User Tag List

First 1234 Last

garbage

I could stand to lose a few %s, but apparently if I lose many more %s I will turn into a grotesque freak

WhoCares

I sit about 20-25% range at the moment which for me feels moderately overweight. I am happier in the 15% range, lookswise anyway. I dont need to worry about menstration since I'm sterile anyway. Its just an inconvenience for me.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

My bmi is roughly 25%-30%. Used to be much less. This is the heaviest I've ever been.

Because of the way I'm built, I often feel heavier. I gain weight in my gut and not my hips, arms, or breasts. I look terrible in a bathing suit, but my legs/hips/butt look great in shorts, dresses, and skinny jeans.

It's amazing how differently women can be shaped. My best friend is roughly the same height, maybe an inch shorter than myself. She's the exact same weight as me and roughly same bmi. But she has an hour glass figure. Her hips are much thicker and her breast are larger. But she looks so trim in her mid section. I'm always jealous of her curves, whereas she's always jealous of my smaller arms, butt, and legs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- @Halla74 What's the best way to calculate BMI? I used an online calculator and it says 24.3%.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I'm probably closer to 25% at 230lbs.

Although I'm not that heavy at the moment.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

My height and weight (5'6.5", 140lbs) put me at 22%, on online BMI calculators, but those things aren't really accurate. Physically, I think I look somewhere between the 25% girl and the 30% girl.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    My bmi is roughly 25%-30%. Used to be much less. This is the heaviest I've ever been.
    Don't worry about your BMI; it is largely irrelevant.

NOTE:
    Body fat percentage IS NOT THE SAME as BMI

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan
    @Halla74 What's the best way to calculate BMI? I used an online calculator and it says 24.3%.
    My recommendation is to not use BMI at all.
    I will post links to better methods of determing your actual body fat percentage in a bit.

For purposes of knowing your true level of physical fitness AND optimizing your self-esteem, I reccommend:

(A) Knowing your somatotype (ectomorph, mesomorph, endomorph)
    (B) Being aware of your food intake & quality of foods eaten
    (C) Being aware of your level of physical activity
    (D) Accepting your body's unique characteristics so that you can set realistic goals that are a benefit not only to your physical appearance, but also of benefit to your physical health, self-esteem, and overall happiness.

-Halla74
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Another vaguely 25-30% one here, at least according to those pictures. Hard to tell because I'm not overweight overall but tend to store more weight than I'd like in my abdomen, so the pictures with the perfectly flat stomachs (do those exist in nature?!) seem ridiculously far off for me.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Weird. When I used the handheld device at the gym on Sunday, it said around 9%. Yesterday it was 8% and today it's 7.5%. I don't have much fat, but I literally can't see any definition in my abs. It's quite frustrating.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Our society puts way too much emphasis on idolizing unrealistic health and fitness expectations.
    I am not immune to this, I'm directly affected by it because my entire childhood there were huge pictures/posters of all the classic bodybuilders taped to the walls of my family's basement, and my Dad and brother made me a "mini-kid" barbell and dumbbell set, and taught me how to lift at age 5. I was in the basement with them three days per week at five years old, and the pictures of the champions imprinted into my consciousness - so that by the time I was 10 - 12 years old I thought that looking like a pro bodybuilder was expected of all men, and if anything something you just had to strive to do as a right of passage. Thankfully I enjoyed weightlifting very much, but I enjoyed it too much - and wound up needing 3 shoulder operations and a spinal fusion surgery to repair me from the years of strain and tissue damage that were the price I didn't know I was paying in my quest to like those I respected and idolized as a young boy.

I have no regrets about any of my life experience as an athlete; I just wish society would be more responsible in communicating achievable ideals about health & fitness to all people, and give them the information, training, and support needed for all to choose the path that is right for them in achieving it.

-Halla74
    Just out of curiosity, is there anything you think you could've done differently to avoid causing tissue damage and requiring surgeries? Is that pretty common among veteran bodybuilders, something that is inevitable if you lift for so many years? I've gotten occasional wrist pain, which has been reduced since I started wearing wrist supports. Also, I do more exercises now to focus on strengthening the forearms.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Solar Plexus View Post
    Just out of curiosity, is there anything you think you could've done differently to avoid causing tissue damage and requiring surgeries?
    Hey there!

This is a good question, but one that cannot be answered without appropriately factoring out my distinct life experience from that of the risks of physical injury (be it acute, cumulative, and/or hereditary) that all human beings are at risk for simply by living.

First I'll address what I could have prevented, and when I say "prevented" I mean "lessened the probability of occurence" - because there is no guarantee that lessening (or even eliminating) the amount, duration, and scope of one or more activities will definitively ptevent an injury of any kind. Does this make sense? If not please let me know.

So, a majority of the cumulative damage done to my tendons, jonts, cartilage, and ligaments was caused by competitive powerlifting, which I did for three years when I was in high school. My freshman year I weighed about 155 pounds; by the end of my junior year I weighed 185 pounds. The majority of my training was centered on simple, compound barbell movements (bench press, squat, deadlift) - but I also integrated a variety of other barbell & dumbbell exercises into my routine because I wantes to have a balanced, proportionate physique. I never intended to be a powerlifter; I got involved with it because it is a natural stepping stone into bodybuilding. Long story short, I placed ninth in the state championship in the 189 pound weight class. That was good enough for me; I built the muscular foundation I wanted and was ready to move on and focus entirely on bodybuilding.

Muscles heal. Tendons and ligamemts don't heal well at all. And cartilage will progressively become degenerated in all joints over tthe human lifetime. So, back to my statement about preventio /risk. By pursuing powerlifting as I did, I without a doubt increased the likelihood/risk of developing chronic injury in my tendons & ligaments. BUT - that is most true for only my shoulders. My back injury (herniation at L4/L5 disc) was due toegenerative disc disease, which my Father has. In addition to the herniated disc (removed and repaired by fusing L4 and L5) I've also got three bulging discs not far from the site of ths herniation. So, in all honesty, I don't know how much of my disc issues are hereditary or self-induced; I'll never know and I honestly don't care to, I'm just rolling with it all.

A final caveat. I know people who have herniated a disc by simply picking up a gallon of milk at a bizarre angle. I know one of my shoulder surgeries (SLAP tear, left arm) was caused by me slipping and falling backward on my friend's deck; I caught myself with my left arm but severed my bicep tendon as the price of breaking the fall. Also, baseball players, swimmers, and tennis players all have similar numbers of shoulder injuries as weightlifters bodybuilders. This is why I am reticent to make any statements about what injuries of mine could have been prevented/attenuated if I pursued weightlifting any differently than I chose to.

Quote Originally Posted by Solar Plexus
    Is that pretty common among veteran bodybuilders, something that is inevitable if you lift for so many years?
    In general, yes, but honestly I don't think any more so than any other sport.

More specifically, for a given person:

(Genetic Predisposition) + ((Physical Activity * Intensity) * (Years)) + (Random Risk) = Probability of Injury from Cumulative Strain

Quote Originally Posted by Solar Plexus
    I've gotten occasional wrist pain, which has been reduced since I started wearing wrist supports. Also, I do more exercises now to focus on strengthening the forearms.
    Wrist pain is most commonly from:
    (a) Tennis Elbow
    (b) Golfers Elbow
    (c) Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
    (d) Repetitive Movements, such as Hammering Nails or using a Screwdriver

It's good you are aware of it. The wrist brace is a smart move too. Icing it a few times per week never hurts. If it gets too bad to where you can't hold a barbell or even a briefcase then PM me and I'll send you a link where you can buy a neoprene counterforce brace that wjll shut the tendonitis down when you're lifting.

In closing I will say that doing more reps and less weight is probably a good idea for most people. Also, always use proper form; you will get better results with less weight and also be less prone to injury. Stretching is also largely overlooked by a majority of recreational athletes/gym rats. These are the things I wish were emphasized as being more important than being a fucking enormous meathead by society. I also wish coaches explained the differences between the ability of muscle to heal as opposed to the limited ability of tendons & ligaments to heal.

The bottom line? Even if you sit on your ass and never take any physical risks in your lifetime - you will still wind up with one or more chronic/degenerative injury(ies) by the time you are middle aged, and you won't have had a whole lot of fun. We are frail, helpless and weak at birth and at death. What work we choose to do with our bodies while they serve us is our choice to make, and the affect on our bodies or the feats we might accomplish are our risks to take. The only thing that is certain is that one day we will die, and the story of our lives will be written by the words we spoke, and the actions we took while living for what we believed in.

-Halla74
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro