• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you work out/devote a lot of time to your appearance? If so, why?

Why do you put so much effort into your appearance

• You want to attract members of the opposite sex

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Social prestige/ you want to be socially popular

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • For health reasons

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • Because you work a job that requires you to

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • I just work out because I enjoy playing sports

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Other

Votes: 16 30.8%

• Total voters

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I do it for health purposes, mostly, when it comes to grooming. I make sure I have healthy skin, hair, and teeth, and I don't eat all crap food, but I don't watch my weight closely and I've never been overweight.

When it comes to working out, I do it because I like to feel strong and know that I'm physically in shape and powerful and because I like sports. Specifically, soccer and MMA. I guess I don't work out too much outside of that, but I'd say I try to stay active for a good 10-15 hours a week or more.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I began working out because I don't want to look like a fucking weakling anymore. I don't care about attracting anyone or changing my looks to become more popular, but I want to look strong and as close to intimidating as I can be.

I continued working out because I actually enjoy fighting-based sports. I don't think I'd be as determined to keep going if zoe don't love it.

Pessimistic Hippie

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I love how many people admitted that they do it to attract the opposite sex. Same, lol. If it keeps me healthy at the same time, that's a bonus. xD

I don't work out like I used to, though =_= and I'm trying to cut back on what I do with my appearance by eating healthy to keep my skin clear, therefore not having to use as much makeup.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't apply effort into working out, like as in I don't sit around and schedule my workouts, think about it, I just kind of do it. I don't do weights. I just run. And it is mainly for my mental health. It helps give my anxiety a place to go and keep me from just wasting away in a bed somewhere. All the little things count toward that. Ending up looking good is just a bonus.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I’d say I put a fair amount of effort into my appearance. Primary reason is for short & long term health benefits.

I’ve always been thin (been the same size clothing since HS), & didn’t work out regularly until about 4yrs ago at 32, when I developed hip problems [from a congenital bone deformity that started causing a lot of damage & chronic pain]. Physical therapy was kind of the workout gateway that provided me some structure for workouts. Purpose is pain reduction & strengthening supporting muscles around my unstable joints for surgical prehab/rehab & longterm body support.

I found that the cardio aspect of it (stationary bike) also greatly improved my emotional stress tolerance & my general body rhythms. Got better sleep, GI regularity, etc.

The aesthetic changes were obviously a plus, but not the focus by a long shot. And, despite being thin/eating well/working out 4-6 days a week, I’ll probably never get 6pack abs or anything like that.

I also take meticulous care of my skin, which again, is primarily for health reasons. I developed severe nodular cystic acne in my 20s. Not only was it aesthetically unpleasant, but it was also physically painful. Cysts actually tunneled under my skin together to form larger lesions that had trouble healing, leaving me open to infections—which happened— & that actually led to 4 reconstructive surgeries to repair the massive, deep scarring. So, I follow a very consistent AM/PM skincare regimen & take both an oral medicine/topical medicine to keep all that at bay, & I avoid sunlight like the plague, since a lot of my meds increase my already pale skin’s sensitivity to UV. SPF year-round.

A side bonus my topical med has is anti-aging, s now in my mid 30s, I don’t really have much in the way of wrinkles, yet. That’s a perk, but not my reason for self-care.

I do wear some makeup. This is more for myself than anyone else. I don’t care about attracting a mate with it. I like how it looks, even if I’m only seeing it for a few minutes a day. A lot of my ‘makeup’ is dual purpose as part of my skin care routine, anyway (tinted sunscreen, spf30 concealer on scars, oil controlling spf powder, etc). Eye makeup is purely for fun & to offset any ‘washout’ my sunscreen creates.

I don’t do mani-pedi stuff. I cut my own hair. I don’t do much to it besides washing/conditioning. I rarely buy new clothes, & when I do, I choose clothing I find physically comfortable & aesthically pleasing to myself/expressive of myself.

I don’t particularly care about ‘attracting’ people to me, especially based on appearance. That said, there’s nothing wrong with caring about that. I think it’s natural to some extent. It just isn’t really on my radar in any significant capacity. :shrug:

Rainbow Iris

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx
I spend more time and money than I ought to buying interesting clothes and accessories, not so much to look good for anyone else, but as an expression of my personal aesthetic. I feel more like myself when I'm dressed in things I enjoy.