glasses (Warby Parker hornrims, which I love) and one pair of prescription sunglasses (fuckin Ray-Ban aviators, which were a huge financial mistake). The more I exercise outdoors, the more I realize that it would be ideal for me to own a pair of sunglasses that are well-suited to exercise. Maybe also regular glasses that are well-suited to exercise. Or something.

What do you all do? You folks who exercise outdoors and have bad eyesight? Is there a version of Warby Parker for outdoor stuff? Do you work out in your regular (sun)glasses? Do you wear contacts and cheap shades? I've never done the contact lens and it makes me wary.

I just wear my prescription sunglasses that I bought like 10 yrs ago. They fit pretty snugly so they don't really bother me on runs, nor on long hiking trips (though usually a hat is a requirement also, else sun glare can be annoying). (however on cloudy days when I have gone on runs with my regular glasses I've noticed they're more annoying, as they don't fit as snugly.

It's possible ignorance is bliss, in that if I got 'proper' prescription exercise glasses I'd notice a big positive difference, but honestly it's never occurred to me until your question. :smile: