• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Little things to munch on.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am in a situation that I go through large amounts of the day unable to eat food because I am practically in my classes (back to back) from 9-5 and study sessions where I need to eat something besides drinking soda. I am not able to stomache the amount of calories I need a day in one sitting. I'm looking to add about 2500 calories, all of things that I can munch on easily without making a mess, is calorie dense, not so empty in nutrients, and can last throughout the day is a huge plus. I want it so that I can prepackage the contents myself so that I can do them all in one night and set it aside for when I need them the next day. In any case, it would probably be cheaper than starving at the end of the day to buy food each day, and at least somewhat healthier.

I've looked at adding about 2 cups of almonds a day, a protein shake of some sort (not sure if making my own or buying premade ones would be better/easier), and one granola bar. That is an awful lot of nuts and milk. Not exactly variable enough for other nutrients (but I already take vitamins)....but ehh a shitload of monofat, potassium, and dietary fiber, somewhere around 50g of protein in almonds, 20g of protein in the shake, and probably around 20g for the granola bars.

What are some alternatives that you guys have come up with to munch? Or rather, what have you guys been doing to munch throughout the day?

The almonds is about 1360 calories total
The milkshake I am trying to look for is around 250 calories
And I am trying to find a granola bar that is 250 calories also.
I am still short on my target.

If the granola bar is more expensive compared to the almonds, I am thinking of just adding another cup of almonds to my serving. Eat about a cup before classes start, eat a cup between my short breaks between classes, and eat another cup by the end of the day along with eating my regularly scheduled dinner. Excluding the dinner, that comes to around 2290. With dinner, I am hoping that I can squeeze in at least 2500 calories.

OrderOfTheCaelifera

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I am in a situation that I go through large amounts of the day unable to eat food because I am practically in my classes (back to back) from 9-5 and study sessions where I need to eat something besides drinking soda. I am not able to stomach the amount of calories I need a day in one sitting.
What are some alternatives that you guys have come up with to munch? Or rather, what have you guys been doing to munch throughout the day?

I switched to using soy milk with cereal in the morning.
I mix my own trail mix in a 5 gallon bucket, it lasts all week & it's easy to scoop a days supply into a ziplock bag each morning.

Typical trail mix ingredients:
Pistachio kernels, cashew pieces, almonds, macadamia nuts & sunflower kernels.
Dried cherries, apricots, pineapple chunks & raisins.
Dark chocolate chips & M&Ms.

Clif bars are good too.

S

Stansmith

I usually get an apple or a Reese's Cups. A bottle of water or two also. I'm only taking 2 classes this semester though with an hour-long break in-between, so I don't need much.

gromit

likes this
Fruit - dried or fresh
Cheese cubes or string cheese
Seeds like sunflower or pumpkin seeds
Veggies and hummus (are you eating veg at other times of day?)
Apple + peanut butter or apple + cheese

A simple and tasty and nutritious smoothie involves rolled or quick oats, peanut butter, cocoa powder, one banana, and enough milk to make it blend together. Ice optional. You can also add some protein powder if you have some.

Permabanned

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Fruit - dried or fresh
Cheese cubes or string cheese
Seeds like sunflower or pumpkin seeds
Veggies and hummus (are you eating veg at other times of day?)
Apple + peanut butter or apple + cheese

A simple and tasty and nutritious smoothie involves rolled or quick oats, peanut butter, cocoa powder, one banana, and enough milk to make it blend together. Ice optional. You can also add some protein powder if you have some.

I try to eat veggies and fruit, but it is probably not enough for a day on one sitting. I do eat the occasional banana, apples, oranges. Basically, berry and citrus are my favorite fruits.

I was taught to make a fruit smoothie by adding frozen berries, ice, spinach, and a choice of my favorite citrus juice and adding whatever else I think would sound good.

Almonds will probably be my go to when it comes to nuts and seeds, it's probably more than enough needed willpower for me to eat almonds XD let alone others. I've already went through 3+ hours trying to finish a cup of almonds.

Dipping vegetables in hummus sounds good, can probably buy celery and carrot sticks to go with it.

I switched to using soy milk with cereal in the morning.
I mix my own trail mix in a 5 gallon bucket, it lasts all week & it's easy to scoop a days supply into a ziplock bag each morning.

Typical trail mix ingredients:
Pistachio kernels, cashew pieces, almonds, macadamia nuts & sunflower kernels.
Dried cherries, apricots, pineapple chunks & raisins.
Dark chocolate chips & M&Ms.

Clif bars are good too.

Nice suggestion, although it might just end up being almonds and dried fruits. Strangely enough, I did buy the mint clif bars along with the almonds. So I'll be eating the clif bars when I am not eating the almonds.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A few quick follow-up questions + some generic ideas that apply RE of the answers to your follow-up questions:

FOLLOW-UP QUESTIONS:
(1) What is your height and weight?
(2) What is your body type? (ectomorph, mesomorph, endomorph)
(3) Do you have a slow, normal, or fast metabolism?
(4) What is your level of activity with regard to physical exercise (whether it is athletic, or not, it doesn't matter, or you of normal physical activity, dormant, or significantly active?)
(5) Besides sustenance - do you have a goal with regard to your physiological development? If so, what is it?

GENERIC IDEAS for THINGS to EAT:

(A) With regard to preparing your meals in advance, it's a lot easier to cook up a bunch of stuff on a Saturday/Sunday for the coming week - than to cook up one day of food in advance at a time.

(B) Eggs are inexpensive, versatile, yummy, and portable - e.g hard boiled eggs + salt & pepper, de-shell them at home + salt & pepper/Mrs. Dash in a small Ziploc bag = VOILA! :popc1:

(C) Potatoes are inexpensive, versatile, yummy and portable - e.g. Bake a bunch up in tin foil, let them cool, cut in half, add some shredded cheese (bacon is AWSM too) and salt & pepper - put back together, wrap back up in foil, refrigerate - take one with you per day with your bag of hard boiled eggs.

(D) When chicken is on sale, buy the fuck out of it - marinate in generic teriyaki marinade in a Ziploc bag for 4-5 hours, then grill, broil, or pan fry them until done - cut them up into pieces, bag up one serving per Ziploc bag, take with you each day as needed.

(E) Long grain wild rice/or Natural brown rice is inexpensive and yummy. Cook up a pot with some chicken or vegetable bouillion cubes and some butter or Smart Balance. Ground Turkey is inexpensive and yummy cook up a few pounds, drain off excess fat/fluid. Frozen mixed vegetables of all kinds are inexpensive and yummy. Cook them up. Mix the RICE, TURKEY, and VEGGIES up in proportions that are appropriate for your nutritional goals. (I call this "Human Chow" - LOL!) :laugh: - separate each serving into a Ziploc bag, refrigerate.

*All of the foods above can be kept cold easily in a thermal bag; if you leave your place in the morning, you can eat off these items for much of the day. If you are not picky (as I am) then you don't really need to heat this stuff when you're hungry, especially if you pull it out of the thermal bag prior to when you wish to eat it, and let a given item warm up a bit from atmospheric temperature.

:solidarity:

-Halla74

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A few quick follow-up questions + some generic ideas that apply RE of the answers to your follow-up questions:

FOLLOW-UP QUESTIONS:
(1) What is your height and weight?
(2) What is your body type? (ectomorph, mesomorph, endomorph)
(3) Do you have a slow, normal, or fast metabolism?
(4) What is your level of activity with regard to physical exercise (whether it is athletic, or not, it doesn't matter, or you of normal physical activity, dormant, or significantly active?)
(5) Besides sustenance - do you have a goal with regard to your physiological development? If so, what is it?

GENERIC IDEAS for THINGS to EAT:

(A) With regard to preparing your meals in advance, it's a lot easier to cook up a bunch of stuff on a Saturday/Sunday for the coming week - than to cook up one day of food in advance at a time.

(B) Eggs are inexpensive, versatile, yummy, and portable - e.g hard boiled eggs + salt & pepper, de-shell them at home + salt & pepper/Mrs. Dash in a small Ziploc bag = VOILA! :popc1:

(C) Potatoes are inexpensive, versatile, yummy and portable - e.g. Bake a bunch up in tin foil, let them cool, cut in half, add some shredded cheese (bacon is AWSM too) and salt & pepper - put back together, wrap back up in foil, refrigerate - take one with you per day with your bag of hard boiled eggs.

(D) When chicken is on sale, buy the fuck out of it - marinate in generic teriyaki marinade in a Ziploc bag for 4-5 hours, then grill, broil, or pan fry them until done - cut them up into pieces, bag up one serving per Ziploc bag, take with you each day as needed.

(E) Long grain wild rice/or Natural brown rice is inexpensive and yummy. Cook up a pot with some chicken or vegetable bouillion cubes and some butter or Smart Balance. Ground Turkey is inexpensive and yummy cook up a few pounds, drain off excess fat/fluid. Frozen mixed vegetables of all kinds are inexpensive and yummy. Cook them up. Mix the RICE, TURKEY, and VEGGIES up in proportions that are appropriate for your nutritional goals. (I call this "Human Chow" - LOL!) :laugh: - separate each serving into a Ziploc bag, refrigerate.

*All of the foods above can be kept cold easily in a thermal bag; if you leave your place in the morning, you can eat off these items for much of the day. If you are not picky (as I am) then you don't really need to heat this stuff when you're hungry, especially if you pull it out of the thermal bag prior to when you wish to eat it, and let a given item warm up a bit from atmospheric temperature.

:solidarity:

-Halla74

1) close to 6ft, ummmmmm VERY low :(, I'm surprised I've kept the 5 lbs I've made in recent months. Let's say I am underweight.

2) can very easily fit ectomorph

3) I think you can consider it fast. History of eating whatever I want and it probably won't affect my weight much unless I make sure I am full every hour of the day. That, or I am just a person who don't eat big. While I was on some weight gainers, I must have gotten somewhere between 2000-2500 calories a day to get my weight around the 140's. So that is the reason why I am breaking things in tiny chunks and trying to add as many calories that contain some bit of nutrition by munching on things like almonds and trying to make it a common practice. But 3 cups of almonds is excessive.

4) Seems "normal" right now because I've been training my posture with a dowel, probably could do some cardio.

5) Short term is gain weight, long term is to keep that weight and add muscle through compounded exercises. Haven't update for a long while, but want to be able to do deadlifts/squats/dips/pullups/push-ups, those sort of compound exercises.

a) How long do peeled hard-boiled eggs last and is there a way to lengthen them? I once created a quinoa salad with eggs, tomato, spinach, quinoa, and lettuce with boiled potatoes as a side..... But the procedure for me was to prepare them the day before.

b) yes, I can stomach boiled eggs and eat them easily.

c) There is probably a major difference between boiling the potatoes a day before and baking the potatoes a day before. Potatoes tend to get harder to eat when left in the fridge.

d) I do eat chicken, but it has to be prepared in certain ways for me to really like eating them. I will probably pan-fry them

e) I eat rice every day of the week because a big bag of raw rice can last for months. :D

I will take the boiled and potato advice. Does the potato ever get hard when you put them in the fridge? I might try to make the rice with more of a mirepoix taste by adding carrots, onions and celery along with it because it sounds good. :D