User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default What is better - cardio or weights?

Was having a discussion the other day with a friend. I say it depends on what one's goals, so cardio is better for stamina training, improving fitness and losing weight. But then I've heard that weights are better for losing weight, which doesn't make much physiological sense to me. Improved muscles will burn off calories, but then this is only if one does it at bodybuilder level. Simply toning up still wouldn't affect metabolism that much.
    Good result (vs. Soton)...still have to go #Arsene

Tengo los conocimientos estardiar....no hay un motivo para estar al tanto de la reunión que sucedió hace mucho tiempo ....

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

what is your goal

MBTI
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by danseen View Post
    Was having a discussion the other day with a friend. I say it depends on what one's goals, so cardio is better for stamina training, improving fitness and losing weight. But then I've heard that weights are better for losing weight, which doesn't make much physiological sense to me. Improved muscles will burn off calories, but then this is only if one does it at bodybuilder level. Simply toning up still wouldn't affect metabolism that much.
    I think it is a wash calorie burning wise, like say you lift light weights for 30 mins or jog for say 45 (whatever the equivalent expenditure of calories is). But buffed up muscles may burn a few more calories when at rest.

I doubt the difference is signficant. The type of exercise you are likely to stick with is the one I would pick if weight loss is your goal.

MBTI
    INTP

Injury rate should probably factor in as well as what senseye said about enjoyment. Weightlifting is more likely to get you injured as opposed to things like swimming or elliptical machines. Running is questionable.. there are many injuries associated with it.

I'd say mix it up. Do weights 1-2 days a week, do cardio more often, and eat a balanced diet with plenty of protein. That's pretty much what I do. I wish I had access to a pool, though, as my gym lacks one. I do either elliptical or running for cardio.

Quote Originally Posted by danseen View Post
    it depends on what one's goals
    Yes they both have health and fitness benefits, but different benefits, and if possible the ideal would be both.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Both are important. I would still say weights over cardio though. It all depends on your goals (lose fat, build muscle, fix metabolism, etc).

I prefer weightlifting because muscles = more calories burned at rest = I get to eat more

If you want to maximize strength and fatloss, try weightlifting circuits eg. 5 rounds of 10 squats, 15 dead lifts, 20 burpees.
    Two things fill me with wonder —
    the starry heavens above me and
    the moral law within me.

Immanuel Kant

Tell me what a person finds sexually attractive
    and I will tell you their entire philosophy of life.

Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram

BOTH.

IN GENERAL
    "Cardio" develops your lung muscles, your heart, and improves your blood flow- your endurance and stamina
    "Weight training" develops your muscles and improves your strength, and also develops your quick twitch muscles; your ability to quickly react and make fast body movements.

it is very important to balance both.

if you want only to lose weight very quickly, cardio will serve you best.
    but the number of your weight is not so important as the health of your body.

Echo what others have said about the importance of both, and how they each have different purposes and benefits. Both are important for long-term health as well.

However, from what I've learned in school, I almost want to say that if you HAD to pick one over the other, cardio has more long-term health benefits in terms of preserving physical and mental function as well as decreasing the risk for disease. However, weight training also has long term health benefits, so if you can find the time/motivation to do both, I'd encourage that!
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Yeah this is good information i like this actually i was in searching for this information and thinking to make a thread for this but i have no need to make any more thread after read out this information anyways thanks for this and have a nice day.
    If anybody have some information about Weight Loss or Exercise Tips then please share here.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Jamez Bond; 03-15-2014 at 06:23 AM.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EIE

Both. You shouldn't be missing out on either. *Shifts in chair.* They say 1hr of sustained, or 30min of burst, cardio a day is necessary for a healthy heart. I started some minor strength training at 14, and stopped at 18 due to health problems. Trust me when I say it's the difference between getting your cheeks handed to you in a humiliating way and not. I've also seen some people turn blue trying to run, and they seem even more embarrassed.

TL;DR: exercise like you're 'sposed tuh.

ESFJ - 3w4 - SLUAI - EIE

Extraverted, Sensing, Feeling, Judging
    Unfocused, Gullible, Irrational, Exclusive