User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Inattentive type here, too. I wholeheartedly believe it's a thing. I'm not medicated for it and I never plan to be but the behavioral interventions have been absolutely necessary and sanity-saving for me.

Halla, that was an amazing post. How did you pay attention long enough to construct it?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I do think that a sizeable portion of the human population may not be fit for staring at a computer screen for 10 hours a day, taking care of extremely specific mental tasks that do not involve any kind of physical movement (or very little physical movement).

The diagnosis for the "inattetive" section of ADHD is fairly vague, in my opinion. For example, how often do you have to forget something important (tools, documents, etc.)? How many mistakes in schoolwork (or work) do you have to make in order to be considered "inattentive"? Couldn't it just mean that you're doing a type of work you're simply...bad at?

I can remember instances of my life where I execute a very long string of completely flawless activities. I remember other instances in which I did a sizeable number of "careless" mistakes. From my point of view, the latter cases involved tasks for which I did not "train" enough.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Inattentive type here, too. I wholeheartedly believe it's a thing. I'm not medicated for it and I never plan to be but the behavioral interventions have been absolutely necessary and sanity-saving for me.
    Hi Ivy!
    Counseling has been of HUGE benefit to me.
    I went most frequently when I was initially diagnosed, every other week for six months.
    Learning techniques to help me identify when my symptoms were getting in the way of my daily life activities was something that would have taken me forever to do on my own without professional guidance.
    These days I go back from time to time to keep that skill set fresh.
    IMHO, anyone with ADHD who is taking medication for it can function with less medication if they do the work to go through the counseling process and increase their self-awareness.

And as I said earlier, and you said above - some people choose not to take meds for their ADHD and are able to make things work, which I think is awesome.
    It really is up to each person to find what combination of therapies works best for them.

I'm sure a lot of people do try to just deal with their ADHD with medication alone, as many people who have depression do also - and if that works for them I think it's great considering what life is like when you have a condition that interferes with your daily activities and mindset.

Halla, that was an amazing post. How did you pay attention long enough to construct it?
    Thank you, Ivy. I appreciate that.

I was able to pay attention long enough to write that post because of two things:

(1) For years I've been an avid reader about this because it's something I have and must manage on an ongoing basis, and
    (2) Adderall instant release, 20 mg.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Oh, I'm not knocking medication at all. I know plenty of people who benefit from medication immensely. Earlier in my life I would have tried medication if I could- my heart condition makes it a no-go, though. I had to learn other coping techniques through counseling, reading, and experimentation.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Oh, I'm not knocking medication at all. I know plenty of people who benefit from medication immensely.
    Hey there, Ivy!
    I didn't think you were knocking medication; if my reply read like I assumed that it was not intentional. Ooopsy on me, if so!

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy
    Earlier in my life I would have tried medication if I could- my heart condition makes it a no-go, though. I had to learn other coping techniques through counseling, reading, and experimentation.
    Absolutely, that's why I'm a big believer in there being useful therapies of all kinds.
    People should have a choice as to how they wish to manage their health.
    Sometimes insurance doesn't cover a given type of treatment and that can complicate things further. But ultimately, feeling healthy and well is priceless, so IMHO taking the time to find what works and at a cost you can afford is well worth the effort.

-Halla74
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    yupp

I tried adderall once, not for ADHD, just because, it ended badly never again
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post

Below are the DSM-IV TR criteria for ADHD if you wish to compare it to the DSM-V criteria I mentioned above...

(DSM-IV TR) Diagnostic criteria for Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder

These criteria are obsolete.

DSM IV - TR

(cautionary statement)

A. Either (1) or (2):

(1) inattention: six (or more) of the following symptoms of inattention have persisted for at least 6 months to a degree that is maladaptive and inconsistent with developmental level:

(a) often fails to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, work, or other activities
    (b) often has difficulty sustaining attention in tasks or play activities
    (c) often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly
    (d) often does not follow through on instructions and fails to finish school work, chores, or duties in the workplace (not due to oppositional behavior or failure to understand instructions)
    (e) often has difficulty organizing tasks and activities
    (f) often avoids, dislikes, or is reluctant to engage in tasks that require sustained mental effort (such as schoolwork or homework)
    (h) is often easily distracted by extraneous stimuli

(2) hyperactivity-impulsivity: six (or more) of the following symptoms of hyperactivity-impulsivity have persisted for at least 6 months to a degree that is maladaptive and inconsistent with developmental level:

Hyperactivity

(a) often fidgets with hands or feet or squirms in seat
    (f) often talks excessively

Impulsivity

(g) often blurts out answers before questions have been completed
    (i) often interrupts or intrudes on others (e.g., butts into conversations or games)
    These are basically my life. I don't meet all the criteria for hyperactivity/impulsivity anymore, so I guess that means I am in partial remission.

On meds... I do not think they are ideal, but they are sometimes necessary. If I hadn't taken them as a child I may have dropped out of high school, like my father who did not have the option of meds. I would probably have low self-esteem, and think I was stupid. Because of meds I am able to be a statistical outlier in terms of ADHD. I have never used recreational drugs, I did not experiment sexually in high school, I have almost obtained a Bachelor's degree, and plan to pursue a Master's.

Some of that is personal conviction and drive to succeed, as well as having great parents. But, a good portion of it is also because of Ritalin. I haven't taken it since I was 17, and hopefully won't need to again. But, for a time it was necessary.
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

Senior Member TheCheeseBurgerKing's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP

You know how mbti is kind of static and non concrete? Thats how disorders like ADHD are, IMO. It describes the way that people act. Thats it. There always a way around it.

To use it as an excuse to fail, to give up, thats the crime. Theres always something deeper, something else that can be done.