• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you work out/devote a lot of time to your appearance? If so, why?

Why do you put so much effort into your appearance

• You want to attract members of the opposite sex

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Social prestige/ you want to be socially popular

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • For health reasons

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • Because you work a job that requires you to

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • I just work out because I enjoy playing sports

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Other

Votes: 16 30.8%

• Total voters
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Working out is for vain people.

I do spend 3 to 4 hours a day grooming my eyebrows.

Eluded_One

Building muscle memory in my brain
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i'm not into working out. i'm luckily pretty naturally thin, and i prefer being softer and curvier over muscular and athletic :shrug:.

You're such a peach.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't remember my answer to the poll but I generally try to dress reasonably well. Working out - well, I could do that better or more consistently. There have been many times over the years I've been in excellent shape but I'm not as much right now.

I guess appearance is important to me. I perceive it to be important to my job, to be attractive to my SO and to feel good about myself in general.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
I do serious martial arts. That alone keeps me fit and very strong for my size. I also walk a lot.

I like how it feels to feel good.

I also think that being fit makes me look good. I try to dress in a way that compliments my body style.

Eluded_One

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I do serious martial arts. That alone keeps me fit and very strong for my size. I also walk a lot.

I like how it feels to feel good.

I also think that being fit makes me look good. I try to dress in a way that compliments my body style.

You people with your Tai Chi Chuan, Brazilian Jew-jitsu, Richard Simmon's Tae Bo kickboxing aerobics, and pancake shellac, thinking you can catch moving bullets with your freakin' teeth. You guys need a reality check.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You people with your Tai Chi Chuan, Brazilian Jew-jitsu, Richard Simmon's Tae Bo kickboxing aerobics, and pancake shellac, thinking you can catch moving bullets with your freakin' teeth. You guys need a reality check.

I guess that means you're not exercising either.

It's actually important.

Eluded_One

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I guess that means you're not exercising either.

It's actually important.

h40BE1C5C

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I only do 20 minutes on the treadmill every day (whenever I can). It's mainly for health + quality sleep. Of course, there's the added benefit of being able to fit into dresses too. :blush:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I didn't used to work out, and never enjoyed sports. Trying to remedy that now.

The OP question isn't all about physical fitness, and my answers re: different aspects of my appearance are going to be different, so I'll make different sets of lists.

Physical fitness
1) I enjoy the routine
2) I enjoy challenging myself
3) I'm happier/more energetic when I exercise regularly
4) I want to start doing martial arts well, which requires being more fit
5) I want to be a badass!

Stylish clothing
1) The creativity and intellectual exercise that comes with developing and maintaining your own personal style -- it feels like a craft that I am constantly honing
2) I'm happier and more confident when I look good
3) I like being able to shape my image, i.e. what people realize about me when they see how I dress. Mostly because I know from experience that I'm capable of presenting accurately and authentically through personal style

Hair/makeup
1) See the above re: image
2) I'm incredibly vain about my hair -- the rest of me is in the average to below average range, but my hair is awesome, so I play it up to balance out the rest

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
I work out for:

Long term - health reasons
Short term- to look sexy

There are many other reasons but those reasons can be categorized under the above two.

Oddly enough though working out is initially about looking sexy for attraction purposes when you start working out it becomes about looking sexy for oneself.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I work lots of the day thats true. Need to get my country forward.

Bullet

I work out for:

Long term - health reasons
Short term- to look sexy

There are many other reasons but those reasons can be categorized under the above two.

Oddly enough though working out is initially about looking sexy for attraction purposes when you start working out it becomes about looking sexy for oneself.

It's also addictive. I've told myself on several occasions that I'm going to cancel my gym membership, but it hasn't happened yet. Goin on 3 years now. Speaking of which, I've got a date with some dumbbells tonight. It's gonna get hot and sweaty.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
It's also addictive. I've told myself on several occasions that I'm going to cancel my gym membership, but it hasn't happened yet. Goin on 3 years now. Speaking of which, I've got a date with some dumbbells tonight. It's gonna get hot and sweaty.

had you said "cancel my university career" I would have been shocked !

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram

had you said "cancel my university career" I would have been shocked !

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4

Cliche as it sounds, to each his own (or her own or whatever the case may be.)

Mole

Permabanned
I work out to raise my status. For ever since manual labour became unnecessary, manual labour raised in status and is only conducted in high tech gyms.

As a general principle, anything that becomes unnecessary and is conducted for its own sake, raises in status.

Why, even celebrities have abs now, and that condom full of walnuts, Arnold Swarzenegger, became Governor of California, and would have become the President of the United States of America, if only he had been born in the right place.

Meanwhile, with every lift of the bell bar, I raise my social status.

Eat your hearts out!

Chuffney

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3/8
Instinctual Variant
so
I occasionally take a day off but mostly will put in at least 45 minutes to an hour a day, do my best to keep my BMI to 21 (Currently 20.9) purely because I don't think I could live with myself being overweight or untoned. It would just depress me.

xisnotx

Permabanned
I don't devote a lot of attention to how I appear, no. I have planned to start.

OrderOfTheCaelifera

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I exercise because it feels good, the attention from women doesn't suck either.
After jogging 3-4 miles I experience a light headed feeling similar to being high. The back of my head tingles similar to an adrenaline rush, my heart & breathing slow down & I feel as though I could run forever.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Cliche as it sounds, to each his own (or her own or whatever the case may be.)

Thats actually no cliche, its what 2 Million Jews read before entering Ausschwitz