User Tag List

First 678

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    593 sp/so

So are you looking for the grand unifying theory of health and wellness? Whatever it is, it does not have to say that bacteria, viruses, protozoa, etc don't cause disease. (The great majority of them do not, that is correct, but many do.) Newtons laws still hold up after 19th and 20th century advancements in scientific knowledge. Much of what you've posted is about what we can be doing better. Doctors over-prescribe antibiotics. No shit. That doesn't mean that the idea of healing a person with a parasitic bacterial infection with an antibiotic (when we know exactly what the chemical does to halt the growth of its target organism) goes out the window.

Hopefully we will move beyond traditional antimicrobials. I tend to think the ongoing struggle with these types of disease will not end in our lifetimes. I just have to say that the "Germ Theory is wrong" statement really grinds my gears. I'll accept "the Germ Theory leaves much to be desired in terms of explaining everything that goes wrong with us."
    5w6 - 9w8 - 3w2

Words are wind.

Quote Originally Posted by kquirk View Post
    So are you looking for the grand unifying theory of health and wellness?
    Yes, but it's a little too lofty. I'd say I'm just looking for the next step in that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by kquirk View Post
    That doesn't mean that the idea of healing a person with a parasitic bacterial infection with an antibiotic (when we know exactly what the chemical does to halt the growth of its target organism) goes out the window.
    Right, but it does mean that the antibiotics will sit unused in the cabinet more and more often, and then slowly become relics alongside the trephining instruments in medical museums. If the root cause (unhealthy body and tissue) is resolved, then there's no need to treat the symptom (infection).

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    593 sp/so

But in many cases, the root cause is: microbe.
    5w6 - 9w8 - 3w2

Words are wind.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

The root cause is microbe + defective/compromised immune system. I know what he's saying, but he's not saying it very effectively.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

I don't think germ theory explains everything. But what is true is that:
    (1) germs exist
    (2) they can cause disease.

I don't think sane people will dispute those statements.

What isn't true is that :
    (3) all diseases are caused by germs
    (4) all germs cause disease

We are just learning about the microbiome, and what that does.

I think the pH thing could be true mainly because in an attempt to raise pH, people eat more veggies, and this is known to be a good thing for many reasons.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    people eat more veggies, and this is known to be a good thing for many reasons.
    Depends which kind of "veggie": it's not always true of course.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Depends which kind of "veggie": it's not always true of course.
    Certainly, and eat enough of even some that are good in small quantities and that food can become bad for you.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield