• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is your somatotype?

jixmixfix

Permabanned
1. Ectomorph
2. Mesomorph
3. Endomorph

the-3-body-types_504cdf1716a7e.jpg

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/body-types-ectomorph-mesomorph-endomorph.html
Mesomorph here.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Endo-Mesomorphic. To borrow a chart from another thread, I'd be between 3 and 8. Maybe a little closer to 8 now that I'm training for my tri.

iehw00.jpg

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
3-8 sounds like a mesomorph. There are really skinny endomorphs as well.

Which is why my primary body type is mesomorphic. If we were using Sheldon's triangle

v8q236.jpg

I'd probably be something like a 452 or 352.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So you do you find it hard gain muscle as an ecto?

:thinking: I haven't actively tried to "gain" muscle. I'm a tall/thin/lanky female. So bulking up wasn't ever an interest (I already feel like a beast as it is due to my height & a distorted perception of my figure, haha). If I'm active, I get fairly lean looking, which looks more toned (bicycling for travel, push/situps were the only exercise I'd do). When I've been less active for extended periods, my size doesn't change/I don't gain weight, but I do become a little softer, will lose some definition I had. When active, I don't think I have trouble strengthening what muscle I do have, though. That's all that's important for me, really. Protecting joints, etc.

A couple of my exes were similarly built (ecto), & those who did actively try to gain muscle had trouble compared to their meso/endo friends. One tried to supplement working out with high protein shakes.. they were vile & didn't seem to help, much. /shrug

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i'd be interested in finding out so i can adjust my workout/eating habits.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
i'd be interested in finding out so i can adjust my workout/eating habits.

From what I've seen of you, you should be either an ecto or a meso it all depends. Do you find it harder to gain muscle or to lose fat?

jixmixfix

Permabanned
:thinking: I haven't actively tried to "gain" muscle. I'm a tall/thin/lanky female. So bulking up wasn't ever an interest (I already feel like a beast as it is due to my height & a distorted perception of my figure, haha). If I'm active, I get fairly lean looking, which looks more toned (bicycling for travel, push/situps were the only exercise I'd do). When I've been less active for extended periods, my size doesn't change/I don't gain weight, but I do become a little softer, will lose some definition I had. When active, I don't think I have trouble strengthening what muscle I do have, though. That's all that's important for me, really. Protecting joints, etc.

A couple of my exes were similarly built (ecto), & those who did actively try to gain muscle had trouble compared to their meso/endo friends. One tried to supplement working out with high protein shakes.. they were vile & didn't seem to help, much. /shrug

Protein shakes are delicious for the most part and are suppose to be good for ecto's trying to gain muscle. It sounds like ectomorphs should be eating before they go to bed to avoid losing muscle mass.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
From what I've seen of you, you should be either an ecto or a meso it all depends. Do you find it harder to gain muscle or to lose fat?

Makes sense, assuming ectomorphs have a faster metabolism. However, Sheldon's somatotype theory's been dismissed by doctors/researchers for ages now.
Still a fun theory to toy with, but I imagine a lot of highly specific, genetically based factors would still affect how someone gains/loses muscle or fat. Like someone with ectomorph characteristics may assume eating more before bed will help prevent them from losing muscle through the night, but they might just become obese instead, because their metabolism wasn't particularly any faster than the others, to begin with.

I'm sure some of the basic framing of the theory might have some utility, though. Long as people pay attention to how their bodies truly are, vs how they expect them to be, based on misconceptions around their own 'type.' Ha, this sounds familiar.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
I think I would be a mesomorph [8]. I'm small but very solid and muscular.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Probably ectomorph but it's hard to say because I've never tried to gain any muscle. I've been thin my whole life though. But kind of a skinny-fat.. Again probably due to my habits though.

Mole

Permabanned
Yes, Jung's psychological types were to complement the somatic types.

And the somatic types Jung chose to complement were Aryan, Asian, Negro and Jew.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
None of those look remotely like me.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

hmm...I feel like I can do both relatively easy but maybe losing weight is harder than gaining muscle. not that I've ever been super muscly but I can feel the difference just after a week of weight training.

but i have a pretty small frame like an ectomorph...i'm just not sure my metabolism is as high. i can definitely gain weight.

G

Glycerine

I am a meso-ecto (according to the personal trainer, I am straight up ectomorph). I am pretty thin with some curviness with my bust-waist-hip ratio (not stick straight) but have a really small butt and chest. From the chart, I am combo of 1 and 8. Also, technically 10 lbs underweight for my height but I look more muscular than emaciated.