User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Default Can' t get fit...

So... I never was particularly thin. Most people in my family are big boned and plump, and so was I. It didn' t really bug me until recently, since beauty and attention of opposite sex never were my first priorities, but other reasons appeared for me to lose weight. Currently my weight is 79 kilos, and my height is 168 cm. My fattiness isn' t seen that much with my clothes on me, but there is one thing: I have large boobs and hips. I know, many other girls my age would like to have these, but not me. My mom also says that I should be proud of my boobs, but I hate them. To me it always seems uncomfortable( my breasts always rise every time I run, and it' s embarrassing) and disgusting. I' m only 17, I am a feminist, I try to look strong and confident, but I end up looking like some shy housewife( And that' s while being only 17! ) . There were certain events in my life that made me shy, but I can work it out myself, and I guess I' m succeeding at that. But with my weight, things aren' t that successful. I' ve been working out for about a month, but I haven' t achieved much. I' ve been doing different kinds of exercises, I did twice the norms of these exercises per day, I stopped eating sweets, I hardly ever eat bread, I don' t consume fatty meat at all, and eat red fish instead, I replaced all the fatty meals I usually eat for dinner with boiled rice or buckwheat, and yet I lost only about 3 kilos this month. This might already be a progress, but being the self - demanding perfectionist I am, I want to lose more.
    I can' t do any kinds of surgery, since I' m underage, surgery costs a lot, and in my country it' s quality isn' t always the best( I mean, there are bigger chances the surgery would be unsuccessful, and a list of horrible side effects might follow) .
    Any advice on reducing weight?

Quote Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
    So... I never was particularly thin. Most people in my family are big boned and plump, and so was I. It didn' t really bug me until recently, since beauty and attention of opposite sex never were my first priorities, but other reasons appeared for me to lose weight. Currently my weight is 79 kilos, and my height is 168 cm. My fattiness isn' t seen that much with my clothes on me, but there is one thing: I have large boobs and hips. I know, many other girls my age would like to have these, but not me. My mom also says that I should be proud of my boobs, but I hate them. To me it always seems uncomfortable( my breasts always rise every time I run, and it' s embarrassing) and disgusting. I' m only 17, I am a feminist, I try to look strong and confident, but I end up looking like some shy housewife( And that' s while being only 17! ) . There were certain events in my life that made me shy, but I can work it out myself, and I guess I' m succeeding at that. But with my weight, things aren' t that successful. I' ve been working out for about a month, but I haven' t achieved much. I' ve been doing different kinds of exercises, I did twice the norms of these exercises per day, I stopped eating sweets, I hardly ever eat bread, I don' t consume fatty meat at all, and eat red fish instead, I replaced all the fatty meals I usually eat for dinner with boiled rice or buckwheat, and yet I lost only about 3 kilos this month. This might already be a progress, but being the self - demanding perfectionist I am, I want to lose more.
    I can' t do any kinds of surgery, since I' m underage, surgery costs a lot, and in my country it' s quality isn' t always the best( I mean, there are bigger chances the surgery would be unsuccessful, and a list of horrible side effects might follow) .
    I have a negative perception of this whole feminism business... "I try to look strong and confident" -> How does this affect your interaction with men?

2-4 kilos a month is the suggested weight loss rate... Regulate your meal portions... Don't eat bread... Avoid oily\fatty food... Eat rice and macaroni or similar stuff in portions the size of your fist... Get protein from lean meat... Eat low fat dairy...

Eat almonds or fruits (in moderation) in between meals to keep the body from slowing down your metabolic rate (the body wants to conserve energry when hungry)...

Most of the weight loss process is about diet... exercise helps too... Do cardio 60% of the time in gym and strength training with free weights 40% of the time...

Have your thyroid and other hormone secreting organs checked for hormonal imbalance (thru blood testing)... Thyroid dysfunctions affect metabolism...

What are your goals? Do you want to be fit (healthy, strong body, well-trained cardiopulmonary and aerobic systems)? Or do you want to be skinny with small hips and breasts?

The former is definitely achievable with effort. It sounds like you on the right track, cutting out sweets, doing exercise and that sort of thing. Which exercises are you doing, if you don't mind sharing the details? If you have access to one, I'd def recommend talking to an athletic trainer. S/he will help you develop and progress a routine that will work towards your goals and target possible areas of weakness as well.

The latter is also related to training and diet, but there is also a genetic component. You are 17, so that means you are still growing into yourself and your new, mature body. I remember when I hit puberty and kinda felt betrayed, like this form I knew and had inhabited for years and years - had swung from trees in and sprinted across pavement barefooted in and completely carelessly un-self-conciously run around in a bathing suit in - had suddenly gone and changed on me and I didn't really even know who I was anymore. I couldn't do everything I used to, couldn't do 18 chin-ups anymore. Guys were looking at me differently. Girl classmates were looking at me differently. It took me awhile to feel at home and truly accept and even embrace it. And being involved in sports and other physical activities definitely played a huge role in that. In confidence and in body image, and it also did help me to trim out a little, didn't end up losing any actual weight, but it definitely developed more muscle compared to fat.

So at least a part of the goal is to accept your body's blueprint and try to optimize what God (or nature or whatever you believe in) has given you. Loving it, loving what it can do, taking good care of it, and being the healthiest, happiest version of yourself.

Oh god I'm getting so cheesy!

The other thing is, try not to be discouraged about feeling like you aren't making progress. You can expect to lose about ~5lb/2.5kg per month (if you are overweight), but probably losing more weight more quickly than that is both unhealthy and unreasonable. So, even if you aren't seeing pounds/kilos coming off as fast as you'd like, you are still making progress. Your body is getting stronger and healthier. And you should feel proud of yourself for making a choice to change your life and following through with that.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Quote Originally Posted by yeghor View Post
    I have a negative perception of this whole feminism business... "I try to look strong and confident" -> How does this affect your interaction with men?

Being confident and comfortable in yourself, regardless of gender, is part of the groundwork for a healthy relationship...
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

WhoCares

My advice to you Elaine is this....you're only 17 your hormones are gearing up at this time so weight loss is not going to be what your body is trying to do right now. Like you I came from a family that seemed on the heavier side with large hips and breasts (I'm an E cup) and I alays assumed this was my natural body type, especially looking at my family also. In my 20's I could not lose weight no matter what I tried, and I tried the lot, Body For Life workouts and diet, martial arts, intense cardio etc. i was in the gym religioiusly 6 days a week and still nothing. At that time I was 65kgs and a AU size 12. I'm only 5ft tall so that is quite heavy! My face was always puffy, round with no definition at a time most women look their best. It was depressing and I had looked like this since my late teens.

But two things happened for me....

1. I found out I am actually grain intolerant, despite being raised on a grain heavy diet. Intolerance means I dont get sick from eating grain but I constantly bloat and put on weight dispoportionate to my calorific intake.

2. Once I hit my thirties and stopped eating grain I lost a massive amount of weight in 12 weeks doing no other exercise than walking. Two things there, one was a hormone change in my body owing to passing the age of prime fertility. The other was i had stopped ingesting things which were causing a chronic allergic reaction (blowting and weight gain).

Fir the first time since I was 10 I became my normal natural weight, which is about 50kgs, size AU 6. I didnt lose any weight off my chest, I'm still an E cup even at that size but my hips are not naturally 100cm, they are acutally about 88cm. Of course I was thrilled to discover this. So even though you might think you are naturally hevy, it could be you just think you are becuse of how your family appear. My mother has always been dumpy as long as I've been alive but I did find a photo of her in her late teens looking extremely svelte, so dumpiness was not her natural figure either. So we can make assumptions that arent necessarily valid.

If you are heavy chested, as I am, I found that any kind of running\jumping cardio is just not worth doing. There is no bra on the planet that makes those activities pleasant. For my body I find a quick paced walk is the best cardio, and most enjoyable. Aside form that other exercise that works well for me is yoga, martial arts as these tend to be a combination of muscle training and light cardio. Once you attain your natural, healthy and fit body you will actually find comfort with your chest size as well. I always cursed my chest for making me look frumpy, but let me tell you, that chest on a petite hourglass frame looks anything but frumpy. And ironically, once I lost the puffiness in my face and got definition in my lower body, my chest looked a lot more proportional, not overly big at all. Most people are surprised whenI tell them I am an E cup as I look more like a healthy C or D.

WALMART

Keep at whatever's hard, I'm happy for you.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
    You only just start to see results after three to four weeks, so this is nothing to worry about. Just getting fitter will reduce your boob volume, that's generally the first place girls lose fat unfortunately. I hate to say it but a lot of this is discipline. Once you get through the first six weeks training will start to become routine, but you have to have the willpower to push through to that stage. I have bailed out a couple of times because I couldn't get a structure to a training program. My advice is going to be pretty ordinary...watch your calorie intake and alternate between cardio and resistance workouts. Be patient and the results will come.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

2-4 kilos a month is the suggested weight loss rate... Regulate your meal portions... Don't eat bread... Avoid oily\fatty food... Eat rice and macaroni or similar stuff in portions the size of your fist... Get protein from lean meat... Eat low fat dairy...

Eat almonds or fruits (in moderation) in between meals to keep the body from slowing down your metabolic rate (the body wants to conserve energry when hungry)...

Most of the weight loss process is about diet... exercise helps too... Do cardio 60% of the time in gym and strength training with free weights 40% of the time...

Have your thyroid and other hormone secreting organs checked for hormonal imbalance (thru blood testing)... Thyroid dysfunctions affect metabolism...

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    What are your goals? Do you want to be fit (healthy, strong body, well-trained cardiopulmonary and aerobic systems)? Or do you want to be skinny with small hips and breasts?

The former is definitely achievable with effort. It sounds like you on the right track, cutting out sweets, doing exercise and that sort of thing. Which exercises are you doing, if you don't mind sharing the details? If you have access to one, I'd def recommend talking to an athletic trainer. S/he will help you develop and progress a routine that will work towards your goals and target possible areas of weakness as well.

The latter is also related to training and diet, but there is also a genetic component. You are 17, so that means you are still growing into yourself and your new, mature body. I remember when I hit puberty and kinda felt betrayed, like this form I knew and had inhabited for years and years - had swung from trees in and sprinted across pavement barefooted in and completely carelessly un-self-conciously run around in a bathing suit in - had suddenly gone and changed on me and I didn't really even know who I was anymore. I couldn't do everything I used to, couldn't do 18 chin-ups anymore. Guys were looking at me differently. Girl classmates were looking at me differently. It took me awhile to feel at home and truly accept and even embrace it. And being involved in sports and other physical activities definitely played a huge role in that. In confidence and in body image, and it also did help me to trim out a little, didn't end up losing any actual weight, but it definitely developed more muscle compared to fat.

So at least a part of the goal is to accept your body's blueprint and try to optimize what God (or nature or whatever you believe in) has given you. Loving it, loving what it can do, taking good care of it, and being the healthiest, happiest version of yourself.

Oh god I'm getting so cheesy!

The other thing is, try not to be discouraged about feeling like you aren't making progress. You can expect to lose about ~5lb/2.5kg per month (if you are overweight), but probably losing more weight more quickly than that is both unhealthy and unreasonable. So, even if you aren't seeing pounds/kilos coming off as fast as you'd like, you are still making progress. Your body is getting stronger and healthier. And you should feel proud of yourself for making a choice to change your life and following through with that.
    Me getting fit doesn' t change my interaction with men at all. I never put romantic relationships as my goal, and I already once fell in love, but it was horrible for me, so I don' t want to do that again. Creating a family isn' t in my plans either. I am working to get fit for myself, so I wouldn' t be embarrassed when I look at myself in the mirror in the bathroom or when I go swimming to the beach in summer and people are watching me. I don' t want to be ashamed of myself. I want to love my body, so I must sculpt it so that it can be loved by myself. Being fatty damages my confidence, so it' s a problem. If it' s a problem for me, it should be solved.
    Like I said, I don' t eat oily/ fatty food at all right now. And as for bread, I only eat rye bread, and only with red fish.
    I want to both get fit and lose my breasts and hips.
    Like I said, in order to love my body, I should make it likeable first. Because I am a demanding person, and besides, the fat makes me uncomfortable. How can I love something that is uncomfortable for me?
    Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    Keep at whatever's hard, I'm happy for you.
    I' m sorry, but I didn' t uderstand what you were trying to say.

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post

Being confident and comfortable in yourself, regardless of gender, is part of the groundwork for a healthy relationship...
    I was wondering how feminism played into all that (or dieting or self image) since she mentioned that...? Do women need to be a feminist to be confident and comfortable? What's the correlation?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I was wondering how feminism played into all that (or dieting or self image) since she mentioned that...? Do women need to be a feminist to be confident and comfortable? What's the correlation?
    Nope. I just also don' t like to look conventionally girly. That' s also one of the reasons I dislike my boobs. I' m not a lesbian, though. I just have a different image of what is beautiful.