First 210111213 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Depending on your optimism level, you could say they beat anorexia.
    I saw an overweight guy with a really big belly wearing an I BEAT ANOREXIA shirt in Target one day! Had me in fits of giggles.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    I saw an overweight guy with a really big belly wearing an I BEAT ANOREXIA shirt in Target one day! Had me in fits of giggles.
    Lol, awesome.

I'd bet that guy enjoys life much better than people who complain about the obesity of other people on the interwebs.

Stansmith

While I'm sure that this has been discussed to death already, I don't think people should feel the need to make such judgments unless its out of genuine concern for a loved one's health......I'm aware that most of the time people say things of that nature just to shoot the breeze, and that's fine, it doesn't make bad people, but I personally don't see the value in doing so.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by danseen View Post
    er.... a person's stomach goes back to a normal size, dependent on the amount of food consumed.

sorry, but then nobody needs to be obese. i don't get why being healthy should deter that fact..
    Eventually, but it can take up to a year of healthy eating before their bodies realize they are taking in adequate calories and get used to the new diet.

I agree with you 100%, being obese is not okay. I have a really hard time calling it a medical condition, because in most instances it is completely self-induced. I just think it is far more complicated than just "eat less fatty food." A lot of the time it's also a coping mechanism for other things. People joke about "eating their feelings," but so many people actually do that.
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

Quote Originally Posted by danseen View Post
    er.... yeah, freedom is absolute.

Is it "inherently illiberal" to ban anything? Even if it's in the best interest of society?

I'm a libertarian though, so I don't support banning anything that harms person or property.

It's the only way to curb the obesity epidemic, but yeah, doing things for the interest of society is evil... haha.. got it...
    A libertarian that wants to ban fatty foods.

Reminds me of some of my favorite people - vegetarian heroin addicts. "How can you put that into your body?!"
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    A libertarian that wants to ban fatty foods.

Reminds me of some of my favorite people - vegetarian heroin addicts. "How can you put that into your body?!"
    Humans contradict.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Lol, awesome.

I'd bet that guy enjoys life much better than people who complain about the obesity of other people on the interwebs.
    Ain't that the truth.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post

But, I guess no animals were harmed in the making of the heroin... Just possibly human beings whose family's were killed by drug cartels.
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

Socionics
    ILI

I would think that Obesity would be more tolerated because it is easier to gain weight than lose weight.

Personally, I am against the restriction of any foods or beverages simply based on the fact that these people choose to eat or drink what they want, they aren't helpless, and we don't need the government controlling our diet and how we use our bodies. Everyone knows the risks of over-indulging or under-indulging.

- Libertarian

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    Si
    Socionics
    ESTP

There is a social problem to obesity. It's entirely rational to tell someone that they're obese and need to lose weight to avoid health consequences, but it's not socially acceptable, because obesity is deforming according to western beauty standards. So from there comes the "fat-shaming" and other stuff. Another related issue I see is that there is an economical aspect. It's useful for the medical and weight-loss industries to not seriously challenge weight-problems in the demographic, but obesity is also a major problem for employers. But, i'm not that familiar with the US so I won't analyze it in-depth. Globally speaking obesity is increasing because of the increasing consumption of junk-foods aswell as more sedentary lifestyles, the internet and gaming doesn't help either.

Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    I would think that Obesity would be more tolerated because it is easier to gain weight than lose weight.

Personally, I am against the restriction of any foods or beverages simply based on the fact that these people choose to eat or drink what they want, they aren't helpless, and we don't need the government controlling our diet and how we use our bodies. Everyone knows the risks of over-indulging or under-indulging.

- Libertarian
    The problem isn't that the government is controlling the food supply. The problem is that food industry isn't transparent enough for people to understand consequences of their eating. Besides there has been scandals in the past where the governments regulatory organs, like FDA, lied or distorted information about compounds that are probably dangerous or deleterious to health, and used food production. I'm fine with people choosing to eat what they want, but I think it's dishonest that capitalists get to lie about the products they sell. The USA's lack of proper transport infrastructure also adds to the problem.
    "Where can you flee? What road will you use to escape us? Our horses are swift, our arrows sharp, our swords like thunderbolts, our hearts as hard as the mountains, our soldiers as numerous as the sand. Fortresses will not detain us, nor arms stop us. Your prayers to God will not avail against us. We are not moved by tears nor touched by lamentations."