User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Poor Neil.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFp None

Whatever problems I have with the Fat Acceptance movement, I have to say that obesity isn't really tolerated, especially in women. It bothers me that so many people are eager to place weight, appetite, and self-regulation outside of their locus of control, but at the same time it's their choice and I really won't gain anything by trying to convince them otherwise. And body diversity really doesn't account for the prevalence of obesity and the unprecedented enormity of certain members of the population we find today (many of whom have no medical condition that lead them to weigh as much a grand piano).

Moreover, obesity is a problem that in most cases can be rectified through small changes over a long period of time without many adverse health effects (formerly/currently obese women may be contributing to children who are more prone to sugar addiction and that may lead to more childhood obesity, but the evidence isn't all there yet). It's much less of a health issue than smoking, drug addictions, or alcoholism, which are all more tolerated, imo. And those things can actually effect other people negatively.
    Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness." ― Kurt Vonnegut

ENFP. 7w6 – 4w3 – 1w9 sx/so. Aries. Dilettante. Overly anxious optimist.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by SophiaDeep View Post
    This is a thing that is going through my mind for a quite time. Obesity is NOT a comsetic problem, or a beauty problem as a lot of people seem to see it this way. Obesity is a serious health problem and it's still tolerated like nothing happens. When you have an obese kid in the class your parents usually tell you not to make a fun of him, because you could hurt his feelings. But it's totally fine to tell a skinny person, he's skinny. Or it's fine to tell someone who is underweight "you look like anorexic" , but it's not okay to tell an obese kid he's obese...What's wrong?
    Well I've long thought that fatty foods should be banned. But then I people will cite "I eat what the fuck I want!", and I'd reply "well yeah, freedom to eat is NOT better than an unhealthy and unproductive society.."

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Why do we allow people to be rude and hurtful to others, considering the damage it inflicts upon those other people?
    Why do we allow people to underachieve, considering how much they could contribute to society?
    Why do we allow people to surgically alter their bodies for cosmetic purposes, considering the amount of trauma it puts on the body and the risk the anaesthesia forms?
    Why do we allow people to be religious considering the hate, propaganda an tyranny it has historically spouted?

All for the same reason:

Because people have a right to make THEIR OWN mistakes. And hopefully learn from them at their own pace, in their own time.

And because demanding that they stop doing [insert any of the above including the OP] will not make it so. On the contrary. For every action, there is a reaction.

For that matter, why should the people who demand this of others be allowed to do so when they are so keen on telling others what is not allowed? Just because their particular gripe with others makes them uncomfortable?

Time to join the 'fatties', religious fundamentalists, self-doubters, callous jerks and insecure in the learning circle and deal with your own issue concerning others not addressing their issues to set the example.

Irony is such a sweet thing.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INTP

If it forces them to lose weight, meh, who cares..

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by danseen View Post
    It might not force them to lose weight though. For a lot of people it's the amount they are eating, not what they are eating. You can easily still be obese by eating excessive amounts of generally healthy foods. Especially if you are eating calorie dense ones like nuts, dried fruit, avocado, etc. With people who have been obese for a substantial amount of time their stomach is stretched and used to a certain amount of food. So, they will constantly feel hunger even if they have consumed an adequate amount of calories.
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram

Or, if like many people who are overweight that have addictive behaviours surrounding eating, it could lower their self esteem making them more anxious thus triggering them to eat more.

This video made me laugh because my name is Neil; however I have an opposite weight problem, I have to keep myself from being underweight.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tell me about the fucking golf shoes!

"I don't wear a toupee!" Donald Trump

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Qrious View Post
    Because taking on a system, rather than an individual, is a more daunting task.
    Yea. It's easier for people to stick their thumbs in their ears, wiggle their fingers and screech "FATTTTY!" then to actually address the real issue.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

Well I've long thought that fatty foods should be banned. But then I people will cite "I eat what the fuck I want!", and I'd reply "well yeah, freedom to eat is NOT better than an unhealthy and unproductive society.."
    Instead of banging your head against a wall, maybe you just need to find a society that better reflects the way you think.

Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

People don't like being made fun of cuz they're fat.

Bitches need to nut up and get thin. Lifestyle change.

But at the same time, people should be more supportive. But not tolerant.