• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

allergic to a house can't move

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Whenever I'm home I cough up lungs and it's bad enough that I can't breathe most of the time. I cough to the point of throwing up sometimes. I also seem to get better when I'm out of the house, Claritin doesn't work and Zyrtec makes me manic so I'm scared to try other OTC allergy meds but I'm miserable. I woke up last night and it felt like my throat was closed off (it wasn't I could still breathe a little bit) any thing I can do to make it through the nights without waking up coughing really bad. I started going to a pulmonologist and he's going to run tests. My lungs are clear

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
What about allergen shots? Would that help?

I'm also living in a house where I am allergic to the pets inside. Things I do to help a ton:
- My room is a pet-free zone.
- I constantly clean the floors, dust, etc. the house. It never seems to stay clean longer than 2 hours, but I do clean it a lot to keep the pet dander down. I usually feel like garbage after this--a hot shower helps immediately after cleaning.
- I always run the washing machine on a self-clean cycle before I wash my laundry after people in the house.
- I use saline nose washes, 2 hot showers a day, and anti-itch lotions to keep myself from feeling too icky.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Is the house dusty? Have you considered cleaning the carpets to remove some of the allergens? Or maybe getting an air purifier. Also, if you want an alternative to Zyrtec and Claritin, take a look at quercetin. Go read some of the reviews on Amazon. It's supposed to do the same thing. Good luck.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Is the house dusty? Have you considered cleaning the carpets to remove some of the allergens? Or maybe getting an air purifier. Also, if you want an alternative to Zyrtec and Claritin, take a look at quercetin. Go read some of the reviews on Amazon. It's supposed to do the same thing. Good luck.
It gets a thoruough cleaning once a week. But yeah I'll look into that.

SubtleFighter

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm having the same problem! I just moved into a new apartment and I cough all the time, and many times I wake up in the middle of the night having a reaction with my face swollen. I'm having some tests done next month to see if that can help with figuring out what the hell I'm reacting to. It's frustrating, I know.

Have you tried Singulair? That seems to help me the most in decreasing my reaction, but I'm pretty sure you need a prescription for that. Zyrtec also helps me, but you said you react badly to that.

Edit: Also, maybe Benadryl would help. It didn't for me, but maybe you'd have a better outcome. Try taking it at night before bed since it makes you drowsy.

SubtleFighter

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If you're open to natural medicine, you might try stinging nettle (AKA plain "nettle"). A family I know swears by it for their allergies. And one time I took a dose, and three hours later I happened to get stung by a bee, and I had almost no reaction or pain from it, which isn't normal for me. Here is some medical info about it in case you're interested.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hey purple, I use lots of air purifiers myself. You can get a rather small one for 30ish bucks? It should make a difference in a room as small as a bedroom. (I tried looking it up on Amazon just now and stupid Amazon won't load for me....but I think small ones are around 30 bucks).

And if your insurance is pretty good, it's a really good idea to get allergy tested. Because it's super helpful to know WHAT you're allergic to. Also, if this is about breathing problems, they can maybe prescribe something more effective than just antihistamine. My son grew up with bad allergies and asthma- I remember him taking some prescription for the breathing problems, it wasn't antihistamine. Knowing specifically what he was allergic to, though, was incredibly helpful.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Hey purple, I use lots of air purifiers myself. You can get a rather small one for 30ish bucks? It should make a difference in a room as small as a bedroom. (I tried looking it up on Amazon just now and stupid Amazon won't load for me....but I think small ones are around 30 bucks).

And if your insurance is pretty good, it's a really good idea to get allergy tested. Because it's super helpful to know WHAT you're allergic to. Also, if this is about breathing problems, they can maybe prescribe something more effective than just antihistamine. My son grew up with bad allergies and asthma- I remember him taking some prescription for the breathing problems, it wasn't antihistamine. Knowing specifically what he was allergic to, though, was incredibly helpful.

I don't know if it's an allergy or something else, I'm seeing a pulmonologist right now but they only move so fast. I went in to a clinice for a cough and got refered. I've had it for over a year (But i've lived in two different places) and the lung x-ray was clear so he wants to get a cat scan of my lungs. But right now they suspect either allergy or mild asthma. the symptoms get worse when i'm home, that's why i think it's an allergy

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are they (clinic) the ones who suggested antihistamine?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Are they (clinic) the ones who suggested antihistamine?
no. I just went to the clinic a week ago. I've just tried claritin and zyrtec in the past for seasonal allergies. Haven't tried any thing for this cough except they did put me on steroids for a week. But my throat still swelled the other night and i didn't eat anything strange. I don't know I can't explain because i have no fucking clue what's going on or why I've had a cough for so long. and it's not a normal smokers cough it's i throw up because i cough so hard. like people are like oh you wouldn't cough if you didn't smoke. maybe not as bad. I was forced to get the cough checked out. I was fine not going now i'm all worried and it's probably nothing. fuck this shit.

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh! Something else you can do, if you like tea- drinking either peppermint tea, or any kind of mint tea, always helps open my breathing passages when I'm sick. (I hate the coughing, I almost always pull a muscle in my chest when I get a cough.) And it helped my son too, with his breathing problems- I added copious amounts of honey so that it would taste good enough for him to drink it.

Breathe Easy works especially well:

50770b3133f1f.png

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
no. I just went to the clinic a week ago. I've just tried claritin and zyrtec in the past for seasonal allergies. Haven't tried any thing for this cough except they did put me on steroids for a week. But my throat still swelled the other night and i didn't eat anything strange. I don't know I can't explain because i have no fucking clue what's going on or why I've had a cough for so long. and it's not a normal smokers cough it's i throw up because i cough so hard. like people are like oh you wouldn't cough if you didn't smoke. maybe not as bad. I was forced to get the cough checked out. I was fine not going now i'm all worried and it's probably nothing. fuck this shit.

Well I could be wrong, but I don't think antihistamines would do a whole lot for a cough, even if it's allergies. Have you actually seen the pulmonologist yet, or are you still waiting for that appointment?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Well I could be wrong, but I don't think antihistamines would do a whole lot for a cough, even if it's allergies. Have you actually seen the pulmonologist yet, or are you still waiting for that appointment?

I've seen him. he wanted my chest x-rays (which i dropped off yesterday) and wants to do a cat scan of my chest. I just don't think they're gonna find anything. This is why I don't go to doctors. I feel like it's a waste of everyone's time, and it makes me worry. I mean people are like OMG a SNIFFLE I NEED ANTIBIOTICS> and I'm like you pussy, you're an otherwise healthy adult just drink some tea and get bed rest and you'll be fine in a day or two.

R

RDF

Coughs come from lots of things. Coughs at night can be due to post-nasal drip irritating and drying out the back of your throat and esophagus. That particular problem tends to be worst in spring & fall (pollen in spring, moldy fallen leaves in autumn; mowed grass can also be a problem in summer). I use Allegra* at those times to help dry out the sinuses and stop the post-nasal drip. Then you also can get coughs in winter from lack of humidity in heated air in houses in the north or from dry, dusty air in summer in the south.

When cough drops and medicines aren’t working, here’s a quick low-tech, all-natural fix: Steam your throat and lungs.

Make a megaphone out of a cardboard folder with a mouth-sized hole at the top. Then boil water in a tea kettle with the burner on high; once the water is boiling, take off the top of the tea kettle and turn the burner down to medium-high; put the megaphone over the top of the kettle, and breath the hot, steamy air. It may cause you to cough up some phlegm at first, but keep breathing the steam for about 5-10 minutes at a sitting. Don't fry your mouth and lungs with the steam, but try to make the steam as hot and thick as you can stand it. It's great for moistening and soothing the back of your throat, esophagus, and your lungs.

Try this at bedtime and then again whenever the cough wakes you at night. If it helps out, then do it once in the morning each day during spring and fall just to keep the back of your throat and your lungs moist and healthy.

I steam my lungs whenever I have one of those real bad deep-seated chest colds during flu season, and it’s the only thing that allows me to get a few hours of peaceful rest. And then I also steam my lungs occasionally in spring and fall to ward off allergy-related coughs. (I’m an ex-smoker.)

* Personally I prefer Allegra (generic: fexofenadine hydrochloride) over Zyrtec or Claritin because Allegra works great without making me feel stoned or jittery.

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've seen him. he wanted my chest x-rays (which i dropped off yesterday) and wants to do a cat scan of my chest. I just don't think they're gonna find anything. This is why I don't go to doctors. I feel like it's a waste of everyone's time, and it makes me worry. I mean people are like OMG a SNIFFLE I NEED ANTIBIOTICS> and I'm like you pussy, you're an otherwise healthy adult just drink some tea and get bed rest and you'll be fine in a day or two.

I don't like going to doctors either. I don't mean to sound all parent-y, but I'd still keep going to see if they can figure out what's wrong.

FLD's advice is something I do too, when I'm sick. I boil a pot of water- then bring it over to the coffee table and lean over it, covering my head and the pot with a towel. (His way sounds easier.) It helps to loosen up the phlegm so that you can cough it up more easily and get rid of it.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
All of the above sound like good things to try, especially nettle. Learn to identify it in the wild, and you might be able to find it for free!

Eating 1 tablespoon per day of raw organic honey harvested in your area might help too if your allergies are due to certain pollen types.

Make sure your furnace/air conditioner filters are cleaned or replaced often.

Maybe you're allergic to cats, and someone lived there with cats before?

Mold spores are always present indoors and outdoors, but some people are more sensitive to them. And, they can build up if there's much mold growing inside the house due to higher humidity or condensation in or on the walls or insulation. What is the humidity level inside your house? Definitely keep it below 60% with a dehumidifier, but ideally below 50%. Vent the bathroom while showering or bathing, and vent the kitchen while cooking. Open a window if no vent. Get as much fresh air into the house as often and as constantly as possible and reasonable. One way to do this is to leave a bathroom vent fan on while you're home.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm not allergic to cats, I grew up around them. here's a picture of a cat that comes and visits, she's a sweety. wish I could let her in, but she belongs to someone else. and the person who owns the house is allergic and would probably kill me. If she wasn't allergic I'd hide her in my closet.
1465248_10100578607478257_25878364_n.jpg
I need to name her

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
OMG! That's a black panther kitten! It must have escaped from a local zoo!

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is there decent air flow in the house? Does opening some windows help?