User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP

Default The Perfect Health Diet

Has anyone heard of this diet? It's similar to the Paleo Diet (but don't assume it's the same thing!) and includes Intermittent Fasting. It's the most wholesome, cutting-edge, research- and theory-based approach to Food-As-Medicine that there is out there today. Half of the book's pages are citations for the research literature used in the book.

The authors, Paul and Shou-Ching Shih Jaminet, both have Ph.Ds and seem to have scoured every scientific study ever related to diet and nutrition. This is from their About Us page:

"We are scientists with a longstanding interest in diet and health. We began experimenting with low-carb Paleo diets in 2005, spent seven years refining them, have successfully healed our own “middle-age” and chronic health problems through diet, and have learned a great deal about the benefits – and pitfalls – of these diets that we would like to share."

For a perfectionist, this is as good as it gets.

So the PHD is based on the Paleo diet, which involves:
    -No gluten (wheat)
    -No grains (like corn or corn products)
    -No dairy
    -No lugumes (including peanuts)
    -No processed food (because our bodies were not meant to digest these chemical compounds)

The article below summarizes the differences between the PHD and the Paleo diet:

http://crinionclan.blogspot.com/2013...alth-diet.html
    Last edited by bcoz14; 09-18-2013 at 09:19 AM. Reason: "Not enough information" in the OP

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    Si
    Socionics
    ESTP

No such thing. Just eat, healthy amounts of lean-meats, occasional red-meat, lots of vegtables and grains, that has little contamination and minimal processing. Other than there isn't much you can do.
    "Where can you flee? What road will you use to escape us? Our horses are swift, our arrows sharp, our swords like thunderbolts, our hearts as hard as the mountains, our soldiers as numerous as the sand. Fortresses will not detain us, nor arms stop us. Your prayers to God will not avail against us. We are not moved by tears nor touched by lamentations."

MBTI
    ENFP

Have you looked at the diet yet? Do you know why it's recommended to eat 60% of calories from fat, 25% from carbs and the rest from protein? Or do you know why it's strongly recommended not to eat grains (including anything made from corn or wheat) or legumes (including peanuts)?

And of course, the "perfect" diet is subjective to each person...so the authors cover various areas for customization.

You don't know what you don't know! =]

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by bcoz14 View Post
    Has anyone heard of this diet? It's similar to the Paleo Diet and includes Intermittent Fasting. I really just wanted to make people aware of it because I believe it's the most wholesome, cutting-edge, research- and theory-based approach to Food-As-Medicine that there is out there today. Half of the book's pages are citations for the research literature used in the book. This is an infographic from the webiste summarizing the diet's foods:

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/wp/wp-c...ate-600dpi.jpg

People often feel like the nutrition information out there today is confusing and often contradicting, and people are right. I just thought I could contribute by giving everyone this shortcut. This is starting to sound like a plug for them, but really I'm just a enthusiastic supporter with a desire to make you guys happier in pursuit of your goals! Hope it's helpful!
    I’m not familiar with the Perfect Health diet, and the OP didn’t provide a lot of info about it (the link is just for a single graphic). But the OP said that the Perfect Health diet is a variation of the Paleo Diet, and that’s a well-known diet.

According to WebMD, the Paleo Diet is supposed to be very healthy for you. The biggest drawback of the Paleo Diet is that it’s kind of a major departure from the “normal” foods that people eat in western countries, so most people probably won’t be able to maintain the Paleo Diet indefinitely. And once they switch back to a more “normal” food routine, they’ll probably regain the weight they lost.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/d...man-paleo-diet

So you have to consider that when choosing a diet: Is it something that you can maintain for a lifetime, or is it something that you’ll only do temporarily, which increases the risk that you’ll regain the weight or engage in “yo-yo dieting”?

If you want a healthy diet that’s easy to maintain for a lifetime, then I recommend the Mediterranean Diet. It basically just involves a switch to lean meats and lots of veggies, and then you get rid of animal fats (butter) and replace them with vegetable oil. IOW, it doesn’t involve a huge change in routine; mainly you just switch out a couple key elements to make your current diet more healthy. I’ve been doing the Mediterranean Diet for about 2.5 years, lost 40 pounds, and I don’t see any difficulty in continuing to eat that way for the rest of my life.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/gu...terranean-diet

YMMV, of course.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    Si
    Socionics
    ESTP

Have you looked at the diet yet? Do you know why it's recommended to eat 60% of calories from fat, 25% from carbs and the rest from protein? Or do you know why it's strongly recommended not to eat grains (including anything made from corn or wheat) or legumes (including peanuts)?

And of course, the "perfect" diet is subjective to each person...so the authors cover various areas for customization.

You don't know what you don't know! =]
    Unless you have dietary issues of some sort it doesn't matter that much, like malabsorbation, iron-overload, allergies or digestive issues. Aslong as you eat a varied diet, try whole and minimally processed food it doesn't matter that much in maintaining health and don't go one sided with the foods you eat, you'll remain healthy. And yes i did take a look at the diet. As someone who trains weight-lifting, boxing and trains markmanship, i've played with macros and dietary sources, it hasn't changed alot tbh. Only a few things like simple versus complex carbs might have an overall affect on your daily functioning.
    "Where can you flee? What road will you use to escape us? Our horses are swift, our arrows sharp, our swords like thunderbolts, our hearts as hard as the mountains, our soldiers as numerous as the sand. Fortresses will not detain us, nor arms stop us. Your prayers to God will not avail against us. We are not moved by tears nor touched by lamentations."

MBTI
    ENFP

The biggest drawback of the Paleo Diet is that it’s kind of a major departure from the “normal” foods that people eat in western countries, so most people probably won’t be able to maintain the Paleo Diet indefinitely.
    True, I'm finding that you must avoid what seems like 90% of everything in the grocery store (I've been doing it for 4 months). It's even harder if you're eating out. Basically, everything must be organic or grass-fed, and the fats and oils used must be low in omega-6 fats, with canola oil being at the very top-end.

Although I love it and so do many more people who've given testimonials: http://perfecthealthdiet.com/reader-results/
    It sounded great in my head...

MBTI
    ENFP

And yes i did take a look at the diet. As someone who trains weight-lifting, boxing and trains markmanship, i've played with macros and dietary sources, it hasn't changed alot tbh. Only a few things like simple versus complex carbs might have an overall affect on your daily functioning.
    Hmmm....to what degree of health optimization are we aiming for? It's very possible I'm aiming higher (probably because I'm an INFJ and we are often very perfectionistic). I don't want to settle for what my body tells me--I want to also know that I'm not selling my body short when I know of theory which suggests that I may not be feeding my body optimally.

MBTI
    ENFP

It basically just involves a switch to lean meats and lots of veggies, and then you get rid of animal fats (butter) and replace them with vegetable oil.
    Vegetable oils are are a bad substitute for organic butter or grass-fed beef tallow (lard). The article below explains why, and here's an excerpt from it: "The fat content of the human body is about 97% saturated and monounsaturated fat, with only 3 % Polyunsaturated fats. Half of that three percent is Omega-3 fats, and that balance needs to be there. Vegetable oils contain very high levels of polyunsaturated fats, and these oils have replaced many of the saturated fats in our diets since the 1950s."

http://wellnessmama.com/2193/why-you...-or-margarine/

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    Si
    Socionics
    ESTP

Hmmm....to what degree of health optimization are we aiming for? It's very possible I'm aiming higher (probably because I'm an INFJ and we are often very perfectionistic). I don't want to settle for what my body tells me--I want to also know that I'm not selling my body short when I know of theory which suggests that I may not be feeding my body optimally.
    What is your goal really? That's a better question. Want to build muscle? Want to have good endurance? want to be able to train a long time? Is it maximum recovery you're aiming for?

MBTI
    ENFP

What is your goal really? That's a better question.
    Right. So currently my goal is to build muscle. I workout at noon 3-5 days a week (depending on what cycle I'm on--I'm following Brad Schoenfeld's Max Muscle Plan) and then I eat my first meal right afterwards, with lots of white rice or potatoes. On workout days, my percentage of calories from carbs is higher on workout days than on rest days. Before I workout, I take an amino acid blend, but that's the only food I eat prior to lifting. I eat roughly 20% in excess of my daily caloric expenditure on workout days and 10% less than it on rest days. I stop eating at 8-9pm, so I fast 16 hours per 24 hours every day. I've been up to the PHD for 4 months now and I've been on Schoenfeld's plan for a month.

Even though I'm only halfway through the 2 month "Strength" phase of the Max Muscle Plan, I've noticed that I'm leaner (probably around 8% body fat) and also more muscular in certain areas that were weak. I weigh the same as a month prior.