• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Exercise neednt be boring

Lark

I've heard it said but I've got to say I'm struggling with this, I think about what I'm missing out on when I'm exercising, even when I'm weight lifting or using resistance training which are among my favourite sorts of exercise.

So how do you do it? Keep training or fitness interesting and enjoyable? Is it just a second nature thing or innate or is it something you've have to consciously develop?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Go play tennis or basketball or something??

G

garbage

I don't get the 'runner's high,' and I kinda envy those that do :mad:

Before my hip got all messed up, I'd take a book/audiobook on the elliptical/bike-machine-thing with me. That helped.

I'm not one to be "one with my running shoes, tennis racket, etc." I just try to zone out and let my mind drift elsewhere when I exercise.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't get the 'runner's high,' and I kinda envy those that do :mad:

Before my hip got all messed up, I'd take a book/audiobook on the elliptical/bike-machine-thing with me. That helped.

I'm not one to be "one with my running shoes, tennis racket, etc." I just try to zone out and let my mind drift elsewhere when I exercise.
Same…

I need something fun to do with somebody, but I never have anyone or anything fun…

baccheion

Given that you're an ENTJ, competitive sports would do it. Someone challenges you or embarasses you, then you waste the rest of your life exercising and getting better at the sport to stick it to that person. But all is not lost, because you got into and stayed in shape. Unless you start shooting up with steroids or anything else that misses the point.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
The results are what motivate me, not the method to achieve them. That said, I do what it takes regardless of how enjoyable it is/isn't.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
I find novel ways to exercise. I'm not sure what goal you're after, but i'm probably more athletic than most people.

- bushwhacking with a machete through dense brush is good, also, you get to be in nature.
- climbing tall trees - workout, and a good view.
- i like to throw sledgehammers.

yeah, just swing it down and across, spin, and throw. you need a sledgehammer and a big field (no cars, no people, you WILL throw it the wrong way a few times). go easy or you'll hurt yourself.

- also, rocks. literally, I was doing some work under my house and had to pull out all these 10-40 pound rocks.

throwing a rock (or log) at a steep incline has a Sisyphean quality to it which screams pleasure. you can squat down and throw them straight up in the air, push them straight out forward (plant legs, shove forward), lots of options.

- sprinting

- take really long walks at random times, like walk 13 miles one night when you decide that you'll save the cab fare, why not? (done it)

- i heard the idea of driving stakes into the ground with a big hammer, could be fun.

- build an obstacle course!

I'm living on a big plot of land, I made use of the abandoned logging road that winds up the mountain. sprinting up that is a workout in itself, but add obstacles, targets, guns (welcome to usa), and you got an engaging workout. and it encourages gross motor movement and then the shooting is fine motor, having to switch is hard.

i just used an air pistol for a while, shot it so many times i broke it. a .22 would be an upgrade...

if you really want to drive yourself nuts set up 10 knock down targets (sheet metal and door hinges screwed into logs), and based on skill/difficulty load 10 - 12 rounds of ammunition. nothing more infuriating than reaching the top of the hill and missing. you'll want to do it again and again to get it right.

substitutes for guns:

air pistols
bows
spears (learn to throw a spear, good workout there)
hell even rocks

- if you like bicycles set up an obstacle course with sharp turns in a big parking lot or urban area. the challenge is connecting the turns in the most efficient, fast way possible. personally, i get so focused on the turns that i forget about the pedaling until my legs and arms and abs are sore.

sure there is more

gromit

likes this
[MENTION=6168]Bamboo[/MENTION] obstacle courses are so fun. What a great idea!

wolfy

awsm
Exercise is sometimes boring and painful. You just need to deal with it. Training to music helps and has some science to back it up. But whatever you do it is always going to be boring and painful at times.

Enjoy the slog.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That's what group classes are for - to be so busy trying to do whatever the instructor is doing while thinking of how ridiculous you must look in front of everyone else that you can't even think of how much time you're 'wasting'.

ms.behaving

MBTI Type
eNFJ
Instinctual Variant
so
I watch tv, listen to music, people watch or talk to my friends when I workout at the gym. It is usually an enjoyable highlight of the day.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wanna go bush whacking now.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Exercise is sometimes boring and painful. You just need to deal with it. Training to music helps and has some science to back it up. But whatever you do it is always going to be boring and painful at times.

Enjoy the slog.
Yeah. I don't train without music.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've heard it said but I've got to say I'm struggling with this, I think about what I'm missing out on when I'm exercising, even when I'm weight lifting or using resistance training which are among my favourite sorts of exercise.

So how do you do it? Keep training or fitness interesting and enjoyable? Is it just a second nature thing or innate or is it something you've have to consciously develop?

This is my biggest problem. It's not that I don't understand the benefits of exercise, it's that it kind of bores me and takes time away from things I'd rather be doing. I need a way for exercise to be fun that only requires 1, or perhaps 2 people. I don't enjoy the competitive aspect of sports that much.. it's just not for me.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've never been able to stick to an exercise regime before. I've been doing yoga for about a year now (by far the longest I've stuck with any kind of exercise routine), and for me the non-competitive nature and focus on looking inward (something my weak Si is definitely in need of) has helped me enjoy it and feel good about myself while doing it without feeling downtrodden by it.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For me anything creative helps, and being in nature always gives me energy; I love running on a trail while listening to music, and I love dancing and yoga. That probably wouldn't work for you. I have to get into the habit, or else I get into the habit of not exercising. Being a TJ, maybe you just need to get your inner drill sergeant to yell at you to go to the gym at a certain time every other day? I don't know. Is there anything physical you find fun? Are there particular environments or people who give you energy? You could combine those into something physically active. Also I am a fairly active person. I work in an active job, and when I go to school or downtown I park far away and then walk/jog to wherever I'm going to avoid paying for parking; and I get exercise in the process. I'm motivated by the results a lot too; I love being fit, and feeling strong is really good psychologically. You could also try martial arts. That might be good for an ENTJ. Especially as you said you are a social worker- de-stressing I think would be important.

Oh yeah, and right now I'm taking a dance class, so I have to exercise at least once a week- classes are great for getting you in to the habit of exercising. Ideally you'll be motivated to exercise in between as well.

Brendon

Low fat protein such as peanut butter, lean meat, poultry or fish, or boiled eggs,
dairy like milk, yogurt and low fat cheeses, such as cottage and natural cheeses.....

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I don't get bored with exercise. I like cardio stuff, like walking or jogging or elliptical machine, because it gives me time to think. :blush:

S

Stansmith

I just get entranced by the music I'm listening to and think about how much sexier I'm getting with every rep.