User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    IXFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    @bolded: Do you think we are even focusing on the action of the eating, though? Seems to me we are barely paying attention to the food, which might be part of why we need more intensely flavored foods (lots of sugar and salt). Our food has to "shout" to be heard over the noise of driving, surfing the web, doing work, etc..
    So I guess your idea is: food shouts to be heard over the constant din of the internet, tv, media (etc) in peoples' busy/overwhelming/oversaturated lives. My idea is: food shouts to fill the Fathomless Void in peoples'
    monotonous/lonely/isolated/culturally-dead lives. Your idea makes sense to me; I'm not sure whether or not it conflicts with my idea. We used different starting points/assumptions about our culture(s).

I guess what a person gets out of unhealthy food/eating habits depends on whether that person feels overwhelmed with life (your perspective) or dead (my perspective) to start with.

I'm not sure if this post makes sense. It's an interesting subject to think about though.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by elemenop View Post
    So I guess your idea is: food shouts to be heard over the constant din of the internet, tv, media (etc) in peoples' busy/overwhelming/oversaturated lives. My idea is: food shouts to fill the Fathomless Void in peoples'
    monotonous/lonely/isolated/culturally-dead lives. Your idea makes sense to me; I'm not sure whether or not it conflicts with my idea. We used different starting points/assumptions about our culture(s).

I guess what a person gets out of unhealthy food/eating habits depends on whether that person feels overwhelmed with life (your perspective) or dead (my perspective) to start with.
    The role that food plays in our emotional needs is indeed an interesting topic, and an important one. To clarify though, I wasn't trying to say that unhealthy eating habits were a result of being overwhelmed, but to say that I don't think most people really pay that much attention to their food when they eat. Unhealthy eating habits can have a wide variety of reasons though, and people eating to fill a void caused by isolation is definitely one possible reason.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Do you think we are even focusing on the action of the eating, though? Seems to me we are barely paying attention to the food, which might be part of why we need more intensely flavored foods (lots of sugar and salt). Our food has to "shout" to be heard over the noise of driving, surfing the web, doing work, etc.

The trick is to eat the huge steak slowly. There's a lot that goes into the feeling of satiation, and it usually takes 20 minutes or so for it to kick in. On the plus side, a huge steak will help you feel full far longer than the pasta.
    I agree with this. Eating slowly and enjoying every bite makes everything better -- you are more satisfied, you feel full faster, chewing thoroughly also helps your digestive system.

Right now I'm starting a new strategy -- try cooking 'from scratch' as much as possible. Processed foods are loaded with sugar and sodium. Once you try to cook everything from scratch, you can actually taste each food's unique flavor.

I've switched my peanut butter to an organic, no extra stuff added one and it tastes a lot more peanut buttery Now when I go back to the normal brands that are a sugar and salt fest they actually taste fake to me.

I've also found that cooking food makes you eat it less. It's like you've spent so much time with it that it helps satiate you emotionally somehow...
    4w5 sp/sx EII

8. Food is cultural. It bonds families and communities.
    Food is currency. Refer to chimp behaviour where the males who share meat (hunting teams are composed of primarily males and a few aggressive females), garner more social alliances and get laid more often.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by 21% View Post
    Right now I'm starting a new strategy -- try cooking 'from scratch' as much as possible. Processed foods are loaded with sugar and sodium. Once you try to cook everything from scratch, you can actually taste each food's unique flavor.
    Whole foods, you say? I'm almost starting to see a pattern in this thread...

I've also found that cooking food makes you eat it less. It's like you've spent so much time with it that it helps satiate you emotionally somehow...
    If I were to guess, it's a combination of the activity of cooking, which can be an appetite regulator, as well as the fact that you are cooking whole foods, which tend to be more filling. (More fiber, less simple sugar, etc.) Of course, maybe I'm not getting the emotional satisfaction because most of what I cook isn't all that fancy.

Quote Originally Posted by andante View Post
    Food is currency. Refer to chimp behaviour where the males who share meat (hunting teams are composed of primarily males and a few aggressive females), garner more social alliances and get laid more often.
    Oooh, good one. The currency element is much more subtle (subconscious?) in humans, but isn't that kind of what traditional, stereotypical dating is? Male takes female out to dinner in hopes that she'll come back to his place afterward? Also refer to Section B Rule 2 of the Man Code: Beer will be legal tender in exchange for assistance in moving, car repair, housing projects, etc.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

This is a good thread. I need this.
    And why am I just finding this thread after eating left over yams and stuffing for breakfast?
    It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are. ~e.e. cummings

ENFP
    sx/so/sp
    7w6, 4w5, 9w8

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Whole foods, you say? I'm almost starting to see a pattern in this thread...
    Yep! I didn't believe it at first, but after I actively tried to eat only whole foods for about 2-3 weeks I could feel the difference (combined with only 15-20 minutes of exercise daily). The trick was educating myself about what was good and what was not. The cooking from scratch thing helped, as it weeded out secretly added sugar that is simply unavoidable in processed products. And, I found that if you cut out processed food, you can eat a huge amount of whole foods and still be within your calorie limit!

I've been slacking lately though. Since it's December everyone seems more sugar-happy than usual...
    4w5 sp/sx EII

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFp None

Food is first and foremost fuel. Everything else is a secondary consideration. Thinking of food as fuel can be very useful for recovering from eating disorders or combatting stress-eating tendencies. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.
    Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness." ― Kurt Vonnegut

ENFP. 7w6 – 4w3 – 1w9 sx/so. Aries. Dilettante. Overly anxious optimist.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Chiharu View Post
    Food is first and foremost fuel. Everything else is a secondary consideration. Thinking of food as fuel can be very useful for recovering from eating disorders or combatting stress-eating tendencies. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.
    See, I disagree with the bolded. The way you worded it, it sounds like you are saying that everything else that food does, combined, still is secondary to the calorie content of food. You didn't really make a case for that, though, especially considering all the essential (to life and health) things that food provides that have nothing to do with energy.

Well when I think of "food as fuel" I don't think of it like gasoline/calories added to a machine, but I do think of it as what my body needs to be functional and healthy and happy. If you put crappy stuff into your body, it's not going to work so well and you're not going to feel so great as if you feed it nutritious (but still tasty) food.

Yes it's a dynamic system and WHAT you eat (and possibly even when?) is as important as how much you eat. But I never really thought the "food as fuel" statement precluded that mindset...

More like what @Chiharu said that it's a perspective to contrast against the sort of reward/punishment aspect or emotional eating that is ingrained in a lot of people.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.