User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Default allergic to a house can't move

Whenever I'm home I cough up lungs and it's bad enough that I can't breathe most of the time. I cough to the point of throwing up sometimes. I also seem to get better when I'm out of the house, Claritin doesn't work and Zyrtec makes me manic so I'm scared to try other OTC allergy meds but I'm miserable. I woke up last night and it felt like my throat was closed off (it wasn't I could still breathe a little bit) any thing I can do to make it through the nights without waking up coughing really bad. I started going to a pulmonologist and he's going to run tests. My lungs are clear

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

What about allergen shots? Would that help?

I'm also living in a house where I am allergic to the pets inside. Things I do to help a ton:
    - My room is a pet-free zone.
    - I constantly clean the floors, dust, etc. the house. It never seems to stay clean longer than 2 hours, but I do clean it a lot to keep the pet dander down. I usually feel like garbage after this--a hot shower helps immediately after cleaning.
    - I always run the washing machine on a self-clean cycle before I wash my laundry after people in the house.
    - I use saline nose washes, 2 hot showers a day, and anti-itch lotions to keep myself from feeling too icky.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Is the house dusty? Have you considered cleaning the carpets to remove some of the allergens? Or maybe getting an air purifier. Also, if you want an alternative to Zyrtec and Claritin, take a look at quercetin. Go read some of the reviews on Amazon. It's supposed to do the same thing. Good luck.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    Is the house dusty? Have you considered cleaning the carpets to remove some of the allergens? Or maybe getting an air purifier. Also, if you want an alternative to Zyrtec and Claritin, take a look at quercetin. Go read some of the reviews on Amazon. It's supposed to do the same thing. Good luck.
    It gets a thoruough cleaning once a week. But yeah I'll look into that.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

I'm having the same problem! I just moved into a new apartment and I cough all the time, and many times I wake up in the middle of the night having a reaction with my face swollen. I'm having some tests done next month to see if that can help with figuring out what the hell I'm reacting to. It's frustrating, I know.

Have you tried Singulair? That seems to help me the most in decreasing my reaction, but I'm pretty sure you need a prescription for that. Zyrtec also helps me, but you said you react badly to that.

Edit: Also, maybe Benadryl would help. It didn't for me, but maybe you'd have a better outcome. Try taking it at night before bed since it makes you drowsy.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."--Ambrose Redmoon

. . . metamorphosing . . .

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

If you're open to natural medicine, you might try stinging nettle (AKA plain "nettle"). A family I know swears by it for their allergies. And one time I took a dose, and three hours later I happened to get stung by a bee, and I had almost no reaction or pain from it, which isn't normal for me. Here is some medical info about it in case you're interested.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."--Ambrose Redmoon

. . . metamorphosing . . .

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Hey purple, I use lots of air purifiers myself. You can get a rather small one for 30ish bucks? It should make a difference in a room as small as a bedroom. (I tried looking it up on Amazon just now and stupid Amazon won't load for me....but I think small ones are around 30 bucks).

And if your insurance is pretty good, it's a really good idea to get allergy tested. Because it's super helpful to know WHAT you're allergic to. Also, if this is about breathing problems, they can maybe prescribe something more effective than just antihistamine. My son grew up with bad allergies and asthma- I remember him taking some prescription for the breathing problems, it wasn't antihistamine. Knowing specifically what he was allergic to, though, was incredibly helpful.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    Hey purple, I use lots of air purifiers myself. You can get a rather small one for 30ish bucks? It should make a difference in a room as small as a bedroom. (I tried looking it up on Amazon just now and stupid Amazon won't load for me....but I think small ones are around 30 bucks).

And if your insurance is pretty good, it's a really good idea to get allergy tested. Because it's super helpful to know WHAT you're allergic to. Also, if this is about breathing problems, they can maybe prescribe something more effective than just antihistamine. My son grew up with bad allergies and asthma- I remember him taking some prescription for the breathing problems, it wasn't antihistamine. Knowing specifically what he was allergic to, though, was incredibly helpful.
    I don't know if it's an allergy or something else, I'm seeing a pulmonologist right now but they only move so fast. I went in to a clinice for a cough and got refered. I've had it for over a year (But i've lived in two different places) and the lung x-ray was clear so he wants to get a cat scan of my lungs. But right now they suspect either allergy or mild asthma. the symptoms get worse when i'm home, that's why i think it's an allergy

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Are they (clinic) the ones who suggested antihistamine?
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    Are they (clinic) the ones who suggested antihistamine?
    no. I just went to the clinic a week ago. I've just tried claritin and zyrtec in the past for seasonal allergies. Haven't tried any thing for this cough except they did put me on steroids for a week. But my throat still swelled the other night and i didn't eat anything strange. I don't know I can't explain because i have no fucking clue what's going on or why I've had a cough for so long. and it's not a normal smokers cough it's i throw up because i cough so hard. like people are like oh you wouldn't cough if you didn't smoke. maybe not as bad. I was forced to get the cough checked out. I was fine not going now i'm all worried and it's probably nothing. fuck this shit.