• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

bike helmets for adults

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Yep.

Giro-helmet-hi.jpg

BridgeCable

MBTI Type
INTJ
helmets...not just for special people anymore.......

wow i just glanced through this thread but that is one badass helmet you got there sir! I ride an average of 10 miles a day and dont wear a helmet, i feel kinda bad but i have so much hair that helmets don't fit...also helmets, besides the one i just laid eyes upon^^(awesome) are lame, for special needs people and while i am not big into fashion and style it is a submission to fear of crashing and i cant deal with the shame, perhaps if i had a helmet like that though... I would also wear a helmet that had viking horns, or a samurai bike helmet

Usehername

On a mission
I work at a bike shop; I ride with a helmet. One of my co-workers over the weekend shattered his helmet into 6 pieces riding on the highway due to a poor car driver forcing him into a bad situation.

Important note: If you use a one-time use helmet (i.e. the typical cycling helmet as pictured above with the Giro Ionos and MET lids) you need to replace it every few years. As soon as you first sweat into it, it begins to erode the fibres of the helmet. One of the sales guys put his foot through a 5 year old helmet to show how weak it would be after riding that long, and it crumbled like styrofoam underneath his foot, puffs of material floating into the air. Alternatively, a brand-new Giro Atmos helmet was (purposefully) driven over with an SUV earlier this summer and it simply crushed properly and absorbed the impact.

Things to think about.

Usehername

On a mission
wow i just glanced through this thread but that is one badass helmet you got there sir! I ride an average of 10 miles a day and dont wear a helmet, i feel kinda bad but i have so much hair that helmets don't fit...also helmets, besides the one i just laid eyes upon^^(awesome) are lame, for special needs people and while i am not big into fashion and style it is a submission to fear of crashing and i cant deal with the shame, perhaps if i had a helmet like that though... I would also wear a helmet that had viking horns, or a samurai bike helmet

I'd bet you serious cash that the helmet pictured above, as well as Giro's more entry level helmets (Indicator, rift, which is what I ride with with my thick long hair) will fit. That's an outdated excuse. If by some chance that doesn't fit you (although I'm sure it WILL) you need their Titan helmet, which is made for oversized heads. Helmets such as these have an internal mechanism that you clock down to fit your head properly, and as such, the neck strap isn't nearly as important (though it does need to be done up and ideally no more than 2 finger spaces from your chin).

Benefits of one-time-use helmets: They can absorb more of the impact, increasing the time that the crash exists in (like a car bumper) and are thus safer at higher speeds because less damage goes to your head. They also have more air venting as you go up in price and get a bit lighter. The Giro Rift is the first helmet with a removable visor, which is a nice feature for roadies who ride an agressive position and don't want one more thing to look up past to strain their necks further. Brands like Giro, Bell, MET, etc. are all equally safe, the only price difference is weight and venting and helmet sexiness.

Benefits of multiple-impact helmets: (the skater/BMX/etc. style of helmet i.e. Nutcase) good for multiple impacts. It is heavy to ride with for any longer distance, and has next to no venting, so you'll arrive at your destination with wet hair from all your sweating if you use this to commute across the city.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
The benefits of a hugely expensive helmet like the Giro Atmos or Ionos are across the board. I have two Atmos myself. They weigh almost nothing and let air flow over your head to remove heat. If you're a serious rider, no matter if you're slow as a pig, I highly recommend them. And they're only about a hundred bux. A top level road racing bike is over five grand.