User Tag List

MBTI
    yupp

Default what fruits and juices are considered acidic?

I'm suppose to give them up but I don't know what they are.

Phantonym

If it tastes sour, it's acidic. Their pH level differs, so the lower it is, the more acid they contain. pH level of 7 is considered neutral.

Here's a short list of the pH values of some foods.

The pH level of lemon and lime juice is approximately 2.00-2.80, and you know they're really sour, so they're acidic.

Apples and apple juice are a bit sweeter, but still considered acidic.

Melon and watermelon are closer to neutral.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Lemon juice is so acidic it can stain many types of stainless steel...

Yeah, Phantomym has covered it pretty well.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Related, I just had fresh kiwi fruit, and by the end of two of them (they're not that big), my tongue and lips were bleeding a little. Acidity-related? Perhaps--I didn't think they were that acidic, but maybe my body is just sensitive to that kind of thing now. However, I eat fresh oranges, and that never happens.

The kiwi tasted good, though.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Related, I just had fresh kiwi fruit, and by the end of two of them (they're not that big), my tongue and lips were bleeding a little. Acidity-related? Perhaps--I didn't think they were that acidic, but maybe my body is just sensitive to that kind of thing now. However, I eat fresh oranges, and that never happens.

The kiwi tasted good, though.
    yeah sounds like you're probably alergic to kiwi, which sucks cuz it's pretty and delicious

All citrus fruits and citrus fruits juices are acidic to some extent.
    Orange, lemon, grapefruit, green mango, kiwi, and grapes are considered acidic fruits.
    Last edited by Laurence125; 03-29-2014 at 03:39 AM.
    Adam Prowse Personal Trainer,
    2/539 High Street Maitland,
    New South Wales 2320, Australia

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Most fruits are acidic. It's rare for any to be basic. At best they'll be at neutral pH.

If you're really concerned, by pH paper on amazon or something and just test fruits you are interested in eating.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

If it tastes sour, it's acidic. Their pH level differs, so the lower it is, the more acid they contain. pH level of 7 is considered neutral.
    All citrus fruits and citrus fruits juices are acidic to some extent.
    Orange, lemon, grapefruit, green mango, kiwi, and grapes are considered acidic fruits.
    Actually, studies show that while limes and lemons are acidic, they are metabolized as alkaline.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

The question is why you're avoiding them/giving them up. If it's because of medicines, then eliminating citrus will probably do it (grapefruit especially).. Kiwi and watermelon are acidic, but they aren't what's going to cause bad reactions to medications. Grapefruit is the prime culprit, and lemons and limes could be an issue. A little won't kill you, but they'd have to be highly diluted (i.e. a slice of unsqueezed lemon in water soaking for 5-10 minutes will be fine.)

If it's for dental health, a straw and cup of swishing water will do you a world better than giving up fruit entirely. Blend it, drink it through a straw, and swish your mouth with water after you stop drinking and when you're done with every meal.

If it's because of food intolerance, then honestly acidic fruit might not be the only thing you're intolerant to.. There are step-down diets that have you eating the most agreeable, plain food.. and each week you introduce something new into it, and see how your body reacts to it. It's the most logical, methodical way to figure out what you're intolerant to.. but it also is a long process, and requires a lot of effort and time to put into.

I'd do two things in this case:
    I'd work backwards--and just cut out citrus, and see how it goes, then if you're still having x reactions, try cutting out something else like milk and see if it changes. If the issues stop, see if citrus coming back will cause it to happen again.
    I'd eliminate and be mindful of bad food combinations. http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-3615/...ur-Health.html This guide is particularly hippy, but it's easy to read.. there are smaller increments one can work with.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge