• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Fat Acceptance Movement

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Absolutely. You're spot on. You listed all the recommendations we do every month to our mayors and politicians. :)

You would be a great urban health advisor!
I grew up poor, am not far removed from being poor now, and my closest friends are poor, so I have a feel for what the obstacles are. And it's the poor who, in the US, at least, have the biggest problem and are the most expensive to society, since we have a ridiculous healthcare system. We'd rather shame people here than cut our own costs and improve people's lives.

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
None of the other vices have such a thorough "ugly, stupid, lazy" label attached to them; emphasis on the "ugly" as though it's a moral offense to expose strangers to something aesthetically unappealing. When you're big you feel the looks, you hear the comments, you read them online, you see them on television, and you either hide in your house crippled by shame, or you grow angry in an attempt to protect yourself. Smoking and drinking can be sexy, fat is never sexy, drugs can be fun and sexy, fat is never sexy, being a sex addict workaholic can be admirable and sexy, fat is never sexy. Do you see?

It is not the obligation of women to be as physically attractive as possible to as many people as possible. I tried to look up statistics on the rates of obesity in men, there are hardly any. The rates of obesity in women, however, are everywhere, even coming up in my searches for obesity in men. This is, quite frankly, because society at large doesn't really care if men are obese.

Unlike other "addictions" a person addicted to food can't just quit. They have to consume their addiction every day (or nearly) for the rest of their life.

You can be skinny and unhealthy, or fat and unhealthy. No one minds if you're skinny and unhealthy. Some people won't stop smoking, some people won't stop drinking, some people won't quit that stupid partner, some people won't quit sleeping around; we don't judge them (much). The same courtesy should be extended to fat folk. But it isn't.

I think you're underestimating the extent to which alcoholics and drug addicts are blamed. I'll admit that pop culture can sometimes condone these addictions, but it's rarely the case in real life. These addictions are treated as moral failings far more than obesity is, and they affect your chances of getting a job far more than obesity does. And I would argue that our culture and biology makes us prone to these addictions, and that environmental factors play an equal or greater role.

Moreover, few obese people are addicted to fruit and veggies. They are addicted to sugary, processed foods. It's very possible to never eat those again, or eat them only rarely.

And I object to your comment about no one caring about men being obese. It may be more of an issue for women, as any aesthetic issue is, and it's disgusting that we are judged on our appearance so much. But fat man are mocked, abused, and shamed too. They are perceived as less competent too. They are under media pressure to look like an unrealistic ideal too.

I don't think the only alternative to fat acceptance is fat shaming. Just as forced, brutal rehab is rarely a good idea, there needs to be a gentler approach to weight loss. I don't support the diet industry AT ALL, and I agree with you that simple changes are the best. But the health at any size movement also seems sketch to me. I still find a lot of skinny-shaming on their sites, and I just don't think we're moving in an "acceptable" direction. I don't want the next generation to look like this one. The more slim you are as a child, the easier it is for you to lose weight as an adult. Child obesity is rising. I'm afraid.

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's a bit like person-centered language in psychology. Saying "this person who is overweight" instead of "this fatty".

Guess which is more empowering. Guess which one will encourage positive change.

This might be more of a personal thing. But I've gotten called "curvy" (True curviness has nothing to do with weight. I have naturally larger breasts and naturally wide hips. If I lost my curves with weight loss, I wouldn't be curvy), been told that if I lost a proper amount of weight I'd look unhealthy, and had all of the fat acceptance excuses made for me. Did the bullying I was subjected to help? No. But fat acceptance helped even less.

For me to get up off of my ass, eat actual vegetables, and lose weight, I needed to stop hearing those excuses. I needed to call myself fat, acknowledge my laziness and overindulgence, and recognize that I had FAILED myself.

Last edited:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
what if we targeted anorexics? I mean tell them its ok to be fat, since that's what they believe they are when they're a healthy weight. I think it's genius personally

Interesting.

It is absurd that the advertising industry thinks the models in that Dove photo are plus-sized. They're not fat! Just because they have some body fat does not make them fat!

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
It's false, but only because you added "in general".

If it was true "in general", then the average BMI should have remained more or less the same in developped countries during the last decades.

It has not. In fact, during the last three decades, obesity prevalence has doubled, tripled and sometimes quadrupled..

It means that most cases of clinical obesity aren't probably due to heritable factors (even if some are, unfortunately; if you have Maori or Pacific Islander ancestry, then you know what it means), but to our current environment.

And our environment has changed. Both physically, economically and socially.

We eat a lot more than what we used to be. We do less exercise than what we used to do. We are exposed to more chemicals and endocrine disruptors than ever, and the quality of the food we eat has been dramatically altered (too much cheap sugars), but that's just a few guesses. There are probably a lot of explained and unexplained factors at stake.

But what I know FOR SURE, is that if you eat 4000 kcal a day (with a fondness for soft drinks), if you're average sized and if you sit all day long in front of a desk... then you will likely become obese.

The heritability of bmi remains consistently high even in the face of environmental changes, http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/87/2/275.full.pdf. Heritability represents the variation within populations attributable to genetic factors, not the variation between populations. Take height for instance, we know that average height can change over time at the population level due to better nutrition but at an individual level height is still mostly determined by your genes throughout those changes. So let's say a developing nation decided they wanted to increase national height through public health policy/better nutrition, chances are they might achieve their goal of increasing average height but that doesn't mean that those who remained relatively short have "failed" they are doing the best with the genes that they have.

I have no doubt that the public policy you suggest would greatly benefit public health at the population level, what I doubt is how great the impact of such policy would be at the individual level, where modest weight loss is not enough to be considered socially acceptable. Not to mention that as opposed to obesity which is a medical condition defined by bmi, "fatness" is a social condition and it is relative, so even if BMIs decrease on average there will still be "fat" people and "thin" people, it is the natural variation within populations that should be accepted not the shifts between populations.

Allergies are the analogy I used earlier in the thread, they are also highly heritable yet their incidence has increased dramatically in the last few decades, does that mean we shouldn't "accept" people with allergies?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Interesting.

It is absurd that the advertising industry thinks the models in that Dove photo are plus-sized. They're not fat! Just because they have some body fat does not make them fat!

I agree the fact i'm no longer single digits in pant size depresses me because society tells me i have to be 0 even though the thinnest possible size is a 4 and now I'm a 10. Anyways I don't like it but i've started riding my bike 6+ miles a day and trying to eat healthier. shhh don't tell anyone about the cake.

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've never heard of this. Are there links available to speakers, articles, or something? The media pressure to be crazy-skinny - photoshopped skinny is the only thing I'm aware of existing. What examples of "fat acceptance" exist in the media?

Edit: I'm all for non-judgment and giving people their personal privacy, and supporting positive body image, along with promoting health. Anorexia and morbid obesity should be treated with compassion and concern. Shaming either makes it worse.

http://www.naafaonline.com/dev2/
http://pinterest.com/emjoyce/fat-acceptance/
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m945oi25FM1rzc0p3o1_500.jpg
http://cofc-01.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/hiddenagender/files/2012/03/real-women.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/ic8etc.png

These are just a few examples. I'm trying to find the stuff that prompted me to start this thread, but following an ENFP's web trail is damn near impossible. It's all mixed in with stuff about leopards and sleep cycles and cute leggings lol

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
It is time to show our cards.

I'm an urbanist currently specialized in health and environmental problems. I'm not a physician, but I work with them on a daily basis.
In Africa, we were focused on sanitation and diseases related to bad water quality. But in Europe and the US, we mainly focus on pollution, avalaibility of health structures, cleaning and recycling various wastes, but also on the obesity epidemy.

Obesity has become the major health issue in developped countries, and is indirectly responsible for millions of deaths. So we work on how to make our built, political, cultural and physical environment less likely to promote obesity. And every physician or major health institute I've worked with, recommended the same thing: 1/ Make people exercise and walk more, and 2/ Educate people more about nutrition, make healthy products avalaible for them.

-----

I'm not here to make fun of obese people. On the contrary, my current job (this year) is to help them to find a cure. But we can do nothing if obese people don't acknowledge it's a disease, if they do not have the will to cooperate. And it's not because obesity has now become commonplace that it makes this disease less deadly. It is a deadly disease, a disease mostly due to our current way of living.

For most cases we've studied, obesity works like an addiction to eating (especially sugar). People simply eat too much on average, and very unhealthy products. And you have to treat most obese people like people addicted to alcohol, tobacco or an heavy drug. They will behave the same way, most of them will be in complete denial of their situation, blaming genetics or inherited factors, or the so-called "slow metabolism" (no medical study has ever proven such a "slow metabolism" clearly existed). In fact most medical studies show that obese people frequently minimise the real amount of food they eat, that they hide it, exactly like an alcoholic person would do.
And they need to exercise more frequently. I do not mean playing sports or suffer like a marathonian, but just walking a few miles each day. It's not a big deal, really, but it can have a tremendous effect on your health, more than if you play sports (even very intensively) only during the week ends..
And that's where the physical environment, the structure of the city is important. Because if you're forced to use your car everyday, whether because you need it to go to work or to buy your daily stuff, you won't walk a lot. So the worst possible environment (from our perspective), is the extensive disconnected suburb with single housing and cul de sac, where a lot of space is wasted (urban sprawl).

Obesity is correlated by multiple factors, but is more prevalent:

1/ If you have a low level of education.
2/ If you use your car everyday instead of walking, biking or taking public transports.
3/ If you do not have access to varied commerces and services in your immediate vicinity -low mixed land use- (you should boycott the malls and especially discount stores).

And this rule applies in every major metropolis in the world, regardless of continent or culture. So this has led to the twin concepts of walkability and active design. Built environments are now rated on how walkable they are, how they induce a pleasant walking activity.

Why aren't these public policies sold as a cure for actual diseases like Diabetes and Heart diseases? Which can effect people of all sizes? Surely building better environments, better education etc will benefit everyone no matter what their size? So why even mention obesity? Is it because obesity is more exciting than diabetes and heart disease? More visceral? Are we using the vanity of weight loss as the "carrot" to achieve better public health.

G

Glycerine

As someone who works out quite a bit, it is easy to view most of the population as "out of shape". How many people can do 20 push-ups if asked randomly or run a mile without stopping? I've seem lots of skinny people who have no muscle tone and smoke and take no meds. I don't see these people any differently than the fat people mentioned in the OP. They are just an easier target because of their appearance.

Either way, neither group is healthy or in shape and shouldn't be glorified. Less emphasis on body image and more on lifestyle changes is a better way to reach everyone.

There is such a thing called "normal weight obesity" (skinny fat) where one can be underweight or of normal weight but have a disproportionate amount of fat compared to lean muscle.
I've noticed in sitcoms the out-of-shape guys with the thin, beautiful women and have wondered whatever happened to Rosanne. In movies and TV it seems like heavier people are typically in comedic roles which isn't the same thing as acceptance. It seems funny to me to have never heard of this in the slightest, but to have only been overwhelmed by its opposite. Is the premise of this thread real?

Dove has its "real beauty" campaign, but I would say that the women they show are at their healthiest weight.
real-beauty-redone.jpg

The irony is that the parent company (Unilever) of Dove also owns Axe so I wouldn't put too much stock in the "Real Beauty" Campaign.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Why aren't these public policies sold as a cure for actual diseases like Diabetes and Heart diseases? Which can effect people of all sizes? Surely building better environments, better education etc will benefit everyone no matter what their size? So why even mention obesity? Is it because obesity is more exciting than diabetes and heart disease? More visceral? Are we using the vanity of weight loss as the "carrot" to achieve better public health.

part of my mom's research targets this, her full project is neuro cognitive development based on enviromental factors in children from ages fetus-4

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
If we put little produce stands no farther than a half mile apart from each other in residential areas, charged people 50 cents (cash or food stamps) a serving or free for kids on the free/reduced lunch program I think we would at least break even in terms long-term costs. We could also provide every public school kid with a bike (wouldn't have to be new, but we would have to provide repair services) and/or a bus pass. More neighborhood pools with free passes for kids on free/reduced lunch and skate parks would give more people access. I think this stuff would work in my area to reduce childhood obesity, although it gets pretty cold in the winter and that keeps a lot people indoors and I'm not sure what to do about those months. Maybe neighborhood community centers with gyms and produce stands operated on an ice cream truck model.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There is such a thing called "normal weight obesity" (skinny fat) where one can be underweight or of normal weight but have a disproportionate amount of fat compared to lean muscle.

The irony is that the parent company (Unilever) of Dove also owns Axe so I wouldn't put too much stock in the "Real Beauty" Campaign.
Interesting.

Those women are not fat. Possibly they might be slightly overweight, at least by BMI standards. They're certainly not obese.

Anyway, it's PR bullshit so that they can look like a "company that cares," I wouldn't place too much stock in it.
I agree it is PR bullshit, but it was the only example of media images of women that aren't especially thin that I could bring to my mind.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
http://www.naafaonline.com/dev2/
http://pinterest.com/emjoyce/fat-acceptance/
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m945oi25FM1rzc0p3o1_500.jpg
http://cofc-01.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/hiddenagender/files/2012/03/real-women.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/ic8etc.png

These are just a few examples. I'm trying to find the stuff that prompted me to start this thread, but following an ENFP's web trail is damn near impossible. It's all mixed in with stuff about leopards and sleep cycles and cute leggings lol
The third link looks pretty normal along with the statement. The first two don't seem to have a significant following, but are presenting the meme that "body size is not connected to health". It sounds like they are taking what could be a reasonable idea too far.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This might be more of a personal thing. But I've gotten called "curvy" (True curviness has nothing to do with weight. I have naturally larger breasts and naturally wide hips. If I lost my curves with weight loss, I wouldn't be curvy), been told that if I lost a proper amount of weight I'd look unhealthy, and had all of the fat acceptance excuses made for me. Did the bullying I was subjected to help? No. But fat acceptance helped even less.

For me to get up off of my ass, eat actual vegetables, and lose weight, I needed to stop hearing those excuses. I needed to call myself fat, acknowledge my laziness and overindulgence, and recognize that I had FAILED myself.

I can understand that, but I think that's a personal decision. I too have had periods in my life where I've been pointedly self-critical when I felt disgust with myself, and so I completely get that mindset, but I think it's the right of each individual to determine when to make that value judgment about themself, not the right of outsiders to decide when an individual needs to change an aspect of their self that has essentially no external impact (divorcing weight from health as two distinct measures) to continue being treated with equal regard and respect.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
can I still avoid them if I accept them?

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The third link looks pretty normal along with the statement. The first two don't seem to have a significant following, but are presenting the meme that "body size is not connected to health". It sounds like they are taking what could be a reasonable idea too far.

The third link, while the woman is not overweight, is the sort of skinny shaming spread by many overweight people, more often women. "Real women have curves", "Men want meat, bones are for the dog".

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
can I still avoid them if I accept them?

Why do you avoid them? And how, I might add. They're (we're? not sure if I count anymore) kind of everywhere.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why do you avoid them? And how, I might add. They're (we're? not sure if I count anymore) kind of everywhere.

easy. I get little contact with most people to begin with.