• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

bike helmets for adults

Sling

MBTI Type
N358
Sorry to put a stick in your spoke, but screw all you cyclist commuters. You assholes think you can ride around, saving gas money, totally vulnerable to cars, and we upstanding folks with combustion based vehicles(you know, the people who the traffic system was designed for) are obligated to look out for your well being, because it's considered "vehicular manslaughter" to run one of you pricks over, accidental or otherwise.

Why the hell do you think I bought a tank? I bought it so I didn't have to pay attention on to minor potential collision objects such as yourselves. You'll make an easily avoided piece of roadkill with those neon-safety form fitting nylon short shorts.

So you sit there with your smug little faces with your helmet under your armpit, "While you were wasting money and supporting terrorism, I was boosting my health and helping the environment." Well while you were enjoying the ride over, I was already there, fucking your soon to be ex-girlfriend on my passenger seat.

I want to hear the thud of your noggin against my bumper as you're pulled under.

To feel the satisfying squish of flesh under rubber.

To look in my rear-view mirror and see an enflamed bicycle tire bouncing along a blood spattered pavement.

To pry out chunks of twisted metal and bone from under my chassis as I laugh.

I want to give you a real reason to wear that helmet every day.

PENNY4747474.JPG

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I just bought a bike to save on the petrol costs and the missus started nagging about the ol skid lid before I'd even picked one out. Normally I'd just make a gesture of non compliance and disregard this but I figured for 20 quid why not... if it's terrible then I'll bin it. I found out that although I had to mail order mine (they don't stock my size in the shops) it's quite nice and much better to ride in than a baseball cap.

Anyhow, I wouldn't call them essential necessarily but I did hear about one guy who was pelting along and decided to take a short cut under a roadside sign only to catch the bottom of it. Now if he'd had a lid then he'd be knocked silly but this guy was knocked out cold and had a nice trickle of blood down his head.

It's the same thing as all safety measures, sure they're not necessary and I'm sure that no one here is enough of an idiot to need one but one day it won't run according to plan, one day you will be half asleep... maybe one day you'll really need it. Who'd be the idiot then if you didn't wear it?

Would sir rather be a cucumber or a lettuce?

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
Sorry to put a stick in your spoke, but screw all you cyclist commuters. You assholes think you can ride around, saving gas money, totally vulnerable to cars, and we upstanding folks with combustion based vehicles(you know, the people who the traffic system was designed for) are obligated to look out for your well being, because it's considered "vehicular manslaughter" to run one of you pricks over, accidental or otherwise.

Why the hell do you think I bought a tank? I bought it so I didn't have to pay attention on to minor potential collision objects such as yourselves. You'll make an easily avoided piece of roadkill with those neon-safety form fitting nylon short shorts.

So you sit there with your smug little faces with your helmet under your armpit, "While you were wasting money and supporting terrorism, I was boosting my health and helping the environment." Well while you were enjoying the ride over, I was already there, fucking your soon to be ex-girlfriend on my passenger seat.

I want to hear the thud of your noggin against my bumper as you're pulled under.

To feel the satisfying squish of flesh under rubber.

To look in my rear-view mirror and see an enflamed bicycle tire bouncing along a blood spattered pavement.

To pry out chunks of twisted metal and bone from under my chassis as I laugh.

I want to give you a real reason to wear that helmet every day.

PENNY4747474.JPG

I strongly encourage you to do this. When you get out of jail, I'd like to find you and bust your head open with a bat.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I strongly encourage you to do this. When you get out of jail, I'd like to find you and bust your head open with a bat.
I'd say that I agree to some degree. However there are the occasional cyclist who seems to think that because the car driver will get prosecuted as standard that this gives them the right to ride like airheads. Similar to the mothers who seem to think they can use a pushchair to stop traffic and then yell at anyone who doesn't immediately slam the anchors on (remembering that here there's none of this jay walking nonsense).

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
the car driver will get prosecuted as standard

Not true. A friend once got a ticket after being hit by a car, because he was on the sidewalk instead of the road.

I still ride on the sidewalk, though. I figure there's less chance of getting killed, even if it's illegal.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Not true. A friend once got a ticket after being hit by a car, because he was on the sidewalk instead of the road.

I still ride on the sidewalk, though. I figure there's less chance of getting killed, even if it's illegal.
After having witnessed what passes for driving your side of the pond, you have my sincere sympathies. I think I'd wear bubble wrap if I cycled over there... oh and neon lighting... with sandpaper on the outside of the bubblewrap just to make sure I did the maximum damage to anyone that ignored the lights.

I'm sure Ray Charles could get a license over there with minimum fuss.

alicia91

I think it's a good idea but I wouldn't want it legislated. The reason being that I don't want to be told how to stay safe on my skateboard, rollerskates, ice-skates, razor scooter, skiis, sled.................

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
Personally, I think adult bike helmets are a good idea, and I wear one when I'm mountain biking or in traffic. I don't wear it when biking on trails (that aren't next to roads) or when cruising around the lightly traveled residential area around me.

However, I am 100% against legislation mandating it. If someone doesn't want to wear one and feels like taking those risks (as I do at times), its fine with me.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I like to think of my brain as one of my more valuable assets...

Works

MBTI Type
INTP
I like to think of my brain as one of my more valuable assets...

Agreed. I rely on my brains for my livelihood. Arms and legs I could do without if push comes to dismemberment, but the brain has got to stay.

Sling

MBTI Type
N358
Agreed. I rely on my brains for my livelihood. Arms and legs I could do without if push comes to dismemberment, but the brain has got to stay.

I wouldn't mind totaly brain debridement, as long as my consciousness stayed in my brain.

I wouldn't mind being a floating brain.

I'd hover about, issuing orders, smearing brain juice on freshly cleaned windows. Possibly disguise myself in the grocery store meat department and talk to passers-by.

hmm...

Then I would come home, and I'd need a vat of brain fluid.

The government would try to retrain all of their animal control people to be able to catch me with conventional tools.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I'd say that I agree to some degree. However there are the occasional cyclist who seems to think that because the car driver will get prosecuted as standard that this gives them the right to ride like airheads. Similar to the mothers who seem to think they can use a pushchair to stop traffic and then yell at anyone who doesn't immediately slam the anchors on (remembering that here there's none of this jay walking nonsense).
Where I live, the justice system seems grossly in favor of car owners vs cyclists, and the settlements for minor injuries caused by car drivers are ridiculous. One low-speed accident entirely at car driver's fault was estimated at what, few hundred euros. He got away with bruises and some abrasions (wounds, don't got a better word), with few days away from work.

This is a reason why I've actually planned to carry a sledge hammer in my oversized backbag - to hold immediate field street court sessions - and to execute the punishment to the said vehicle after rulings of said court.

My eyes actually gleamed over when I saw that 10-pound hammer with a 2 3-feet shaft in the local hardware store.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Where I live, the justice system seems grossly in favor of car owners vs cyclists, and the settlements for minor injuries caused by car drivers are ridiculous. One low-speed accident entirely at car driver's fault was estimated at what, few hundred euros. He got away with bruises and some abrasions (wounds, don't got a better word), with few days away from work.

This is a reason why I've actually planned to carry a sledge hammer in my oversized backbag - to hold immediate field street court sessions - and to execute the punishment to the said vehicle after rulings of said court.

My eyes actually gleamed over when I saw that 10-pound hammer with a 2 3-feet shaft in the local hardware store.
Dude... get with the century. You could get one of those mercury bats... much lighter but with a similar impact. I mean... a hammer...jeez... you want a pickaxe or just an axe. How are you going to get a hammer through a sports cars grill? I mean.. come on... forward planning... hello...

;)

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Eh? I'm more along the lines of my arms and legs can be put in a cast. Most everything else can heal when broken just fine - the brain can't... :(

oasispaw

MBTI Type
isfj
I wouldn't mind totaly brain debridement, as long as my consciousness stayed in my brain.

I wouldn't mind being a floating brain.

I'd hover about, issuing orders, smearing brain juice on freshly cleaned windows. Possibly disguise myself in the grocery store meat department and talk to passers-by.

hmm...

Then I would come home, and I'd need a vat of brain fluid.

The government would try to retrain all of their animal control people to be able to catch me with conventional tools.

you could be like krang and get a bike helmet for the robot whose belly you reside in.

then shredder and rock steady and be bop would come over and, well, it would just be awesome.

oasispaw

MBTI Type
isfj

i worked with a dude who carried a hammer when he rode downtown and would break the lights of drivers who threatened him.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Forgive but a cursory glance at this thread. Apparently you are talking about bicycle helmets.

Here in MN there has been a long-standing debate about motorcycle helmets. which I can say a few words about. The issues remain similar.

I'll preface this with the fact that I have a friend who lost her nineteen-year old son when he hit a curb, fell off his bicycle and struck his head on the cement. He was traveling at a slow speed and so it was a bizarre quirk of fate. Tragic.

My husband and I have both ridden motorycles since the '70s and for some time he was politically active in ABATE, American Bikers Aimed Toward Education.

So both sides of the issue are clear to me and there are valid arguments on both sides.

We also have acquaintances whose lives have been permanently altered by accidents both while wearing helmets and not. Chosing to put yourself out there with cars on either motorized or unmotorized vehicles is a risky choice. While not all automobile owners are aware of that fact in a personal manner, every biker knows it only too well.

My personal preference is all I can offer. I own a helmet but wear it only where required by law or in inclement weather. I feel stifled by it and think it interferes with hearing vehicles approaching me from the rear. It also muffles the sound of my engine which I feel a need to hear to operate my bike well.

I understand that helmets can be purchased which don't cover the ears. Many wear the full-head ones because they like protection from the wind, however.

There is the stance of social obligation should one have a life-threatening accident which requires financial support from insurance or Medicare. So some think one is being socially irresponsible if they choose to not wear a helmet and leave the consequences for society to take care of.

Another viewpoint considers the egg-shell quality of even the best engineered helmet at speeds higher than thirty-five miles per hour.

Another thought is that many riders who survive accidents while wearing a helmet suffer from the helmet damaging the neck area and causing paralysis leaving the victim alive but unable to move.

I've heard more than one biker say fatalistically that he'd rather die flat out than survive severely disabled.

Of course, ultimately no manner of precaution will protect us from a convergence of quirks in the weave of fate. So my thought is the government needs to tend to more pressing issues than whether I wear a helmet or not.

Let them spend our tax money on education for all who take to the road on two wheels, learn the safest possible way to enjoy their rides and take their chances.

*Sits back and waits for the Toilet Police.*