• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Placenta Eating?

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ok, so I've never had a baby. But I've heard that it's actually fairly common to eat the placenta after giving birth. Initially this grosses me right out. Yuck, right? But it's supposed to be really good for you. So my question is, did you or anyone you know do this? Tell me about it. I'm curious!

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As far as I know, there's no clinical or empirical evidence to support placenta consumption as being "good for you." - the only sources recommending it & asserting it as such are derived from folk remedies that may not have any factually sound basis or concrete data behind them.

If that's enough for you guys, then I say, bon appétit. :happy:

450px-Cord_%26_Placenta.jpg

:sick:

I really feel like this is an element of the Old-New-Wave Holistic Hype nowadays.. some remedies are useful, and some aren't- or aren't as much as they're touted to be. Even considering the possibility that eating placenta could provide some benefits.. I suspect they'd be negligible in the long run.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
if eating humans causes more harm than good, I don't see how eating a placenta would be different

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i'm not considering this for myself. no babies on my mind. or placentas. just kinda intrigued by the idea really. and i wanna see if there are any personal anecdotes around here.

also, Lex, that picture is horrifying.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^ Yeah, that picture's pretty accurate.

are you sure you're not being trolled by someone?

(I'm in the US and I've never heard of eating the placenta. "Fairly common" seems a stretch. Although in your favor I just Googled it and see it's actually been discussed in some mainstream mags. Ick.)

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So does it go well with bacon and pasta? Thing is, cooking it would probably lower its nutritional value anyway. I know animals eat it. Oh well, maybe it will be delicious when you are on an island playing survivor.

T

The Iron Giant

So does it go well with bacon and pasta?

Does anything not? Well, green peppers... I think I might rather have the placenta.

I hadn't heard of humans eating placenta before, though I know there are other mammals that do. I have heard of humans using placenta as a beauty product.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Cannibalism? It's not exactly like cutting off and eating a body part, it's something that would go in the trash leaving your body and baby's no worse for wear. Gross but not exactly oroboric.

Anyway, now I'm feeling the need to go out for protein smoothies.

*slurrrp*

V

violaine

I didn't do it, but a couple of my friends consumed their placentas after the births of their second and third children. One friend also had some interesting art made using her twin's placentas. All of them swear by it for preventing postnatal depression, which they all had after the birth of their first babies. There are people who can prepare tinctures and pills from the placenta for consumption to make it a bit more palatable.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
I didn't do it, but a couple of my friends consumed their placentas after the births of their second and third children. One friend also had some interesting art made using her twin's placentas. All of them swear by it for preventing post-natal depression, which they all had after the birth of their first babies. There are people who can prepare tinctures and pills from the placenta for consumption to make it a bit more palatable.
Yeah, I was going to say the same thing, that there are companies that make pills from placentas, and some women take them as a post-natal vitamin. I've heard about it, but I can't imagine doing it.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I want to say I would never eat placenta. but it's got me curious. what does it taste like?

V

violaine

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing, that there are companies that make pills from placentas, and some women take them as a post-natal vitamin. I've heard about it, but I can't imagine doing it.

They were all very keen to avoid having postnatal depression again. I think they would have done almost anything. That said, none were particularly squeamish about it.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
They were all very keen to avoid having post-natal depression again. I think they would have done almost anything. That said, none were particularly squeamish about it.

Hmm, yeah, I've heard stories about post-partum depression, and it sounds terrifying. I've heard that if you've experienced depression in the past, it makes you more likely to develop PPD?