User Tag List

First 1234 Last

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Nay.

If you want to then by all means do, if you don't want to well, then, you have every right to put the safety of your head at risk.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INTP

Bike helmets are mandatory where I live.

I'm pro-helmets. I'd have a few less friends without them. I've seen their helmets after their crashes - they would either have been killed or ended up with brain damage without them. Some of their crashes were on roads, some were on tracks in the forest.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by aeon View Post
    Absolutely and without fail, a helmet when riding, yes.
    To be clear, when I said this I meant what I value in terms of what I would choose for myself.

I wish all people to be safe and well when riding bicycles - but as it concerns a helmet when riding, may they choose in accordance with their own values as it concerns their persons.

I do not value the use of law, coercion, or force to make them wear a helmet.

cheers,
    Ian

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

They aren't mandatory here if you're over 18.

I never wear mine anymore (I think I lost it actually). I really should buy a helmet though, I know it's terrible not to wear one and I feel like a moron every time I think of it. I've never been in a crash but I guess the first time might be the fatal one.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I didn't think bikes wore helmets.

(Okay, that was a bad joke.)

I think all helmets are stupid.

The difference between riding a bike wearing or not wearing a helmet is said to be merely the difference between an open or closed casket.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

said by whom?
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    said by whom?
    I think I read an article one time that wearing a helmet ultimately doesn't make a difference...although this was mostly referring to motorcycle riders.

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I think I read an article one time that wearing a helmet ultimately doesn't make a difference...although this was mostly referring to motorcycle riders.
    Um, everything I've seen (and was presented in my MSF course) certainly indicated that motorcycle helmets are flat-out life savers. There is a limit, however, to how much it can help you with a motorcycle--if you hit a concrete wall at 100MPH, for instance, helmet or not you're fucked.

I've also read reasonable testimony to the effectiveness of motorcycle gear (specially-padded/fabric'd jackets, gloves, boots & pants) in a crash.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    INTP

Yeah, I realize that my noggin could get bumped, but most of the time I don't bother wearing the brain bucket. Occasionally I'll remember, but not wearing it has become a habit.

MBTI
    INTJ

They've been compulsory down here for a long time. I used to commute using a bicycle and do long distance touring.

I got concussion once when I was run off the road by a car side-swiping me when I was riding to University. I ended up with numerous lumps/bruises/grazes. But the only permanent thing has been tinnitus (very mild ringing in ears) long term. The old fashioned little padded leather straps "cyclist helmet" I wore saved me quite a bit of surface injury. Yet I've got this constant little reminder of my misadventure.

Dying isn't the issue for me, the bigger worry would be brain damage that impacted my ability to live independently. Then it becomes a cost to the community or your family (or worse, you are stuck without either!) I've seen enough of that with a few people I went to school with who injured themselves horse riding/cycling/skateboarding.

Also I used to ride a motorbike and through my club we used to visit injured motorbikers - sometimes the only thing unbruised/broken was their heads (that were in helmets).