1 1.89%
  • I just work out because I enjoy playing sports

4 7.55%
  • Other

15 28.30%
First 45678 Last

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

I started formal exercising when in college, and at that time my primary reason was, I think, the being-attractive-to-opposite-sex element. Also, linked to that I suppose, my liking how I look when I'm fit and slender. And, it was also a bit of a social thing, at the time... something most of the students did, and so I'd go to the gym with friends, usually.

Since then, it's been a continuation of the habit. Also, after college, I a) had a job at a national park briefly, and was impressed with a couple in their 60's/70's who were leading hikes, and very fit for their age, and I wanted to try to do everything in my power to be like them if I reached their age; and b)I watched as my parents grew older and became much less fit, less mobile, and I wanted to try to avoid that.

And, over the years, I've realized that I have come to really really enjoy being active, and I 'need' it in a sense (to the point of my dreading the possibility of something happening to my body such that I'm no longer able to do it - being stuck in a chair or bed would be really really depressing for me). Many of my hobbies are active (though, aren't team sports, they're solitary). It also really impacts my emotional state in a positive way. So, it's pretty important at this point on a number of levels.

I guess it started out as a few reasons, and has branched into a lot.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INtP

Primarily for health reasons -- in my 20's and early 30's I used to play a lot of volleyball, but life sort of got in the way of that, and I just sort of transitioned into working out at home - which became terribly boring after a few years. Most of my hobbies tend to be both solitary and sedentary, so without some effort I could easily see myself slipping into unhealthy habits. These days I put a lot of effort into eating healthy, and go to the gym 3 times a week. As such I'm reasonably healthy for someone my age, which is really the primary reason I do it.

Of course, I'd also prefer to be seen as attractive (I'm not, really - but I am "fit", which is something), and I do enjoy getting out of the house and seeing people outside of work -- the gym's as good a place as any for that. I do enjoy sports, but it's not something that I've really done much lately -- but I do have the option, which is another plus.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    973 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Not really, there's no point in trying to dress nice or have a nice body because of how repellent my face is, so I really don't care. If I had a nice face, I definitely would be wearing really nice clothes and trying to get a kickass body..
    MBTI: ISFP
    Enneagram tritype: 9w8, 7w6,4w3
    Cognitive functions: Fi-Si-Se-Ti-Ni-Ne-Te-Fe

http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/24/249715.png

Ask me questions
    http://www.ask.fm/lunareclipzes3

" I don't have the passion anymore, and so remember it's better to burn out than to fade away"
    - Kurt Cobain

WhoCares

Just wanted to add that when I reached 40, I suddenly started to notice old people a lot more. And as I watched them and saw most of them were in pain or at the very least severe inconvenience physically it has really given me a kick up the ass with regards to health. I have no intention of needing a walker,wheelchair or a sack full of medications when I am that age. Under 30yrs and old people are largely invisible to you or even if you do notice them you arrogantly think that somehow this will never be you. Middle age is sobering to the reality that everyone ages and the best you can do is maintain fitness and vitality throughout your life to lessen any kind of incapacity later in life. Inspirational people to me are those in their 50 s and 60's who really shine with vitality. It is possible to be vibrant and active at every age but you cant wait until you've lost some capacity to get there.

The other sobering event was a repetitive strain injury, it taught me I wasn't impervious and if I didnt want to lose my job and enjoyment of life I had better stop dicking around and get on with looking after this physical unit. Now feeling vibrant and alive with a full functioning body is my major goal.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by WhoCares View Post
    Just wanted to add that when I reached 40, I suddenly started to notice old people a lot more. And as I watched them and saw most of them were in pain or at the very least severe inconvenience physically it has really given me a kick up the ass with regards to health. I have no intention of needing a walker,wheelchair or a sack full of medications when I am that age. Under 30yrs and old people are largely invisible to you or even if you do notice them you arrogantly think that somehow this will never be you. Middle age is sobering to the reality that everyone ages and the best you can do is maintain fitness and vitality throughout your life to lessen any kind of incapacity later in life. Inspirational people to me are those in their 50 s and 60's who really shine with vitality. It is possible to be vibrant and active at every age but you cant wait until you've lost some capacity to get there.

The other sobering event was a repetitive strain injury, it taught me I wasn't impervious and if I didnt want to lose my job and enjoyment of life I had better stop dicking around and get on with looking after this physical unit. Now feeling vibrant and alive with a full functioning body is my major goal.
    Sorry to hear re. your earlier strain injury.

I couldn't agree more with your post.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

I've done weight training regularly for years. Unfortunately, my job restricts this to three days a week at the moment. I like to be physically fit and strong. Most of my cardio is performed while playing sports. I hate the treadmill, but I'm a beast on the glute machine; did 8 reps of 150 lbs on each leg today, which is all the weight on the machine (a new record for me). The hardest part is not the exercise and discipline, but the dietary requirements to build muscle and stay healthy. Protein shakes taste like shit.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    INFj Ne

I do (exercise regurarly) as to keep in contact with the real world, not to indulge myself in laziness and my mind. I lose myself too easily. I never was a physical person, I never did like sports. But I find it's good to have healthy routines, you could say I do it for health reasons. If you're anything like me, it's important to force yourself to do these things. Exercise is good for your mind and body.

I've had to start again :[

I don't think of myself as being too impressive-looking to begin with, so impressing others is rarely a priority of mine. Too much softness / "puffiness" bothers me though, a lot, especially if it's my stomach or my legs.

I admire athletic women like Sofia Boutella (white hoodie) and Allyson Felix (far right):

and on an admittedly more shallow level, Alana Blanchard:

The distinction between staying active and working out I draw as the former being about fun and health versus the latter being like a chore at the worst. Iow, I'd go without workouts if I could (lol and I have been). My BF% is too high right now though; my thighs are 19" and my waist is 25" - but I am annoyingly soft. My ideal is 24" waist and maybe 17" thighs? And firm / lean. Then I'll be back to doing only what I want for fun.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

i'm not into working out. i'm luckily pretty naturally thin, and i prefer being softer and curvier over muscular and athletic .

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

i'm not into working out. i'm luckily pretty naturally thin, and i prefer being softer and curvier over muscular and athletic .