• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you work out/devote a lot of time to your appearance? If so, why?

Why do you put so much effort into your appearance

• You want to attract members of the opposite sex

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Social prestige/ you want to be socially popular

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • For health reasons

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • Because you work a job that requires you to

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • I just work out because I enjoy playing sports

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Other

Votes: 16 30.8%

• Total voters

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Thats actually no cliche, its what 2 Million Jews read before entering Ausschwitz

I meant it only in regards to the choice of whether or not an individual wants works out or not.

wolfy

awsm
All of the reasons. I just train because it has become a part of who I am. My original reason was to be strong.

Sunny Ghost

I want to be strong, healthy, sexy, and youthful.
Also, I find running to be meditative. It makes me feel good.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
People that knock those that workout are lazy and
and insecure.

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
People who don't do it, don't diss people who do.
People who do it should just do it quietly, don't take photos of yourself flexing or telling people on facebook you're going to the gym/ how great you feel after you leave the gym.
Because at the end of the day, it might the guy who eats organic food, doesn't smoke, doesn't drink, works out 5 days a week that dies from a heart attack, while the guy who works in a paper factory, drinks every other day and eats greasy food outlives you. I witnessed such irony.

I admire people who devotes their time to being active. But if you treat yourself with "diet" cokes and grocery shop mainly at the frozen, canned and deli sections (in your workout clothes, to make it more amusing), then the causes for your workout will not justify.

wolfy

awsm
People who do it should just do it quietly, don't take photos of yourself flexing or telling people on facebook you're going to the gym/ how great you feel after you leave the gym.

I don't see why not. People commenting on what should and should not be put on facebook amuses me. That being said, too much of the same kind of updates gets tedious. Be it, gym, babies or food.

My legs are really sore from all the training this week. Good sore.

lol

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't see why not. People commenting on what should and should not be put on facebook amuses me. That being said, too much of the same kind of updates gets tedious. Be it, gym, babies or food.

My legs are really sore from all the training this week. Good sore.

lol

People decide whatever they want to do, of course. Gym, babies, food, boys, girls, music, movies, quotes, etc., not anything I'd share on facebook, instagram or anywhere else that's digital, I just don't use those interfaces anymore.
It always a question to me that what people really seek when they post these stuff on facebook? Validation? Interpersonalization? Ego boosts? Acceptance? None appeals to me, so I don't quite understand why people can't just keep these things to themselves and among the people who truly care or are involved. Nevertheless, people are different.

wolfy

awsm
It always a question to me that what people really seek when they post these stuff on facebook? Validation? Interpersonalization? Ego boosts? Acceptance? None appeals to me, so I don't quite understand why people can't just keep these things to themselves. Nevertheless, people are different.

Yeah, that is an interesting aspect of it. I enjoy sharing things mostly for amusement. I also like that I get to be creative with it in a way that I have full control. My wife shares your perspective. I think for most people it is just as simple as "Hey, look at this, listen to this" the same way you would do with friends face to face.

wolfy

awsm
I can't vote because I have multiple reasons. I work in a gym, I want to be healthy. I want to be as strong as possible. I want to look good (within the confines of my DNA)

Noll

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
People decide whatever they want to do, of course.
Nevertheless, people are different.
There you go. You sharing information about your fetishes is no different, and no one should have a problem with that. I'm not into social networking, but people who are are just having fun sharing their sugarcoated information to the rest of the world. Everyone wants to be loved one way or the other, no? Who could blame them for that? Perhaps someone who is full of hate.

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There you go. You sharing information about your fetishes is no different, and no one should have a problem with that. I'm not into social networking, but people who are are just having fun sharing their sugarcoated information to the rest of the world. Everyone wants to be loved one way or the other, no? Who could blame them for that? Perhaps someone who is full of hate.

Right.
Even though "to be loved" is not always the main motivation behind "sharing information", not always.
Surely when I shared my "fetishes", I shared that information as an answer to somebody who asked specifically about such information.
Hate? Lol It's such a strong word for such a petty matter.

Noll

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Right.
Even though "to be loved" is not always the main motivation behind "sharing information", not always.
Alright, it is an attempt at connecting to people around you for good or for bad.

Comeback Girl

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh dear, honestly my appearance is everything to me. I even decided not to go to a high school reunion just, because I had a rash and I wanted the people I went to high school with to be like 'whoaa Comeback Girl got hot' (because I lost 50 lbs, they all got fat, I disliked all of them and I wanted them to feel really bad about themselves) and I just couldn't do that if I didn't look 100% perfect.

Oh well, here are my reasons why I put a lot of effort in my looks:
  1. I don't want to be fat, because I used to be fat, which makes me the perfect person to criticize fat people, and gaining weight again would make me a total hypocrite.
  2. I can wear anything, as long as I weigh 110 lbs.
  3. A beautiful personality can compensate being ugly on the outside. In my case it's the other way round: I know I'm ugly on the inside, so I have to be beautiful on the outside.
  4. I have a very thin face and I had my bangs cut, so my face would look fuller and people would stop complaining about me being too skinny. This worked very well and now I'm even popular on Tinder, which I didn't use to be. Being popular on Tinder is a great ego boost when everything else in life sucks.
  5. Yesterday someone asked me what I want to be remembered for when I'm dead. I'm afraid I had to answer that I didn't give a damn if people thought I was likable, clever or whatsoever, as long as I thought I wasn't ugly or boring. Yes, I am superficial.
  6. I feel terrible whenever I find out someone took a picture of me on which I don't look pretty. It can ruin my week.
  7. I've always looked down upon people who didn't try the best they could to be attractive, even when I was fat.
  8. Did I mention I'm superficial?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
[*]I can wear anything, as long as I weigh 110 lbs.

Amazing how different worlds can be. At 110 lbs no one would have called me attractive where I came from--they'd shy away from me, assuming I would have an eating disorder of some sort. For you, 110 lbs is the weight you seem to gain the most attention from..

Even now, I am at around 125lbs, and people are starting to show subtle signs of worry and encouraging me to eat, and I am a little self conscious of my physique. It's a temporary thing, and I have no intentions of staying at 125.. In last August I aim to address that by attempting to build muscle to gain the 10 lbs back that I desire to have. It's an experiment I'm conducting to see if I must be in the 120 range to be strong or if I can press past that barrier. But people worry none-the-less. I tend to wear baggy clothing which helps hide some of it.

[*]I've always looked down upon people who didn't try the best they could to be attractive, even when I was fat.

:laugh: I think I could be okay with you looking down on me for that.. I still get along with people that really hate how unattractive I make myself out to be.

Comeback Girl

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Amazing how different worlds can be. At 110 lbs no one would have called me attractive where I came from--they'd shy away from me, assuming I would have an eating disorder of some sort. For you, 110 lbs is the weight you seem to gain the most attention from..

Even now, I am at around 125lbs, and people are starting to show subtle signs of worry and encouraging me to eat, and I am a little self conscious of my physique. It's a temporary thing, and I have no intentions of staying at 125.. In last August I aim to address that by attempting to build muscle to gain the 10 lbs back that I desire to have. It's an experiment I'm conducting to see if I must be in the 120 range to be strong or if I can press past that barrier. But people worry none-the-less. I tend to wear baggy clothing which helps hide some of it.

:laugh: I think I could be okay with you looking down on me for that.. I still get along with people that really hate how unattractive I make myself out to be.

I'm tiny, sooooo.... When I was around 125 lbs, people still asked me if I were pregnant. Sure, there are people who try to encourage me to eat more and gain weight again, but I always tell them I'm not underweight as long as I have fat upper arms and my bra size is still 32C. Because you know what? I do have fat on my bones, but at least not as much as they do.

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I joined a gym yesterday because I feel it is time to start taking better care of my body. I want to feel good. I do not do it for others, although I do believe the way you look contributes greatly to the way people perceive and treat you. I do think it is more important to do it for yourself, because that can be a greater driving force to work out/look better, than the desire to impress/please others.

Raffaella

bon vivant
Depends on the seasons, really.

In winter it's more about prestige because nothing else will motivate me to get off my backside. The weather is so dreary, I wouldn't care if my health suffered because of it so I rely on the fear of becoming obese to get me through. I'm not very active in winter, I do the bare minimum of 30 minutes/5 days.

In summer, I'm extremely active because warm weather has an outstanding effect on my mood and lifestyle. At first I start exercising with the intention of living healthy and practising what I preach but then it becomes so much more than that. I start craving the endorphins, appreciating the company of my workout buddies/team members and challenge myself to go further and faster. I find ways to keep active outside of my workouts and consequently I become sanguine and carefree. This cheery outlook and reestablished confidence attracts new and interesting people and it motivates me to keep exercising.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No. Just shower and but what is the reason more dudes have extended stares at me than feems today? Strange

- - - Updated - - -

No I'm not trying to sound arrogant..it's like huh?