• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are you interested in a 2014 Exercise [and Diet] Challenge?

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This might be the wrong forum to talk about foreskin supplements...

A

Anew Leaf

Including one other and me, that's 6 of us so far...

How would you guys want to do this? Do you like the idea of a mini-challenge every two weeks? Would a competitive portion make this more fun, or just annoying? Do you have any ideas that would encourage people to participate and stick with it?

I think for me having an external way to get some accountability is helpful and makes me push harder. Perhaps a competition portion could be involved in another fashion between those who can that week.

A

Anew Leaf

Sorry for so many posts here- on phone.

Maybe we could focus on a 90-day challenger together first with some ground rules laid out... Or do we each make our own personal thread on this forum to focus on stuff?

Ok I'm done!

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm in like Flynn. Could use to loose another 15.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Saturned:

I'm leaning towards 90 days as well... and maybe will extend to 180 if a decent amount of people are still participating by the end.

I'd like to have a central Challenge thread, and then people can create personal exercise blogs for going into detail. The blogs would be a supplement. They worked nicely last time, but no one really posted in the main thread, so after a month everyone just went their separate ways and things fizzled from there.

I'm still trying to figure out what the Challenge would look like, though. Since I won't be mailing prizes, and want to avoid the idea of a limited number of cheats, I'm trying to figure out what type of things a thread on the internet can provide to encourage people to participate.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Alright guys, I'm on the fence with this one. I've had a couple of things happen since I started this thread that made me realize that I need to reshuffle my priorities, so I won't have as much time to dedicate to the forum as I thought. The "contest" is definitely out. I didn't see too much interest in that, anyway.

I'm still thinking of doing this, but I'm struggling to think of what we can do to help motivate each other to stick with it for 3 (or possibly even 6) months. Based on past Challenges, it's not quite enough to just have everyone go at it and create their own threads - eventually things fizzle out.

Any ideas?

G

garbage

I'm in
I'm still thinking of doing this, but I'm struggling to think of what we can do to help motivate each other to stick with it for 3 (or possibly even 6) months. Based on past Challenges, it's not quite enough to just have everyone go at it and create their own threads - eventually things fizzle out.

Any ideas?
Participants could post some goals, and once in a while others can quote 'em and ask, "Hey, where are you at on this one?" It'd be a way for everyone to constantly check the thread and get all reminded.

R

Riva

I would like to join too.

However my intentions are to gain weight/muscles and not to lose fat. I am currently 81kgs/178Lbs at 183.5 cm/6 ft and I want to gain upto 85Kgs this year. Last year I managed to gain 5kgs. So can I take part in this?

Anyway I am under the impression that this isn't entirely about losing weight/body fat because I don't see any weight problem the ENFPs I've quoted below have to shed.

sure i will too.

I am so down. :happy2: I need a way to keep in shape (especially during the cold seasons).

Do you two really have any weight issues?

B

beyondaurora

I'll join in. If we keep it simple, it might help us to stick with it. For example, could we just post our progress in one master thread? We could do a weekly "weigh in" or something of the sort to keep us on track. And the "weigh in" could be related to whatever our individual goals might be. I might post:

Progress: Rode recumbent bike 3x this week for 30 mins per session; ate gallon of chocolate ice cream and whole bar of Godiva chocolate; weight unchanged

Goal: Cardio rehab via recumbent bike 5x per week for 30 minutes per session; cut out chocolate to alleviate migraines; lose 5 lbs

Just thinking aloud...

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I love this f***ing forum.

I'm in.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm in

Participants could post some goals, and once in a while others can quote 'em and ask, "Hey, where are you at on this one?" It'd be a way for everyone to constantly check the thread and get all reminded.

So do you think is it worth having a master list of participants, and removing them if we don't hear from them after X weeks?

However my intentions are to gain weight/muscles and not to lose fat. I am currently 81kgs/178Lbs at 183.5 cm/6 ft and I want to gain upto 85Kgs this year. Last year I managed to gain 5kgs. So can I take part in this?

Of course. While the details are still being worked out, the basic premise is that you post your goals at the beginning, and then routinely share your progress, either in the main thread or in a personal exercise thread in the Exercise Challenge subforum. And of course, you are free to adjust and post new goals as we go on.

I'll join in. If we keep it simple, it might help us to stick with it. For example, could we just post our progress in one master thread? We could do a weekly "weigh in" or something of the sort to keep us on track. And the "weigh in" could be related to whatever our individual goals might be. I might post:

Progress: Rode recumbent bike 3x this week for 30 mins per session; ate gallon of chocolate ice cream and whole bar of Godiva chocolate; weight unchanged

Goal: Cardio rehab via recumbent bike 5x per week for 30 minutes per session; cut out chocolate to alleviate migraines; lose 5 lbs

Just thinking aloud...

Yeah, I'm definitely a fan of having a main thread for summarized progress posts. Sometimes people want to know how everyone is doing without having to sort through 10-20 individual progress threads. The main challenge is that people very quickly slack in posting to the main thread unless they receive gentle reminders.

I do like the idea of keeping track of the weight everyone losses (or gains) as a high level metric. It might be neat to see if we, as a group, can surpass 200 pounds or something like that.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Anyway I am under the impression that this isn't entirely about losing weight/body fat because I don't see any weight problem the ENFPs I've quoted below have to shed.

Do you two really have any weight issues?

well that's a weird question kind of.

i have fitness goals like most people who care about being healthy n stuff.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, since I have plenty of good reasons to take care of my health anyway, why not? :D Count me in.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For example, could we just post our progress in one master thread? We could do a weekly "weigh in" or something of the sort to keep us on track.

I was gonna say both of these too. ^^

I think people should kinda sorta have to "weigh in" in the main thread even if they have their own personal on the side...cause how could we keep track otherwise?

So do you think is it worth having a master list of participants, and removing them if we don't hear from them after X weeks?

I think it would help so that we know who to quote, mention, or rep. Cause I know for me, even if I fall off the band wagon...I'm more likely to start right back up if I have a reminder of some sort.