Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I don't agree with the premise. I think obesity is one of the last acceptable prejudices.
    ditto

Hate

It shouldn’t be tolerated, fatties should be eliminated.

Why? Because this is Sparta!

*pushes @EffEmDoubleyou off the cliff*

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

The US subsidizes corn like it's running a feed lot, which doesn't help, IMO.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Mobius View Post
    To be fair that would only be true in a state without debt, where they weren’t borrowing money for their residents. Last time I checked there were only a handful of countries who could claim that
    I'm in Texas. We're bred big from the get-go

Secondly I think we had a misunderstanding I said “if the state has to pay.” I was referring to universal healthcare, because obesity is a global problem, something I can attest to being from a country that has on occasion claimed the top rank on the obesity chart.
    Another reason I don't support universal health care. There are lots of ways to find middle ground between everything and nothing. We're just too caught up in red tape to make simple and concise decisions.

I’m sorry that your mother has to put up with that. I’m sorry I have absolutely no idea how I’m supposed to respond to this.
    The point of it isn't for sympathy--my mom is healthy and fine--it is to paint a complex picture using only one color. If people had to pay more for 'being obese' or something like that, the state would start to violate all sorts of privacy rights as far as WHY people are obese. My impression originally from your post was that you were thinking the state has to get involved somewhere--I think it's fine where it's at as far as personal management of any sort. I think now that we were on the same page.

The bolded was what I was talking about when I said the state should take some responsibility. along with reviewing the regulation around the food industry, and putting in incentives for food companies to produce healthier products.
    I absolutely do agree with you. The focus should be on directives that actually are simple and viable answers to food. They're possible. There are schools with real meals cooked daily for no more cost than the processed BS I had to eat. There should always be a step towards the health of citizens--as that is where the state should be concerned. The overall well being of its citizens-- but this is not to be confused as not tolerating obesity.

I think I should explain what I mean by grey area. I mean that there are no black and white answers, as in if we do this and that bam we’ve solved the problem. That it would take the individual and the state, and the food industry to reduce the number of obese people.
    It was me to misunderstand you then. We were tracking after all.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    What you don't see is the underlying issues. Most 20 year old females don't desire to be overweight willingly. I mean, what you're saying is essentially the same argument you'd give to homeless people. "Why don't they just get a job? I mean that fixes everything." Until you see the figures of the sheer mass of homeless people with jobs. Then suddenly that isn't so viable.

Walking up stairs doesn't fix an unhealthy childhood, a lack of emphasis growing up on nutrition, social and peer pressure, and unconscious habit. Even healthy people tend to under estimate the calories they take in. Most people are not well educated in nutrition, and many girls are not encouraged to do things like work out at the gym--and it can seem really daunting to practically starve yourself on salads all the time while others your age with luckier genes are grubbin' like they're getting the needle the next day.

Barring emotional issues and medical issues, the people you socialize with a lot have a huge influence on your diet and lifestyle. She's young. Young people aren't really known for caring about their diet and nutritional health long term.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9134520AARVEZk
    I basically agree with you, but I believe that a person and people in general must act as if they have free will even if they don't. In other words, if I go around with the philosophy "I/they couldn't help it" then I think I will have a more negative effect on them. I would like to spread memes/beliefs that are encouraging.

Then again, I know people have limits, and I have had to grapple with my own recently. It seems to me like a lose-lose situation. If you tell people they have free will and are responsible for what almost amounts to bad luck, it will give them inferiority complexes, or tell people nothing is their fault ever and have them become lazy and entitled. Maybe I'm at fault for believing that, though, hell.

All I'm saying is, I want to spread the belief that walking up staircases is an easy thing I think more people should do. I see people at the mall for instance, almost all of them using the escalator when there is a perfectly good staircase right there next to it. Is it my business what these people want to do? Yes, it is. I have to look at them every day, and it depresses me to see such apathy. I don't mind being the guy who has to wake people up. We need to look our best and be healthy. We need to stay fit. It's the right way to live. I think that's pretty much absolute, as in, if you don't think it, you're wrong no matter what you believe about your position.

Again, however, I believe in a soft approach to this. I don't think it is effective to be mean about it or intimidate people into getting into shape or whatever. They have to believe in it, and I do think it is something to believe in, so I'll say as much. Bottom line, nobody is perfect (so I don't judge), whether it is our weight or whatever else, but that doesn't mean we should excuse everything.

The x-factor in all of this, though, is the body language of taking an escalator vs. walking up stairs. Walking up stairs is almost undignified in our society, especially if you do it the efficient way. People don't want to look like they're in a hurry or are too obsessed with the nuts and bolts of physicality and efficiency when in public. I don't really understand that at all, so I take the stairs, and I skip them, because why would I take the staircase if I didn't want to look like I was exerting myself. I am not a patient person in these sorts of situations. Same in traffic.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

I came across this article while doing research for something else the other day: http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013...n-more-weight/. It talks about how "fat shaming" can actually cause people to overeat even more.

It's such a complicated issue on a lot of levels. Food addiction is a very real thing. Certain foods cause neurotransmitters in the brain to be released just like sex or drugs. For someone who has been obese for a long time, losing weight is harder than just cutting out McDonalds. That said, we desperately need to be teaching kids more about healthy eating and making better choices.
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

I'm heartened by a lot of the responses in this thread. I think weight is one of the last areas where people are very bigoted and completely, truly believe they are being totally rational in their bigotry.

If you ACTUALLY want to help, and not just sit in front of your computer bitching about how you don't like looking at obese people, volunteer with adult outreach programs at the YMCA or other health and wellness outreach programs. Being fat is hard enough as it is; I've been there. The last thing that's going to help someone get to a healthier weight is a stranger who has no idea what it's like to struggle with weight harping on obesity from afar.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I generally don't mind taking stairs, but a lot of them are pretty isolated, making them scary for women who have been conditioned to think like prey (as I have). I don't mind doing two or three stories if they are open, get a fair amount of traffic, and seem safe. More than that, probably not.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sp/sx

I'm in Texas. We're bred big from the get-go

The point of it isn't for sympathy--my mom is healthy and fine--it is to paint a complex picture using only one color. If people had to pay more for 'being obese' or something like that, the state would start to violate all sorts of privacy rights as far as WHY people are obese. My impression originally from your post was that you were thinking the state has to get involved somewhere--I think it's fine where it's at as far as personal management of any sort. I think now that we were on the same page.
    Ah I thought there was an analogy I wasn’t getting. I completely agree isolating a portion of a population is always a horrible idea, and a state that intrusive is a horrifying prospect.

I absolutely do agree with you. The focus should be on directives that actually are simple and viable answers to food. They're possible. There are schools with real meals cooked daily for no more cost than the processed BS I had to eat. There should always be a step towards the health of citizens--as that is where the state should be concerned.
    I know they did something similar in New Zealand schools; requiring that the food met certain nutritional criteria; things like soft drinks got the boot replaced with juices and bottled water. Which when I think about it, wouldn’t have made a difference to Coke Cola as they own all the juice and bottled water companies in NZ.

The overall well being of its citizens-- but this is not to be confused as not tolerating obesity.
    Agreed it’s not a great distance between stigmatised, to scapegoat, to monster.

It was me to misunderstand you then. We were tracking after all.
    I think in text communication it is inevitable; but if it leads to interesting conversation, and a new perspective then it’s not such a bad thing.
    “Brighter, now brighter, pay no mind to those who squint, burn with all your heat.”

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

and it can seem really daunting to practically starve yourself on salads all the time while others your age with luckier genes are grubbin' like they're getting the needle the next day.
    (...)

But I am not for rewarding people born with better genes than others.
    Having "good" or "bad" genes is, in the case of obesity, most of the time a legend, unless you're a Pacific Islander or very unlucky.
    It's a legend purposefully designed to make obese people feel better, but it's a legend nonetheless. Some scientists deperately try to find evidences supporting this legend (because it's true some cases of diabete have, indeed, a genetic cause), but for the vast majority of obese people (between 80 to 90%), the most obvious reason why they're obese is bad nutritional habits and a very sedentary lifestyle.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI