• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is better - cardio or weights?

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
Was having a discussion the other day with a friend. I say it depends on what one's goals, so cardio is better for stamina training, improving fitness and losing weight. But then I've heard that weights are better for losing weight, which doesn't make much physiological sense to me. Improved muscles will burn off calories, but then this is only if one does it at bodybuilder level. Simply toning up still wouldn't affect metabolism that much.

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
Was having a discussion the other day with a friend. I say it depends on what one's goals, so cardio is better for stamina training, improving fitness and losing weight. But then I've heard that weights are better for losing weight, which doesn't make much physiological sense to me. Improved muscles will burn off calories, but then this is only if one does it at bodybuilder level. Simply toning up still wouldn't affect metabolism that much.
I think it is a wash calorie burning wise, like say you lift light weights for 30 mins or jog for say 45 (whatever the equivalent expenditure of calories is). But buffed up muscles may burn a few more calories when at rest.

I doubt the difference is signficant. The type of exercise you are likely to stick with is the one I would pick if weight loss is your goal.

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
Injury rate should probably factor in as well as what senseye said about enjoyment. Weightlifting is more likely to get you injured as opposed to things like swimming or elliptical machines. Running is questionable.. there are many injuries associated with it.

I'd say mix it up. Do weights 1-2 days a week, do cardio more often, and eat a balanced diet with plenty of protein. That's pretty much what I do. I wish I had access to a pool, though, as my gym lacks one. I do either elliptical or running for cardio.

krypton1te

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Both are important. I would still say weights over cardio though. It all depends on your goals (lose fat, build muscle, fix metabolism, etc).

I prefer weightlifting because muscles = more calories burned at rest = I get to eat more :newwink:

If you want to maximize strength and fatloss, try weightlifting circuits eg. 5 rounds of 10 squats, 15 dead lifts, 20 burpees.

Dannik

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
BOTH.

IN GENERAL
"Cardio" develops your lung muscles, your heart, and improves your blood flow- your endurance and stamina
"Weight training" develops your muscles and improves your strength, and also develops your quick twitch muscles; your ability to quickly react and make fast body movements.

it is very important to balance both.

if you want only to lose weight very quickly, cardio will serve you best.
but the number of your weight is not so important as the health of your body.

gromit

likes this
Echo what others have said about the importance of both, and how they each have different purposes and benefits. Both are important for long-term health as well.

However, from what I've learned in school, I almost want to say that if you HAD to pick one over the other, cardio has more long-term health benefits in terms of preserving physical and mental function as well as decreasing the risk for disease. However, weight training also has long term health benefits, so if you can find the time/motivation to do both, I'd encourage that!

Jamez Bond

Yeah this is good information i like this actually i was in searching for this information and thinking to make a thread for this but i have no need to make any more thread after read out this information anyways thanks for this and have a nice day.
If anybody have some information about Weight Loss or Exercise Tips then please share here.
Thanks

Last edited:

Carb

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Both. You shouldn't be missing out on either. *Shifts in chair.* They say 1hr of sustained, or 30min of burst, cardio a day is necessary for a healthy heart. I started some minor strength training at 14, and stopped at 18 due to health problems. Trust me when I say it's the difference between getting your cheeks handed to you in a humiliating way and not. I've also seen some people turn blue trying to run, and they seem even more embarrassed.

TL;DR: exercise like you're 'sposed tuh.

Laurence125

What you want to do and what's your goal?
Cardio exercises are best for the weight control and fitness purposes. While weight exercises are good for the bodybuilding and muscles recovery. If you want to maintain your fitness and build your body shape then you should do both exercise regularly.

Last edited:
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Injury rate should probably factor in as well as what senseye said about enjoyment. Weightlifting is more likely to get you injured as opposed to things like swimming or elliptical machines. Running is questionable.. there are many injuries associated with it.

Hell no, not if you lift with good form, and at a safe level of weight. Same with running. It's all about proper form and technique and moderation. And in fact, lifting weights, when done properly (which most people DON'T) is the most injury preventing thing you can do, as it builds muscle and strengthens tendons. Rugby players aren't are pure hunks of muscle so they can withstand the incredible about of punishment they receive.

And it's a misconception that weight lifting ISN'T cardio. Cardio is pumping oxygen enriched blood through your heart and body. This happens when lifting weights. I can get my heart rate up to 170 bpm doing sprints, but I can also do this on a heavy leg lifting day doing squats.

Granted, aerobic exercises, running, biking, etc., will give you more endurance and stamina.

A far as i know cardio is little better than weight lifting.
For stamina, yeah. But one is not "better" than the other.

And for older people, but also in general:
"The greater your muscle mass, the lower your risk of death"

This is from a recent study at UCLA: http://newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla/older-adults-build-muscle-and-271651.aspx

TheCheeseBurgerKing

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
My favorite workout:
Do 500 reps on one muscle (Example: chest)
You could even do two muscles in one day (1,000 total reps)

The point of this type of excercise is to keep an extremely high level of muscle tension, giving you maximal growth.
All the people who put up shit tons of weights are retards, egos bigger than their brains. If your pushing with your joints at all, you're fucking up.
You wanna do lighter weight than you're probably used to.

If you do 500 reps within 30-45 minutes like you are supposed to, you will get a pretty damn good cardio work out as well.

This work out is the tits.

annexfriesia

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTP
depends. i agree with the classic argument "cardio is for fitness, weights is for strength/toning".

Thing is both have to be kept up, along with diet to see desired effects. Cardio done everyday for an hour has to be kept up in the long-term. Weights has to also, as muscle loses definition over time without constant use. it's not an either or IMO, depends on one's goals.

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=20143]danseen[/MENTION] --
Feh. The best way is *heavy* weight training three days a week, high-intensity cardio the other three.
I used the book The TNT Diet
http://www.amazon.com/Mens-Health-T...8&qid=1399090684&sr=1-1&keywords=the+tnt+diet

OK, I lied. I didn't do high-intensity cardio for all of it: I bicycled 34 miles round trip to work on cardio days until it got cold outside.
The weightlifting followed the book; but you can also do the lifting program in
The New Rules for Lifting
http://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lif...447&sr=1-3&keywords=the+new+rules+for+lifting

or Bigger Leaner Stronger
http://www.amazon.com/Bigger-Leaner...090533&sr=1-1&keywords=bigger+leaner+stronger

Then the diet: I used "The TNT Diet" http://www.amazon.com/Mens-Health-TNT-Diet-Explosive/dp/1594869766
basically meat and green vegetables, no starch or alcohol. Drink 8-12 oz chocolate milk (sweetened with SUGAR, NOT high fructose corn syrup) 15-min to 1/2 hour before exercise, and again immediately after.

Lost 40 lbs. in 1 year, went from size 40 pants to size 33; from 24% body fat to 17% body fat.
Oh, and added muscle.

Next step: either Better Than Steroids
http://www.amazon.com/Better-Than-S...99090608&sr=1-1&keywords=better+than+steroids
or some form of intermittent fasting...

Gamine

in-game
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
I'm about to use two of my favourite C words....

Crossfit and cross training. For runners who race (like me), weight training is so important for muscle memory, strength, endurance and especially core strength. I would not be as good of a runner without weight training. Alternatively, I wouldn't be able to push myself as hard during weight training if my heart and lungs weren't up to the task.