User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ISTP

This is a little overblown. From personal experience, 1 hour of cardio every day before work will offset an 8-hour desk shift. The biggest problem, though, is ergonomics. Sitting is hard on the body even though it's considered sedentary. It puts inordinate amounts of pressure on your lumbar and years of prolonged desk work almost always cause distortion in your discs. Muscles actually shorten over time (like the opposite of stretching every day) pulling your skeletal system out of alignment. Back problems are inevitable if you don't have absolutely perfect posture, ergonomics, and physical routine to balance you out when youre not sitting down.

There are a few things that can be done to prevent problems. 1-hour-ish exercise before work to balance your metabolism and energy levels. 10-15 minutes chilling upside-down on a teeter hang-ups after work will keep the big muscles in your thighs and back from shortening and your spine decompressed. Past that, ergonomics improvements while at work also help, the #1 being sitting at the correct height and distance from your monitor. High-end ergonomic chairs and keyboards are also worth the cost.

Speaking of which... I'm looking at getting one of these and setting it up in Dvorak format:

"My sister puts up a front so people won't know how vulnerable she really is. Me? I put up a front so people won't know how vulnerable I'm not." - Dexter

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy22 View Post
    And yet, we’re living longer.

+1

RDF

I think the point of the new anti-sitting campaign is a shift in emphasis. In previous years, it was believed that you could sit all day long and still be healthy as long as you got in 30 minutes of walking or light exercise every day or two. And in fact it’s true that someone who does a little light exercise is going to be far healthier than someone who does no exercise at all.

So what’s changed? Well, they did research on people who do a big workout once a day but also sit for long stretches during the day. And they realized that these people weren’t all that healthy (in a cardiovascular sense) despite being heavily into exercise. Research found that if you *really* want to be healthy, then you should be doing small amounts of exercise all day rather than doing one big workout per day and then sitting all the rest of the day.

So that’s really the core of the matter. A lot of people think that they if they do a big workout once per day, then they will be in great health. But the new research shows that a big workout isn’t all that healthy for you if you also end up doing long stretches of sitting during the rest of the day. The prolonged sitting is bad enough for you that it wipes out much of the benefit from the workout. A much more healthy alternative is to spend more time on your feet (do less sitting) or engage in smaller bouts of exercise throughout the day, i.e., breaking up stretches of sitting.

Here’s some more in-depth literature on the subject, if anyone is interested.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3404815/

https://www.presidentschallenge.org/...1212digest.pdf

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy22 View Post
    And yet, we’re living longer.
    That's more the result of improvements in medicine. IOW obesity rates keep going up, but medicine keeps pace and keeps us alive longer despite poorer overall health. But at the same time quality of life is compromised, and health costs go through the roof in the effort to keep an obese, unhealthy population alive.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Christ, when are they gonna push the studies that show how exercising can kill you? You know, the more you walk or run, the more likely you're gonna fall down and break your neck!

garbage

Good discussion; learnin' a lot here.
    Quote Originally Posted by LevelZeroHero View Post
    Speaking of which... I'm looking at getting one of these and setting it up in Dvorak format:
    My boss has one of these. It kicks all sorts of ass.

I'm not ready for that level of ergonomics, so I just have a split keyboard and an ergo mouse. A man can dream, though

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

I have figured this intuitively ( ) to be the case, but the fact is that you'd have to change our modern society to a very different kind of civilization to bring us back from the brink of Death By Sitting. Though I guess it doesn't have to be all or nothing, maybe we can find compromise.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Actually, this is a pretty good post. Well said, sir:

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    I think the point of the new anti-sitting campaign is a shift in emphasis. In previous years, it was believed that you could sit all day long and still be healthy as long as you got in 30 minutes of walking or light exercise every day or two. And in fact it’s true that someone who does a little light exercise is going to be far healthier than someone who does no exercise at all.

So what’s changed? Well, they did research on people who do a big workout once a day but also sit for long stretches during the day. And they realized that these people weren’t all that healthy (in a cardiovascular sense) despite being heavily into exercise. Research found that if you *really* want to be healthy, then you should be doing small amounts of exercise all day rather than doing one big workout per day and then sitting all the rest of the day.

So that’s really the core of the matter. A lot of people think that they if they do a big workout once per day, then they will be in great health. But the new research shows that a big workout isn’t all that healthy for you if you also end up doing long stretches of sitting during the rest of the day. The prolonged sitting is bad enough for you that it wipes out much of the benefit from the workout. A much more healthy alternative is to spend more time on your feet (do less sitting) or engage in smaller bouts of exercise throughout the day, i.e., breaking up stretches of sitting.

Here’s some more in-depth literature on the subject, if anyone is interested.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3404815/

https://www.presidentschallenge.org/...1212digest.pdf
    But the scary black blobs in the OP were a nice touch. Haha...
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    973 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

When you're ugly why does it matter if you die young?
    MBTI: ISFP
    Enneagram tritype: 9w8, 7w6,4w3
    Cognitive functions: Fi-Si-Se-Ti-Ni-Ne-Te-Fe

http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/24/249715.png

Ask me questions
    http://www.ask.fm/lunareclipzes3

" I don't have the passion anymore, and so remember it's better to burn out than to fade away"
    - Kurt Cobain

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

That's depressing. It wouldn't surprise me.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639