• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Drug Tripping: My Latest Adventure (Or, the importance of REM sleep)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
same: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD

"SAMe is a chemical that is found naturally in the body. It can also be made in the laboratory.

SAMe has been available as a dietary supplement in the US since 1999, but it has been used as a prescription drug in Italy since 1979, in Spain since 1985, and in Germany since 1989. Researchers discovered the potential usefulness of SAMe for treating osteoarthritis by accident. They were studying SAMe’s effect on depression when the patients they were following reported an unexpected improvement in their osteoarthritis symptoms.

SAMe is used for depression, anxiety, heart disease, fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, bursitis, tendonitis, chronic lower back pain, dementia, Alzheimer's disease, slowing the aging process, chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), improving intellectual performance, liver disease, and Parkinson's disease. It is also used for attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), multiple sclerosis, spinal cord injury, seizures, migraineheadache, and lead poisoning.

Some women use SAMe for premenstrual syndrome (PMS) and a more severe form of PMS called premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD).

How does it work?
The body uses SAMe to make certain chemicals in the body that play a role in pain, depression, liver disease, and other conditions. People who don’t make enough SAMe naturally may be helped by taking SAMe as a supplement."

This drug is a minor miracle. I found it online while researching fibromyalgia. It also has other benefits mentioned above. I love this stuff. I feel so much better taking it.

It started one day in 2012 when I woke up in pain. My joints hurt, my muscles hurt, I hurt clear down to the very bone.
The pain may have been building up for a while and then gotten bad enough to be noticeable. Or maybe it just happened over night. But I didn't have medical insurance and could only afford the cheapest clinic "doctors" (for lack of a better word). I was given a diagnosis. And although it holds true for certain symptoms it didn't go far enough. It didn't explain all my symptoms.

I started this thread somewhat over a year after my symptoms began. The "Logan" (his real name) in the OP is just one of many of a new breed of "doctors" who exist merely to generate money for clinics, pharmacies, and drug companies by keeping their patients on a merry-go-round of pharmaceuticals and frequent "med check" clinic visits. Their patients are little more than walking money to them. Keeping the patients sick but still alive, and spending money, is their goal in life.

This problem goes back to the 1980s when some socially damaging gubmint legislation was put into effect that detrimentally affected the way doctors go about their business of healing the sick.

In 2013 I was prescribed 1600 mg of Ibuprofen otc per day for pain. That's a lot of drugs. Seeing the hopelessness of the situation, and knowing that clinics are useless, I went on my own and started going 'alternative.'

I started very basic - I paid more attention to gum health. After a few months, the general malaise had decreased by a good 80%. I said goodbye to the constant Ibuprofen, although I still take it for random aches and pains. But there were still problems, so I started experimenting with various alternative medicines, nothing too crazy. And I always did my homework at webpages such as webmd before jumping into a new regimen.

I started taking a zinc/magnesium combination which is good for the immune system. I haven't had a sick day since 2013 when I started taking it, whereas before that, bronchitis was a yearly concern. Goodbye bronchitis.

Two nights ago I had another drug-tripping experience like the one in the OP but worse. Now that I have medical through my work I was able to visit a real doctor for a change. There they found that I have many things still wrong with me. I went home from the clinic with eight separate diagnoses. I was rather astounded. I knew I still felt shitty, but I didn't know I felt that shitty. I was prescribed Prednisone and cefuroxime. But the nightmares that resulted from taking this stuff were horrific. I mean truly horrific. But then I was taking many other things besides, including SAMe, so there may have been a drug conflict.

Consider this dream situation. You're wrapped up in something, helpless. It feels like chicken wire? You don't know. And something is trying to eat you. It can't bite through, but you can feel it constantly gnawing and biting at you at a tremendous rate of speed over various parts of your body, a feeling that is wholly like being tortured.

My eyes in the dream were closed tight like they were glued together so I couldn't see what it was. But I managed to open them a slit and saw nothing but maybe a chair. Then they closed up again.

I managed to get my eyes open again and saw what I thought was my mother(?). She was just standing there. My eyes closed again as the torture continued. Then they opened again just in time to see her walk away out of view.

I'm not normally one for vocalizing my distress. But soon after that point I started screaming for help because it didn't seem like the torture was ever going to end. I screamed for help over and over again until I finally woke up.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So, you like the SAMe? I have never taken it, though my brother and mother have...

I have seen hints of negative aspects, what would you say?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So, you like the SAMe? I have never taken it, though my brother and mother have...

I have seen hints of negative aspects, what would you say?

I don't know yet. I'm taking a small dose because of the strong way my mind and body react to everything. And I'm taking other things. But there's been no major side effects after 3 weeks and so far I feel a lot better.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There may be other side effects as well. The University of California's Berkeley Wellness Letter cautioned that SAM-e converts to homocysteine in the body, and high levels of homocysteine may raise the risk of heart disease. For that reason, they suggest that if you take SAM-e, you also take a multivitamin and be sure your diet is rich in fruits and vegetables -- elements in these foods can help lower your homocysteine levels.

Finally, researchers at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center who reviewed all of the existing information on SAM-e advised that it "is not without risk of more significant psychiatric and cardiovascular adverse events." Because of these risks and the lack of information on the long-term effects of taking SAM-e, the University of Pittsburgh report suggests that it only be used under a doctor's supervision.

I should probably make some more dietary changes. Heart disease...

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There may be other side effects as well. The University of California's Berkeley Wellness Letter cautioned that SAM-e converts to homocysteine in the body, and high levels of homocysteine may raise the risk of heart disease. For that reason, they suggest that if you take SAM-e, you also take a multivitamin and be sure your diet is rich in fruits and vegetables -- elements in these foods can help lower your homocysteine levels.

Finally, researchers at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center who reviewed all of the existing information on SAM-e advised that it "is not without risk of more significant psychiatric and cardiovascular adverse events." Because of these risks and the lack of information on the long-term effects of taking SAM-e, the University of Pittsburgh report suggests that it only be used under a doctor's supervision.

I should probably make some more dietary changes. Heart disease...

Yeah, that was what I had heard.....

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ok, I've made the dietary changes.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
After going through the allergy testing, I am now more allergic than ever. For the first time in my life I have a huge rash all over my back. I believe this is because I laid down on top of my bed covers yesterday with no shirt on, which is where the dogs like to lie during the day.

The allergy clinic has determined that I am not a good candidate for immunotherapy. If I am given any of those injections I will end up in the ER with some kind of reaction, be it asthma or something else.

My asthma is worse than ever now. A little exercise and I am short of breath because of "exercise asthma." Even getting in bed at night causes me to have to take a few deep breaths in order to keep up oxygen levels.

It's actually CO2 levels rising in the bloodstream that make a person feel out of breath.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The allergy doctor had given me an antibiotic called Ceftin for the sinus infections. They don't have any proof that I have sinus infections. There are other things that can occur in the sinuses to cause pain.

My first day on Ceftin I ended up with a red face and chest, but for a few days after that there was no problem and I didn't even think it was caused by Ceftin. I tested allergic to 39 out of 50 known allergens, after all.

After about 10 days on Ceftin I began to feel very strange. After two weeks on Ceftin I went into Urgent Care, which is kind of a pre-ER where doctors (usually PAs) see patients with urgent medical cases that wouldn't normally be considered emergencies.

I had written down my symptoms prior to driving myself to the Urgent Care. Here is the list I jotted down at the time:

Stabbing pain in extremities / joints - left elbow, right thigh, right top of foot.
light-headedness
eyes roll back - eye lids flutter when trying to focus.
dizziness
loud ringing in ears
sinusitis
dry cough
shortness of breath
itchy derma, throat tickle
runny nose
nausea.

The Urgent Care nurse reported my blood pressure as 155/109. She asked if that was normal for me and I said "no."

I sat for an hour in the little examination room while I waited for my doctor to show up. I spoke to a nurse during that time and she said the doctor had to accompany a patient to the ER. I don't think the patient wanted to pay for an ambulance, but I don't understand why a nurse couldn't have done that.

But I made good use of my hour alone in a little room. I figured out that I was reacting to the Ceftin. So when the doctor finally showed up, all apologetic about the wait, I told him that he didn't even have to think because I had worked out the cause of this.

The doctor took me off Ceftin, obviously, and replaced it with Azithromycin. The next Monday I visited a Primary Health facility where that doctor replaced Azithromycin with Augmentin, a penicillin-based antibiotic to which I may be allergic. Now I'm just waiting to finish the Augmentin to see if my allergies calm down.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I spoke with the head honcho of the sinus/allergy clinic about the Ceftin incident. He said that very often the body doesn't react at first. In this case it took 10 days to have a reaction to Ceftin.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I researched the head honcho of the sinus and allergy clinic who I spoke to on Oct. 3. He lost his license to practice medicine in the state of California, and has received two warnings from the state he is currently practicing in. They involve ordering unnecessary tests and procedures.

My health has definitely taken a turn for the worse since the Ceftin incident. There is more body pain than ever. I get strange stabbing pains in my right femur and a little in my left. I have a sit-down job taking tech support calls, and my feet hurt just from sitting there for hours, especially my left foot. Sometimes the ringing in my ear, which was there already, gets so loud now that I can't go to sleep at night. I have recently developed tailbone pain from sitting down. I can't do stand up work, and now it's getting to the point where I can't even do sit-down work. So I've ordered a coccyx pillow from Amazon.

A few weeks ago I had all my eyeglass lenses upgraded. Three days ago things began to get blurry again already, especially for distance. The second day things were blurrier than the first, and today they are blurrier yet. I had to buy some off-the-shelf reading glasses with just enough power to help me drive with comfortable vision.

I also get dizzy a lot.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just finished mowing the lawn with a push mower, perhaps for the last time this year. My heart rate is still at 104 a half-hour after finishing. If it does the same as it did last weekend, it will stay at around 104 for hours and then gradually settle down.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Here is an online cholesterol calculation based on results I got from my job's insurance:

enjoy_zps06soaowb.jpg

Looks pretty grim.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Here is an online cholesterol calculation based on results I got from my job's insurance:

enjoy_zps06soaowb.jpg

Looks pretty grim.

I just got my bloodwork done and was shocked. I work out 4 days a week (high intensity/interval/weights). I am in very good physical shape. My resting pulse is 53. Blood pressure is optimal. But my sugar level was 105! And my cholesterol was high.

I have a history of diabetes/heart disease in my family. I looked at what I ate (was thinking I was eating healthy). I realized I was eating too many "good fats" and too much sugar (added sugar in carbs and juice). Which can add pounds. I was also eating too much avocado, proscuitto and cheese.

So read labels diligently of your everyday diet. You might be surprised at your portioning. Even good foods can be bad for you if over indulged in.

Now I'm looking at how I eat differently. I didnt realize how little leafy greens I was eating. I incorporate that into my dinner now. No added carbs at dinner. So I am subbing spagetti squash for pasta when I crave it and making my own sauce. (Tomato, unsalted chicken stock, onion, garlic reduced/sauteed/blended) no added sugar! Tastes so much better. Lower in calories too.

Find good substitutions too. There's a recipe for banana pancakes that is pretty indulgent. My sunday morning treat:
2 bananas 2 eggs. Blend. I use a half serving (tablespoon) of agave syrup to finish. (16g) I keep track of my ADDED sugars. No more than 25g per day. I try to stay below that.

Nothing is grim. :) baby steps. :)

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Good for you! Great resting heart rate. That right there shows your heart is pretty healthy!

I eat more greens now that I bought a Ninja blender. It's fun to make green smoothies. I am having a problem with my fresh greens freezing in my refrigerator though. And I have turned it down several times now....I have been trying to make green smoothies for my kids after school. If I add enough frozen fruit and juice, it is a hit.

I am avoiding processed meats due to the preservative and chemical components in them. I also try to avoid pork. I recently realized how much I love spaghetti squash too!!! And it tastes just like spaghetti, or maybe better.

:happy0065:

EDIT: Is that a fasting blood glucose?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This has become more of a doctor-experience blog for me. Yesterday I went back to the same clinic that I visited in the OP post for a mere blood draw. I need to have all my levels checked out.

Oh my God did that nurse ever kill me with that needle. I've had my arm poked a lot of times in this last year, but this was the worst by far. And here is the result the next day: a nice fat little bruise where she poked me:

blood%20draw_zps0nsljytd.jpg

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's Official: I Have Fibromyalgia

With such a venomous, hate-filled atmosphere as this forum contains, I am rather hesitant to post here anymore except for the occasional GIF or video. But I thought I should update this blog-like thread anyway just to post some thoughts.

In 2012 my general feeling of malaise increased dramatically, like, over night. One day I was okay; the next day, misery. And it wouldn't stop. My feet hurt and burned, and I would have sudden painful neck spasms that, one time, made the veterinarian I was working with stare at me with intense curiosity for a few seconds. I can't help but cry out in pain when something hits me internally out of the blue. I think the problem with some people (in this case he is an INTJ) is that they don't see any reason for the sudden outburst. And that's the problem with Fibromyalgia. There is no visible source of the pain. It's not as if a rock or something hits me, but it has the same effect. The stabbing pains I used to have in my feet, which are thankfully gone for the most part, felt like being stabbed with an ice pick.

neckinjury1_zpsk5wp0ebl.jpg

People must think I'm just crazy like that

Last year I was moved into a new location at work. It is all computer work. The 50-year-old guy who sits behind me now constantly verbalizes pain. I think he is an ESFP, not because of what I just wrote, but because of all the things he's told me about himself. I think his Enneagram tritype is 974 (9w1), or 794.

But one of the first things I noticed was his verbalizing of things that also bother me. He's always saying "Ow my leg!" or "Ow my arm!" Or he talks about the stabbing pain in his feet which, as I well know, is very debilitating. It's a pain that surpasses 5 on the 1 - 10 pain scale that doctors love to use these days. The first time it happened to him at work, I asked him if he had done a lot of walking the day before. He said "yes." Or maybe he whimpered it. But when it used to happen to me, it would remind me of Jesus having his feet nailed to the cross and how that must have felt (assuming Jesus existed).

lego%20pain_zpsxxacblnb.jpg

I can't wait for someone to make a Lego movie out of The Passion

Our symptoms don't quite match though. He has more of the tiredness symptomatic of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, another painful disease that resembles FM. Sometimes when he gets too quiet (because he usually talks constantly) I turn around to see him slumped over in his chair. He also says that he doesn't feel like he gets enough sleep at night even after sleeping for 8 or 9 hours. And he has reported that his arms sometimes feel so tired that he can't work any longer, although computer work is not physically demanding.

Even though his doctor thinks he has FM, I think he has CFS. They are closely related diseases that are easily confused with one another.

It is also possible to have both diseases at the same time.

As for me, I've been taking advantage of the great insurance I have on my job (which I pay through the nose for, by the way). So a few weeks ago I went to see my PA about knee pain. He moved my right leg around, but it didn't cause me to react, so he told me it was not arthritis of the knee. He asked me a few more questions, then he did a quick FM finger-poking exam of about 8 of the tender points that FM patients supposedly have. I noticed that it was an FM exam while it was happening because I had read about it online.

He declared that I probably have Fibromyalgia, and provided me with a subscription for Cymbalta which helped ease the pain.

Last Thursday I went to see a rheumatologist who did a much more thorough exam and then diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia. The doctor prescribed warm water therapy and aerobic exercises.

It does explain quite a bit. FM is not just a painful disease, there is chemical sensitivity and other things involved -

Regional-symptoms-of-fibromyalgia%20cropped_zpsjw2puigq.jpg

Yes, it sucks to be me.​

The "Nondermatomal Paresthesias" pointing to the leg is pretty funny though because it is the medical term for "whiplash." So it should be pointing to the neck of the figure. If I was that figure, it would be pointing to my left side mostly. And of course the line pointing to the groin area wouldn't exist because I'm not female.

So it's time for me to get on the Fibromyalgia bandwagon, read some books on the subject, and ponder the fact that I should be doing aerobics and warm water therapy like the true INTP that I am.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I drove myself to the ER two days ago and had an emergency appendectomy.