User Tag List

123 Last

Default Is modern medicine based on flawed scientific premises?

What if modern medicine were based on a divergent branch of science whose objectivity was tainted by egos and people who used their power to enforce the truth as they see it?

From The Lost History of Medicine:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Germ Theory

Everyone has heard of Louis Pasteur. He is considered the father of the Germ Theory of Medicine and he
    invented the process of pasteurization. Despite the simple fact that the Germ Theory of Medicine was at
    least a hundred years older than Pasteur, his experiments that supposedly "proved" this theory have
    established him as a cornerstone in Modern Medical History.

Too bad much of his work was plagiarized and totally unscientific.

What most of us don’t know about Pasteur is that throughout his career, he too often doubted his
    assumptions. On his death bed, he even recanted saying the Germ Theory was all wrong: "It’s the
    terrain, not the germ."

But did we hear his last words? No.

Germs Do Not Cause Disease

The most telling "concept" that has ever crossed my desk is the quotation Dr Young uses right at the
    beginning of his book, Sick and Tired:

If I could live my life over again, I would devote it to proving that germs seek their natural
    habitat—diseased tissue—rather than being the cause of the diseased tissue; e.g., mosquitoes
    seek the stagnant water, but do not cause the pool to become stagnant. Rudolph Virchow
    (Father of Pathology)

Do you understand the importance of this? When I read this quotation for the first time, it hit me like a
    brick. I’ve always known the terrain was the key, but I had always thought of the terrain as the immune
    system. I had had no idea that the proper terrain alone was, by itself, enough for perfect health. Nor had
    it ever occurred to me that the immune system was merely a backup system that took over when the
    terrain failed.

So, Béchamp was, in effect, telling Pasteur that his experiments proved nothing because it poisoned the
    experimental animal’s terrain, hence allowing the germs to attack the diseased tissues caused by the
    poisoning.

Before we go any further, we need to know this…

Take a banana and place it on a counter next to a piece of cheese. Place a glass over the cheese so it
    doesn't dry out too quickly. Now watch them both over the over the next few days. What do you think
    will happen? The banana starts to turn black and the cheese begins to mold. They go bad. They rot.

Now slice open the cheese. Inside, no mold. Slice open the banana. It's rotten inside. Smell the banana
    and you'll smell a hint of alcohol. It's fermenting.

Something that perhaps only a few of you already knew is: The cheese molds from the outside in, but
    the banana rots from the inside out.

The banana was alive. The cheese is not alive.

Every living thing comes equipped with it’s own janitorial service that goes to work when it dies. They
    are programmed to clean up the mess our dead bodies leave behind.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm especially interested in hearing thoughts from: @nonsequitur @Qre:us @Usehername @Coriolis @Inari Love @Ene @alcea rosea @Scott N Denver @greenfairy
    Likes Thalassa liked this post

your resident asshole

Well this is a weird thought experiment. If I understand you correctly, we could really say this about anything.

What if our understanding of electricity is completely "false?" Etc.

I'm not quite sure what we're going with this.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    You should design a program that @Mention invites people to respond with their thoughts on their work projects. I am soo much more motivated to spend an hour reading, researching, and responding to this, surely because of the social invite, than I am motivated to focus on my own work for the day. I'm not going to actually spend time here; I'm going to do my work. But this seems like a money-making opportunity. Go, programmer, go!

I am very intrigued. But I am trying to not feed my wandering habits.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    What if our understanding of electricity is completely "false?" Etc.
    It will no doubt have shocking results!

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    You should design a program that @Mention invites people to respond with their thoughts on their work projects. I am soo much more motivated to spend an hour reading, researching, and responding to this, surely because of the social invite, than I am motivated to focus on my own work for the day. I'm not going to actually spend time here; I'm going to do my work. But this seems like a money-making opportunity. Go, programmer, go!

I am very intrigued. But I am trying to not feed my wandering habits.
    I like it!
    @Usehername: Post what productive things you did instead of reading about this thread topic.

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Holistic medicine teaches that everything is energy. Bodies are energy condensed to a low vibrational level, and living bodies are systems of energy balance. Energy goes in, it does work to maintain balance in response to stimuli, then it is released. Health is when the system is at a high level of energy balancing functionality, and unhealthy when these mechanisms are not efficient. Energy balance occurs at all levels of being- physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, psychological, social, governed by chakras (in the Hindu system), or energy centers (which specialize in areas of energy balance). When the chakras are balanced health is high; when they are off balance health is low and energy is erratic or low. Traditional Chinese Medicine has a similar theory with qi. Concrete physical conditions such as environmental pollution, food quality, fitness, pathogens, etc. are factors in health, but do not constitute the whole picture. These things being in a negative state can cause disease and death, and in a positive state are necessary for health, but the energy balancing system is very resilient. The more developed the energy balancing system the more stress it can handle, because it can take in a large volume of imbalanced energy and balance it, converting it into positive energy the body can use.

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    Holistic medicine teaches that everything is energy. Bodies are energy condensed to a low vibrational level, and living bodies are systems of energy balance. Energy goes in, it does work to maintain balance in response to stimuli, then it is released. Health is when the system is at a high level of energy balancing functionality, and unhealthy when these mechanisms are not efficient. Energy balance occurs at all levels of being- physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, psychological, social, governed by chakras (in the Hindu system), or energy centers (which specialize in areas of energy balance). When the chakras are balanced health is high; when they are off balance health is low and energy is erratic or low. Traditional Chinese Medicine has a similar theory with qi. Concrete physical conditions such as environmental pollution, food quality, fitness, pathogens, etc. are factors in health, but do not constitute the whole picture. These things being in a negative state can cause disease and death, and in a positive state are necessary for health, but the energy balancing system is very resilient. The more developed the energy balancing system the more stress it can handle, because it can take in a large volume of imbalanced energy and balance it, converting it into positive energy the body can use.
    That's all fine and dandy. But there's a reason why we live longer today than ever before. There are no such things as "chakras" and "qi," and any of that energy nonsense.

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    That's all fine and dandy. But there's a reason why we live longer today than ever before. There are no such things as "chakras" and "qi," and any of that energy nonsense.
    I think you'll find the reasons we live longer than in the past are contained in what I wrote, if you look closely. And energy isn't just a theory; in classical physics mass and energy are interchangeable. The way people understand it is what is in dispute, but in some sense it is indisputable that everything is energy.

What do you think energy is then? Do you understand physics? Nutrition talks about food in terms of energy input and output. Why should food be energy but our bodies not be? Our bodies are energy input for other organisms. Adequate nutrition is a question of proper energy balance. It's really not a stretch to say that psychology is energy balance.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

there'snoneedtobeupsetthere'snoneedtobeupsetthere' snoneedtobeupsetthere'snoneedtobeupsetthere'snonee dtobeupsetthere'snoneedtobeupsetTHERE'SNONEEDTOBEU PSET

*breathesintopaperbag*

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I think it's pretty keen that an entire field based on a mistaken premise has been so effective.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

It's total nonsense. Dangerous nonsense I should even say.

This plea for "alternative medecines" is extremely suspect in its origin, given the weird and wild theories it pretends to describe.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI