User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default Caffeine + l-theanine + Ginkgo experiment

I am now taking 200 mg l-theanine, 200 mg caffeine, and 180 mg ginkgo.

I am also technically taking creatine, and I figure I might as well eat some dark chocolate too.

All in accordance with this article.

We will see what happens.

Caffeine on its own is not a great cognitive enhancer. In fact, studies show that it doesn't usually improve performance in learning and memory tasks, though its stimulant properties may occasionally have beneficial effects on cognitive performance and mood (though temporarily — what is usually accompanied by jitters and a crash). Now that said, when consumed in conjunction with L-theanine, a common amino acid found in green tea, it does in fact create more long-lasting and beneficial effects, including a boost to working memory, rapid visual information processing, and especially attention switching (i.e. reduced distractibility). The reason this works is that the L-theanine, which can cross the blood-brain barrier, counteracts the negative stimulant effects of caffeine, including anxiety and increased blood pressure.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Have you considered meth?

Glycerine

@zago, if you also want to try a natural energy drink for an occasional treat, Vuka energy drinks are supposed to be pretty good. It has some of the same ingredients as the article talks about and my local gym sells them at the cafe (which only has "healthy" items).

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Ginkgo by itself is noteworthy for me. Elevates mood and I've heard observations from others around me (women fwiw) that I emit a more happy and positive body language. Not a huge "energy boost" but a subtle improvement nonetheless.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    INTP

Holy crap.

That was probably the most productive, focused 8 hours of my life. My attention span was what was really the most incredible thing. When I started something, I kept on doing it way longer than I expected to, until it was literally done. My focus was just... completely zen.

I was a little shaky and jittery at first so I took another l-theanine. After that I just... got in the zone or something. I didn't feel like anything. All I felt like was getting as much done as possible, and I did it all with ruthless efficiency and alacrity. Last Sunday I just took caffeine by itself, and my mood was negative the whole time, I was thinking bad thoughts, but I was still getting things done. This time, I just didn't give a fuck. I was completely happy to get everything done. It didn't bother me one bit. I wanted it. And nothing sidetracked me.

Where was this shit when I was in college?

I am literally out of things to do. I want to do more. But I'm out.

My apartment is immaculate. I mean completely so. More so that it has ever been.
    Then I paid all my bills and stuff like that.
    Then I threw out all my trash, got my mail, and filed everything. And organized my file bin.
    Then I organized the crap out of my computer. All of my folders are organized. All of my files are organized and systematized like never before.
    I had 589 tabs open in Firefox when the day began. Now I have less than 20. I took every single tab and I organized it into a new hierarchy of bookmarks, and laid them out such that I would have the most ease in getting to them in a way such that I wouldn't forget to.

I dunno, like... everything is done. Everything. Technically it helped a lot that I did this last week too, but like I said that time was just more stressful. The l-theanine helped a lot I guess.

I'm going to start doing this every Sunday. I have always needed something like this. A productivity day. And I'll probably choose one other day during the week to do it too, like Wednesday perhaps.
    Last edited by zago; 02-03-2014 at 04:22 PM.
    Likes Paigemariec liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Consider trying yohimbine. Though I have a bottle of it sitting in my room, I have not yet used it personally. At the very least, you might find it interesting.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    I had 589 tabs open in Firefox when the day began. Now I have less than 20.
    I... just... how!? I do not get how people can do this! If I have more than 4 tabs open at a given time I get quite annoyed. 90% of the time I have only one open. I just change pages if I want to go do something else. Having that many tabs open is just... distracting. To each their own, but still, goddamn.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    I... just... how!? I do not get how people can do this! If I have more than 4 tabs open at a given time I get quite annoyed. 90% of the time I have only one open. I just change pages if I want to go do something else. Having that many tabs open is just... distracting. To each their own, but still, goddamn.
    It got distracting, yes. 589 is just ridiculous. Something had to be done. I still have them all, but now they are organized into bookmark folders, which I conveniently placed by category on my bookmarks toolbar.

The problem is, when I read one page there are always like 5 other interesting links on it, and I want to read them all too so I open them. I simply don't have time, though, and I wind up hoarding.

MBTI
    INTP

I have not felt tired at all in the last 13 hours. I feel alert and chipper, still. This has been good.

Are you still using nootropics to this day, I am a beginner and have started with caffeine and L-theanine and haven't seen much of a result, was thinking about doing 400mg of L+T 150-200mg of caffeine and 120mg of ginkgo to see if maybe I get more of a zoned in focus like I'm wanting..

Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    I am now taking 200 mg l-theanine, 200 mg caffeine, and 180 mg ginkgo. I am also technically taking creatine, and I figure I might as well eat some dark chocolate too. All in accordance with this article. We will see what happens.