User Tag List

First 123412 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Honestly fat people bother me a little. From afar I couldn't tell you why, but the ones I have known have usually been simply lazy. Back in college I knew this girl who was probably 5'2 and close to 200. She would have been really pretty if she got down to 120, which also would have been healthy. Mind you, I was still her friend and all, but I regularly witnessed her eating junk food, and she always took the elevator instead of the stairs. That alone baffled me. It's one thing to dedicate yourself to going to the gym several hours a week, that's pretty tough. But to walk up a few flights of stairs a few times a day is an almost passive way to get in better shape. It's as quick as the elevator, and really not that demanding. But it helps.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I fail to see how it is an issue at all. There is no sense of tolerating it because it is what it is. You don't 'tolerate' water--it is and exists and will always be.

People aren't required to live their personal lives in any way, shape, or form for the sake of others. And I hope it stays that way. That's like saying why is tanning tolerated when it causes skin cancer. Because things go much deeper than what is scientifically practical.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Fat people don't 'bother me' because I don't think I know anyone lazier than I am or with less self-discipline. I know I won that particular gene lottery. That doesn't make me a better person. It makes me lucky.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    Honestly fat people bother me a little. From afar I couldn't tell you why, but the ones I have known have usually been simply lazy. Back in college I knew this girl who was probably 5'2 and close to 200. She would have been really pretty if she got down to 120, which also would have been healthy. Mind you, I was still her friend and all, but I regularly witnessed her eating junk food, and she always took the elevator instead of the stairs. That alone baffled me. It's one thing to dedicate yourself to going to the gym several hours a week, that's pretty tough. But to walk up a few flights of stairs a few times a day is an almost passive way to get in better shape. It's as quick as the elevator, and really not that demanding. But it helps.
    What you don't see is the underlying issues. Most 20 year old females don't desire to be overweight willingly. I mean, what you're saying is essentially the same argument you'd give to homeless people. "Why don't they just get a job? I mean that fixes everything." Until you see the figures of the sheer mass of homeless people with jobs. Then suddenly that isn't so viable.

Walking up stairs doesn't fix an unhealthy childhood, a lack of emphasis growing up on nutrition, social and peer pressure, and unconscious habit. Even healthy people tend to under estimate the calories they take in. Most people are not well educated in nutrition, and many girls are not encouraged to do things like work out at the gym--and it can seem really daunting to practically starve yourself on salads all the time while others your age with luckier genes are grubbin' like they're getting the needle the next day.

Barring emotional issues and medical issues, the people you socialize with a lot have a huge influence on your diet and lifestyle. She's young. Young people aren't really known for caring about their diet and nutritional health long term.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9134520AARVEZk

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    yupp

You don't know what other shit someone has going on so it's not fair to shun them cuz of their size. or go eww gross fatty eat a salad! you don't know what fucking underlying conditions are going on. My rule of thumb is to never comment on anyones weight good or bed.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sp/sx

It’s essentially a complicated version of the rights of the individual versus state control. The problem is measuring culpability. How much is the individuals fault, or the state for having a poorly regulated food industry, how much are the companies that push their products on to people to blame? And at the end of the day if the state in turn has to pay for the care of said individual, does that not mean they should have a say? The problem like most in life is in a grey area, the solution is likely to be one in the goldilocks zone; were the individual is to a certain degree at fault, but the state takes some responsibility, and the corporations are held within reason accountable for the outcome.
    “Brighter, now brighter, pay no mind to those who squint, burn with all your heat.”

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Mobius View Post
    It’s essentially a complicated version of the rights of the individual versus state control. The problem is measuring culpability. How much is the individuals fault, or the state for having a poorly regulated food industry, how much are the companies that push their products on to people to blame? And at the end of the day if the state in turn has to pay for the care of said individual, does that not mean they should have a say? The problem like most in life is in a grey area, the solution is likely to be one in the goldilocks zone; were the individual is to a certain degree at fault, but the state takes some responsibility, and the corporations are held within reason accountable for the outcome.
    It really isn't a gray area here. The state is not paying for things--the people pay the state via taxes.

My mother gets looks from people all the time for being 'obese', despite the fact she works out longer, harder, eats better, and puts more active effort into her health than they ever have in their lives. Most 56 year olds would NOT be doing p90x at their age. My mother does, though, and for the entire hour 15 to hour 30. She walks everywhere, doesn't even use her handicap parking she was awarded unless she needs to, and completely changed her diet to eat clean and wholesome foods with natural sugars and all that bullshit.

The state absolutely does NOT have a say in how healthy people can be because PEOPLE don't have a say in how healthy they are. They can only manage it to a certain extent--and that health status changes each day. Diet and exercise doesn't fix every illness in the world. Healthy people get sick too.

I am all for proper education, educational programs and health programs, and even incentives for healthy lifestyles. But I am not for rewarding people born with better genes than others. I am about to let a state representative tell my mother she's obese when she's eating clean food and managing her weight with more precision than some skinny-fat guy that can eat a burger whenever he wants.

MBTI
    yupp

you know if healthy weight was deemed medically unfit and obese weight was deemed medically fit we'd see people being like wtf put that carrot down eat a cheeseburger! so really it's all perspective of what the medical community says. so the point is we're all gonna die and you being ideal weight isn't gonna save you in the long run. plus to live with some of you people that long i think i'd hang myself around age 80

I don't agree with the premise. I think obesity is one of the last acceptable prejudices.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    It really isn't a gray area here. The state is not paying for things--the people pay the state via taxes.
    To be fair that would only be true in a state without debt, where they weren’t borrowing money for their residents. Last time I checked there were only a handful of countries who could claim that

Secondly I think we had a misunderstanding I said “if the state has to pay.” I was referring to universal healthcare, because obesity is a global problem, something I can attest to being from a country that has on occasion claimed the top rank on the obesity chart.

My mother gets looks from people all the time for being 'obese', despite the fact she works out longer, harder, eats better, and puts more active effort into her health than they ever have in their lives. Most 56 year olds would NOT be doing p90x at their age. My mother does, though, and for the entire hour 15 to hour 30. She walks everywhere, doesn't even use her handicap parking she was awarded unless she needs to, and completely changed her diet to eat clean and wholesome foods with natural sugars and all that bullshit.
    I’m sorry that your mother has to put up with that. I’m sorry I have absolutely no idea how I’m supposed to respond to this.

I am all for proper education, educational programs and health programs, and even incentives for healthy lifestyles. But I am not for rewarding people born with better genes than others. I am about to let a state representative tell my mother she's obese when she's eating clean food and managing her weight with more precision than some skinny-fat guy that can eat a burger whenever he wants.
    The bolded was what I was talking about when I said the state should take some responsibility. along with reviewing the regulation around the food industry, and putting in incentives for food companies to produce healthier products.

I think I should explain what I mean by grey area. I mean that there are no black and white answers, as in if we do this and that bam we’ve solved the problem. That it would take the individual and the state, and the food industry to reduce the number of obese people.
    “Brighter, now brighter, pay no mind to those who squint, burn with all your heat.”