User Tag List

First 123 Last

What you want to do and what's your goal?
    Cardio exercises are best for the weight control and fitness purposes. While weight exercises are good for the bodybuilding and muscles recovery. If you want to maintain your fitness and build your body shape then you should do both exercise regularly.
    Last edited by Laurence125; 03-29-2014 at 03:38 AM.
    Adam Prowse Personal Trainer,
    2/539 High Street Maitland,
    New South Wales 2320, Australia

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Injury rate should probably factor in as well as what senseye said about enjoyment. Weightlifting is more likely to get you injured as opposed to things like swimming or elliptical machines. Running is questionable.. there are many injuries associated with it.
    Hell no, not if you lift with good form, and at a safe level of weight. Same with running. It's all about proper form and technique and moderation. And in fact, lifting weights, when done properly (which most people DON'T) is the most injury preventing thing you can do, as it builds muscle and strengthens tendons. Rugby players aren't are pure hunks of muscle so they can withstand the incredible about of punishment they receive.

And it's a misconception that weight lifting ISN'T cardio. Cardio is pumping oxygen enriched blood through your heart and body. This happens when lifting weights. I can get my heart rate up to 170 bpm doing sprints, but I can also do this on a heavy leg lifting day doing squats.

Granted, aerobic exercises, running, biking, etc., will give you more endurance and stamina.

A far as i know cardio is little better than weight lifting.
    For stamina, yeah. But one is not "better" than the other.

And for older people, but also in general:
    "The greater your muscle mass, the lower your risk of death"

This is from a recent study at UCLA: http://newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla...nd-271651.aspx

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Circuit training is better.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Circuit training is better.
    I disagree, I think marathon training is best.

Senior Member TheCheeseBurgerKing's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP

My favorite workout:
    Do 500 reps on one muscle (Example: chest)
    You could even do two muscles in one day (1,000 total reps)

The point of this type of excercise is to keep an extremely high level of muscle tension, giving you maximal growth.
    All the people who put up shit tons of weights are retards, egos bigger than their brains. If your pushing with your joints at all, you're fucking up.
    You wanna do lighter weight than you're probably used to.

If you do 500 reps within 30-45 minutes like you are supposed to, you will get a pretty damn good cardio work out as well.

This work out is the tits.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENTP

depends. i agree with the classic argument "cardio is for fitness, weights is for strength/toning".

Thing is both have to be kept up, along with diet to see desired effects. Cardio done everyday for an hour has to be kept up in the long-term. Weights has to also, as muscle loses definition over time without constant use. it's not an either or IMO, depends on one's goals.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by danseen View Post
    Was having a discussion the other day with a friend. I say it depends on what one's goals, so cardio is better for stamina training, improving fitness and losing weight. But then I've heard that weights are better for losing weight, which doesn't make much physiological sense to me. Improved muscles will burn off calories, but then this is only if one does it at bodybuilder level. Simply toning up still wouldn't affect metabolism that much.
    @danseen --
    Feh. The best way is *heavy* weight training three days a week, high-intensity cardio the other three.
    I used the book The TNT Diet
    http://www.amazon.com/Mens-Health-TN...s=the+tnt+diet

OK, I lied. I didn't do high-intensity cardio for all of it: I bicycled 34 miles round trip to work on cardio days until it got cold outside.
    The weightlifting followed the book; but you can also do the lifting program in
    The New Rules for Lifting
    http://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lift...es+for+lifting

or Bigger Leaner Stronger
    http://www.amazon.com/Bigger-Leaner-...eaner+stronger

Then the diet: I used "The TNT Diet" http://www.amazon.com/Mens-Health-TN.../dp/1594869766
    basically meat and green vegetables, no starch or alcohol. Drink 8-12 oz chocolate milk (sweetened with SUGAR, NOT high fructose corn syrup) 15-min to 1/2 hour before exercise, and again immediately after.

Lost 40 lbs. in 1 year, went from size 40 pants to size 33; from 24% body fat to 17% body fat.
    Oh, and added muscle.

Next step: either Better Than Steroids
    http://www.amazon.com/Better-Than-St...+than+steroids
    or some form of intermittent fasting...
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.

Senior Member TheCheeseBurgerKing's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP

Building muscle is actually the quickest way to burn fat. Running, you'll lose mostly water weight.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2

I'm about to use two of my favourite C words....

Crossfit and cross training. For runners who race (like me), weight training is so important for muscle memory, strength, endurance and especially core strength. I would not be as good of a runner without weight training. Alternatively, I wouldn't be able to push myself as hard during weight training if my heart and lungs weren't up to the task.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

mix