User Tag List

View Poll Results: Good at getting medical help?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 14.29%
  • Depends on what's wrong

12 57.14%
  • No, I don't want other's too worry

1 4.76%
  • No,I don't want to know what's wrong

2 9.52%
  • Other

3 14.29%
First 12

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I'm amazed at how many people have an irrational fear of the dentist!
    I the only reason I have had my mouth worked on in a while is because I can't afford anything.

I have impacted wisdoms that really should be removed.
    Just remember with wisdom teeth removal comes happy drugs. that's what got me excited about getting mine removed. then one side didn't heal quite right so I got more happy drugs. I started with meperghan (if you can get your dentist to give you this accept!) then vicodin (still fun but not meperghan fun, i thought I was a ghost on this)
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I don't usually go for anything but an annual exam, but if something is sufficiently "wrong" with me to warrant medical care, I seek it. I'm fortunate to be insured and have access to midwifery well-woman care which is a good first rung on the care ladder. I had a near-constant heart arrhythmia a little over a year ago and a midwife helped me figure that out by referring me out for a 48 hr. heart monitor and echocardiogram. (It was a benign arrhythmia called premature atrial contractions, which ramped up considerably when I was under some pretty bad stress.)
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    yupp

I'll probably go for a full physical the year before I'm too old to be on my dad's insurance. but maybe not, as the bill will go to him, and then if something is wrong I'd have to tell them. Kind of the same reason I won't go to a therapist, though I believe I can go to one on campus for free, I might do that.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I'm amazed at how many people have an irrational fear of the dentist!
    I the only reason I haven't had my mouth worked on in a while is because I can't afford anything.

I have impacted wisdoms that really should be removed.
    I'm a part-time dental assistant. lol No, I really am.

I get a routine checkup every year. A physical and eye examination. My teeth are cleaned for free in the office. I'm not sick often. I've never had a cavity or a broken bone. I'm fortunate as far as that goes. If I had a serious issue that required medical examination, I'd definitely go.

MBTI
    INTP

I'm not too bad at going to the doctor. I have a chronic condition that needs ongoing monitoring and meds, so I have to go every few months in order to stay well enough to work. I've had some severe stress going on in my life and he's helped me a bit with that too.

Dentists. Erm. I'm a tad phobic after a few really bad experiences. I'm several years overdue for that (and I know my teeth aren't in great condition).
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    INTP

I don't go unless there's something that is causing a problem AND obviously won't take care of itself. When ill, I've been known to just keep saying "Oh, I'll get better," until I get pneumonia or get better. I also don't usually go for injuries, unless I think I need to have a bone set or get stitches.

Not surprisingly, I treat my car the same way.

I'm also very bad about staying quiet and in bed when sick, but that's a different topic. Somehow I always manage to get sick when I'm on vacation. Once over spring break I got strep throat, but still willed myself to play strip poker and go skinny dipping in the 50 degree lake. Another time, more recently, I got a stomach virus right before going skiing in West Virginia. I spent the first day or two vomiting. Then, weak and dizzy, I went out and hit the slopes. Hmm, not very smart.

I should probably change my behavior, since I do have insurance, and access to the campus health center. I've had some pretty bad scares, too, which you'd think would teach me a lesson.