User Tag List

123 Last

Exclamation Sitting is Killing You - Infographic

As we enter the second decade of the 21st century, there is one thing nearly all modern Americans have in common: we sit all the time. Though our great shift towards computer-based work has done great things for productivity, it has, unfortunately, done terrible things for our health. Simply put: sitting is killing you. From increased risk of heart disease and obesity in the long term, to sharply hampered cholesterol maintenance in the short term, the negative health effects of sitting are starting to weigh heavily against the benefits. Even the medical field – the greatest advocates of reducing sitting time – is plagued by this new health issue. Though doctors and nurses get plenty of walking time, it usually falls to the secretaries, billers, and coders to do all the sitting. And, as we can see, something has to change.
    Last edited by phobik; 09-09-2013 at 05:02 AM.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

Spoiler is broken.

OMG so true... we are not meant to be sitting around all the time! This topic is very near and dear to me and a part of the motivation behind my career change.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Spoiler is broken.
    Same for me.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    OMG so true... we are not meant to be sitting around all the time! This topic is very near and dear to me and a part of the motivation behind my career change.

Same for me.
    I've heard about this, although its sort of common sensical isnt it?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sp
    Socionics
    INTp

And yet, we’re living longer.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

great graphic. I might need to share far and wide. My mother had hip problems and sat, and sat, and sat. Nearly died from blood clots.

I was in great shape when I was unemployed. Needed to take a job (sigh. sitting) gained weight ugggggh

Hate it hate it!
    It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are. ~e.e. cummings

ENFP
    sx/so/sp
    7w6, 4w5, 9w8

MBTI
    XXFP

Some of the statistics are questionable.

Like: 'sitting 6+ hours a day makes you 40% likelier to die within 15 years than someone who sits for less than 3.'

Who sits for 6 hours a day? Lazy office drones, but also old people who are probably going to die in... 15 or so years.

cause vs. effect.

otherwise, sure, sounds good.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    Some of the statistics are questionable.

Like: 'sitting 6+ hours a day makes you 40% likelier to die within 15 years than someone who sits for less than 3.'

Who sits for 6 hours a day? Lazy office drones, but also old people who are probably going to die in... 15 or so years.

cause vs. effect.

otherwise, sure, sounds good.
    A lot of truck drivers sit eleven hours a day, five days a week. That's the legal maximum, if I remember right, and since most of them get paid by the mile and not by the hour, they try to keep the truck moving as much as legally and physically possible, which requires sitting.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

This may all be true, but I also have to point out, that petty-labor jobs that make you stand in one place, or worse, lean over a table, for 8 hours wreak havoc on your body, too. Ask anyone who works at a grocery store. Your feet hurt, your back hurts, your body gets stiff, and then you're so tired at the end of the day the last thing you want to think about is exercising. You end up paradoxically tired even though you haven't actually expended that many calories.

Going into nursing and the physical demand intimidates me a little but I'm thinking I'm going to enjoy it more than being glued to a desk chair, anyway.

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    A lot of truck drivers sit eleven hours a day, five days a week. That's the legal maximum, if I remember right, and since most of them get paid by the mile and not by the hour, they try to keep the truck moving as much as legally and physically possible, which requires sitting.
    OK, that's fair to point out. Though my characterization about office drones wasn't meant to be exhaustive.

What I was trying to do was question the basis of the statistics. Does sitting 6+ hours a day make* you (40%) more likely to die in the next 15 or so years? Or do people who happen to be sitting around for 6+ hours a day also happen to be, say, the sick and elderly - who are likely to die in the next 15 or so years anyway? That is, 40% of the people who sit for 6 hours a day are people who are going to die in 15 years, and sitting didn't make them die. I don't know how they arrived at their conclusions, but I express a good deal of skepticism.

For instance, take truck drivers, who you point out may max out their sitting to 11 hours a day to get miles in.

I doubt that 40% of them, who start driving at say age 25, die by age 40. Maybe I'm wrong, but I imagine it's not even 15%. Do they have unique health issues? Sure. But are they dead? Nah. My impression is that they're fudging the interpretation of the numbers to make it look like a bigger, scarier problem.

I'll jive with the concept that sitting around all the time isn't great for you and poses real issues, but I question how they phrase, interpret, and use some of their statistics, especially because they seem rather sensationalist.

*Second large frame of image, "Sitting increases risk of death up to 40%"
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.